Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2831035 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9225 on: May 26, 2017, 12:21:42 PM »
I know, but I have 3 mint rolled Revenge posters, extra mint, so it's good to know my kids will have something after I depart.

T

T, what do you mean by "extra mint?" I thought "mint" was as perfect as could be expected?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:01:59 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9226 on: May 26, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »

A lot of those are from a member here — "Undead" — his consignment pieces that he first offered for sale on this forum about a month ago. I was bidding on a few key upgrades but they just went too high for me.

Many of the posters closed way higher than what he quoted in PMs; I'm sure he's happy.

Congrats, Mike! I'm sure you are a happy camper today!  clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9227 on: May 26, 2017, 01:23:48 PM »
T, what do you mean by "extra mint?" I thought "mint" was as perfect as could be expected?

Not according to 90% of sellers who don't know what mint means.  I return stuff all the time because of a bent corner, a crease, an imperfection on something described as mint.  So extra mint is what I want ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9228 on: May 26, 2017, 01:51:05 PM »
Not according to 90% of sellers who don't know what mint means.  I return stuff all the time because of a bent corner, a crease, an imperfection on something described as mint.  So extra mint is what I want ;)

T

Gotcha. Similar to the way that the word "rare" is so often tossed around by sellers, too.

Thanks.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9229 on: May 26, 2017, 02:30:58 PM »
I know, but I have 3 mint rolled Revenge posters, extra mint, so it's good to know my kids will have something after I depart.

T

By that time, everyone will have forgotten and they will be fish wrapping. :'(
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9230 on: May 26, 2017, 03:25:38 PM »
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9231 on: May 26, 2017, 03:59:52 PM »
Hahaha!!!  I love this!!!  We'll done!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9232 on: May 28, 2017, 01:25:07 PM »
By that time, everyone will have forgotten and they will be fish wrapping. :'(

So be it.  I personally don't collect posters for investment.  Real estate, fine art, markets, that's investment, not movie posters.  Posters is just a hobby to me.  Still, I'd be a fool not to smile a little (and scratch my head a lot) when something I purchased for $50 ten years ago sells for $1.2k in much lesser condition.  So if it becomes fish wrapping, I will have lost $50.  Okay, x3, $150.  I can live with that.

:)
My Personal Collection

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9233 on: May 28, 2017, 01:43:53 PM »
So be it.  I personally don't collect posters for investment.  Real estate, fine art, markets, that's investment, not movie posters.  Posters is just a hobby to me.  Still, I'd be a fool not to smile a little (and scratch my head a lot) when something I purchased for $50 ten years ago sells for $1.2k in much lesser condition.  So if it becomes fish wrapping, I will have lost $50.  Okay, x3, $150.  I can live with that.

:)
Just to be clear, I wasn't putting down your collecting strategy or even dissing that particular poster.

My comment was more along the line at how stuff tends to trend and is definitely generational.  I am in my lobby card phase right now.  By definition, that is mostly pre-90s stuff.  I am finding cards for iconic movies of the 40s-70s that 5 years ago I couldn't touch for under $100.  I am now getting some of them for the opening bid, and most under $30.

Now, I agree that Star Wars merchandise may well be the exception to the rule.  I expect it to have legs for a long time, likely 30-40 more years.  But that 80s=90s fad will fade soon, when the kids of that period start aging.
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9234 on: May 28, 2017, 02:36:48 PM »
You're right.  I'd say that 70% of my 13,000 posters are post 1970, I pretty much own the 80s and everything afterward.  Bruce emailed me a few days ago to tell me that, money wise, my collection was spot on.  Meaning that a lot of my posters sell way way way above what I paid for them.  Like I said before, I'm not in that business so it means very little to me.  Eventually a lot of the 80s gear will be forgotten, the 90s will take over, and so on.  Of course, the classics will always sell, be it from the 40s, 60s or 80s, the Raiders or Back to the Future will always sell, but trends will change and the smaller stuff will disappear.

T
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:41:05 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9235 on: May 28, 2017, 02:48:32 PM »
Sold by John Hazelton... this LB 3sheet for Bullitt, sold for $8950.00 (but it also shows on a sorting list that a Best Offer was accepted). In either case, a really nice result.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BULLITT-STEVE-MCQUEEN-CAR-CHASE-CLASSIC-1968-3-SHEET-LINENBACKED-/162293364299?hash=item25c970364b%3Ag%3A7MkAAOSwo4pYNiQf&nma=true&si=4Zwn8Q8wxFUKu430opECu%252BYyqns%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:49:43 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9236 on: June 01, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
A cool looking, linen backed 3 sheet, for the early John Wayne western, The Man From Utah (1934), sold in early May with a high winning bid of $4050.00 clap clap.

Not bad at all, considering the opening bid was $1.00

The seller was Dominique Besson.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-MAN-FROM-UTAH-US-3sh-JOHN-WAYNE-VERY-RARE-POSTER-/302240068994?hash=item465ee97582%3Ag%3AbioAAOSwXYtYuCky&nma=true&si=4Zwn8Q8wxFUKu430opECu%252BYyqns%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9237 on: June 05, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »

The Hollywood Poster Auction results are in:  http://www.hollywoodposterauction.com/auctions/22/lots/browse

With movie poster results (or passes) starting on page 5 / Lot 401:

http://www.hollywoodposterauction.com/auctions/22/lots/browse?page=5

The folded OS for Casablanca, with an opening bid of $50K, was passed on:

http://www.hollywoodposterauction.com/session_lots/13820/show/CASABLANCA

but this beautiful 40x60 for The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936), sold for $4000.00

http://www.hollywoodposterauction.com/session_lots/13962/show/CHARGE_OF_THE_LIGHT_BRIGADE

And this original piece of poster art, for The Star of Midnight (1936), with wonderful renderings of William Powell and Jean Arthur, sold for $375.00. A nice deal, imo.

http://www.hollywoodposterauction.com/session_lots/13986/show/THE_STAR_OF_MIDNIGHT_ORIGINAL_POSTER_ARTWORK

But the Romanian poster for The Man Who Laughs (1928), that graced the cover of the mini catalog, was also passed on. The opening bid required was $4000.00

http://www.hollywoodposterauction.com/session_lots/14079/show/MAN_WHO_LAUGHS,_THE

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #9238 on: June 06, 2017, 11:47:44 PM »
Wowsa 9200 posts to this thread since I started it back in the dark ages! Who woulda thunk it would survive.

But advancing to the present I loved this special VL poster sold tonight by EMP:

The magazine cover:

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9239 on: June 10, 2017, 03:25:52 AM »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9241 on: June 11, 2017, 08:49:42 PM »
The Pretty Woman for a new generation
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9244 on: June 11, 2017, 09:33:05 PM »
average all three = $150.33

It just goes to show that there is no guarantee in this hobby.  The first one selling for $406 is ridiculous, but so is the vastly superior Advances selling for $22.50.  I was thinking of bidding on the latter, but I already own 5.  Whoever got them got a great deal.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9245 on: June 12, 2017, 01:05:17 AM »
It just goes to show that there is no guarantee in this hobby.  The first one selling for $406 is ridiculous, but so is the vastly superior Advances selling for $22.50.  I was thinking of bidding on the latter, but I already own 5.  Whoever got them got a great deal.

T

say what? I have never considered the advance better. As a matter of fact, I think it's downright ugly

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9246 on: June 12, 2017, 01:13:47 AM »
say what? I have never considered the advance better. As a matter of fact, I think it's downright ugly

Different strokes for different folks.  I think it's a great poster, but it needs to be completely mint (any flaws will show on this one).  The last mint one Bruce sold went for $288 in '14.  A far cry from this paltry $22.50.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9248 on: June 12, 2017, 05:49:37 PM »
\

And it isn't even the infamous 'penis' poster.

uhhhhh.. yeah.. it is.

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9249 on: June 12, 2017, 07:25:37 PM »
Oops.  So it is.
-Jay-