Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2831050 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9075 on: March 29, 2017, 06:45:29 PM »
There is at least 1 more to the set, it is all lettering though ; red on black, title of the movie. I have it, never seen another. I was missing the top one, forgot about the darn auction.

Dale, might you have a pic handy to post?

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #9076 on: March 29, 2017, 07:14:02 PM »

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #9077 on: March 29, 2017, 07:16:03 PM »
Crap, i needed 2 of them!

Here is another.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9078 on: March 29, 2017, 07:17:05 PM »
Thanks! That looks really sharp, Dale.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:20:19 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9080 on: March 29, 2017, 09:39:47 PM »
The Lost Boys

It's part of the set I posted about earlier.

-Jeff

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #9081 on: March 30, 2017, 05:09:18 AM »
Being a LOST BOYS fan, I happened to see these after the auction had finished last night. Ive never seen them before, either.

This set of three JP B2 posters in the landscape format are pretty cool and interesting. They almost remind me of super size lobby cards.

The set sold for $142.00

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4576534

I wish I had seen these  :(
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9082 on: March 30, 2017, 04:14:58 PM »

Dale, does a complete set of these Lost Boys B2s total five?

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9083 on: March 30, 2017, 04:39:45 PM »
The Lost Boys

It's part of the set I posted about earlier.

ah.. now I see the text is the same.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #9084 on: March 30, 2017, 08:51:35 PM »
I dont know if that completes the set or not, these are the only ones I have ever seen  :)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9085 on: March 30, 2017, 10:02:02 PM »
I dont know if that completes the set or not, these are the only ones I have ever seen  :)

I once asked Dan Strebin about photobusta sets and he said they generally came in sets of 8 like lobby cards, but that he had seen as many as 36 for some titles.

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9086 on: March 31, 2017, 01:29:27 AM »
I admit, I've always enjoyed, to a degree, the 1985 flick, Legend.

Composer Jerry Goldsmith's original score was rejected and replaced by a more electronica score by Tangerine Dream (bad move, imho). And the special FX and makeups were quite remarkable for that time.

I own a folded US OS and I think the art is pretty awesome, so I watch for whenever copies come up for auction.

I saw this one auctioned tonight and the description caught my eye. It reads as if there is a question about its validity. Is it a genuine US OS? Or is it a possible repro? And there is a final comment in the description that reads as if its up to the bidder to decide what it is, and not to bid if there is a question:

"Please do not bid on this poster unless you can accept that it is clearly different from the regular one-sheet, and that we don't know its origins."

I guess my thinking is this: Shouldn't any dealer/auctioneer know exactly what they have before it is offered for sale? Why would it ever be left to the bidder to determine what a poster (or any collectible) actually is? And if it is an unknown, wouldn't it be wiser to remove an item like this until it is thoroughly "sherlocked?"  sherlockholmes.gif 

This poster sold for only $28.00, but it might be worth zilch, if it's a repro. Or it might be the real deal. Who knows?

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/1588682.html

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:55:19 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9087 on: March 31, 2017, 05:29:56 AM »
I saw this one auctioned tonight and the description caught my eye. It reads as if there is a question about its validity. Is it a genuine US OS? Or is it a possible repro? And there is a final comment in the description that reads as if its up to the bidder to decide what it is, and not to bid if there is a question:

"Please do not bid on this poster unless you can accept that it is clearly different from the regular one-sheet, and that we don't know its origins."

I guess my thinking is this: Shouldn't any dealer/auctioneer know exactly what they have before it is offered for sale? Why would it ever be left to the bidder to determine what a poster (or any collectible) actually is? And if it is an unknown, wouldn't it be wiser to remove an item like this until it is thoroughly "sherlocked?"  sherlockholmes.gif 
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/1588682.html

I think that knowledge of anything is an ever evolving thing and if the disclaimer is printed front and centre, then that would be fine.

Buyer Beware has its precedents elsewhere, so I would be fine with it.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9088 on: March 31, 2017, 10:44:12 AM »
Seems to me that Bruce was totally up front with his disclaimer.  He never represented it as anything but a mystery.  Bruce is in the business of selling posters, and his reputation lies in not misrepresenting stuff, not in holding onto a large stock of posters of unknown origin.  And if he holds it too long, the consigner gets upset (as we have seen)

There seem to be one or 2 of these every auction.  I think you picked on this one because it intrigued you.  If so, buy it for what it is, a nice image.  Or don't buy it if it isn't what you want it to be.
-Jay-

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9089 on: March 31, 2017, 12:28:09 PM »
I can't say for sure, but they appear to be legit Japanese movie posters.  I've seen them from a handful of different sellers over the years.  Never knew about the title version tho. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9090 on: March 31, 2017, 01:09:05 PM »
Seems to me that Bruce was totally up front with his disclaimer.  He never represented it as anything but a mystery.  Bruce is in the business of selling posters, and his reputation lies in not misrepresenting stuff, not in holding onto a large stock of posters of unknown origin.  And if he holds it too long, the consigner gets upset (as we have seen)

There seem to be one or 2 of these every auction.  I think you picked on this one because it intrigued you.  If so, buy it for what it is, a nice image.  Or don't buy it if it isn't what you want it to be.

As I mentioned above, Jay, I already own a copy of this OS so whenever one (or any poster i own) pop up on the bay or auctions, i sometimes like to see how it's doing or did, sale-wise. Same with the Legend poster and yes, the description also did intrigue me. I never said there was anything hidden about the disclaimer; it was more that this poster is offered as an unknown (suggesting it could be a repro) and that folks should or should not bid, after making their own determination as to what they think it might be. 

My only point/question was that before something is offered for sale or auction, that the seller should know what that item is. And if it cant be determined at that point in time, just remove it from the auction until it becomes a "known."

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9091 on: March 31, 2017, 01:33:37 PM »

I will never sell a poster or other collectible if I cannot describe it correctly
If I don't know what it is, I will never put it onto a collector to find out for themselves

it's MY job to know what I am selling, not my customer's job to try to find out.

My only point/question was that before something is offered for sale or auction, that the seller should know what that item is. And if it cant be determined at that point in time, just remove it from the auction until it becomes a "known."

Jeff is correct. Either you know, or your expertise & methods are questionable

also, we've been here before and of those who voted, a clear majority think as I do

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:38:22 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9092 on: March 31, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »
Rich.  The item was NOT misrepresented.  Bruce clearly stated he didn't know the history or validity of the item.  It was basically offered "as is".  That is different than the poll you referenced where an item had been listed as an original and a question came up during the auction.  I agree with that.  But here the item was listed as unknown origin.

I purchased the following item several years ago from Bruce.  The description stated that he did not know much about the poster.  I did the research and gave it to Bruce AFTER the auction closed.  He has since included my research in subsequent listings.  I didn't want to give it to him during the auction as it may have caused the bidding to increase and I was the one who did the research.

I fully support not changing descriptions during the bidding and cancelling the item if something undisclosed pops up, but this simply isn't the case here.

You all are holding Bruce to an impossible standard IMO.
-Jay-

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9093 on: March 31, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »

Here we go with this stupid crap. Again.

You and Rich with the "If I don't know what it is, I don't sell it!" I understand the point... but with a 25-dollar poster? Come on guys. Getting old.

Personally, I'm done buying from Rich until he stops this petty weekly shit with EMP. Looking back, I never see Bruce picking a fight with Rich, it's always the other way around.

And Erik1925, you instigate him every week with one of EMP's auctions that you highlight like it's some big scam. And then Rich responds to every one with his holier than thou philosophy. Lame as hell.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9094 on: March 31, 2017, 04:05:55 PM »
The travesty would be to lie, make up stuff and try to sell something for what it's not.  The fine folks at Emovie don''t know it all, they make mistakes like we all do.  Live with it.  As long as they say it, I don't see what the problem is.  They are being 100% honest.  It's up to the seller to decide, whether it's a $25 or $10,000 poster.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9095 on: March 31, 2017, 04:16:53 PM »
As far as I recall, Ive brought up 2 posters recently (and your "I instigate every week" comment is completely inaccurate, on both substance and time frame).

The other poster that caught my eye in a similar regard, and that I commented on, was almost a month ago, on March 7th (the Belgian Casablanca poster):

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,237.msg217103.html#msg217103

And now the Legend OS.

That they both had been offered by the same venue is irrelevant; it just happened to be the case. Had each been offered by 2 different sellers, I still would have asked about them.

And why is asking questions or commenting (of this or any dealer/auctioneer) a bad thing? Questions and comments have been posed in many threads about HA, for example, and this has always been OK. People comment, they may agree or disagree on the topics brought up and that's the beauty of a forum like this.

I dont see any problem with asking questions..whether it be about HA, MPB, Cinemasterpieces, emp or even private sellers.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 04:45:58 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9096 on: March 31, 2017, 04:32:34 PM »
Here we go with this stupid crap. Again.

You and Rich with the "If I don't know what it is, I don't sell it!" I understand the point... but with a 25-dollar poster? Come on guys. Getting old.

Personally, I'm done buying from Rich until he stops this petty weekly shit with EMP. Looking back, I never see Bruce picking a fight with Rich, it's always the other way around.

And Erik1925, you instigate him every week with one of EMP's auctions that you highlight like it's some big scam. And then Rich responds to every one with his holier than thou philosophy. Lame as hell.

where am I picking any fights?
I fail to understand how anyone think I'm attacking anyone. These are issues that have been spoken about before by a variety of people.
I stated how I do business and I don't think anyone here can say I don't handle business the same way I explained.

I just think that you should know.
and by the way, I have these posters, they came from an unimpeachable source and are theatrical.

I'm going to make a point of discussing every ebay seller or Heritage if anyone cane post about exactly something they're doing wrong. I'm also happy to discuss any mistakes I may make in the description of any item I've sold or will be selling.

you're off base JC.

-------

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9097 on: March 31, 2017, 04:46:06 PM »
you're off base JC.

Looks like we'll have to disagree on this one.

Let's see how many days we can go before you guys post another EMP auction where Bruce is trying to mislead people. For 25 bucks.

facepalm

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9098 on: March 31, 2017, 04:46:42 PM »
you're off base JC.

I completely disagree, Rich.  EVERY SINGLE TIME there is an opportunity to say something negative about Bruce, you're there.  I have stopped caring, Bruce decided he was done posting, so be it.  I don't know what your issue is, but for you to say that you're not attacking is laughable... C'mon, man, you know I like you, but please don't insult our intelligence.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9099 on: March 31, 2017, 04:56:24 PM »
I completely disagree, Rich.  EVERY SINGLE TIME there is an opportunity to say something negative about Bruce, you're there.  I have stopped caring, Bruce decided he was done posting, so be it.  I don't know what your issue is, but for you to say that you're not attacking is laughable... C'mon, man, you know I like you, but please don't insult our intelligence.

T

I have not said one negative thing about anyone.
all I stated was MY WAY OF SELLING - that's a positive.
I'm not trying to insult your intelligence or anyone elses and it's just as unfair to me for you to say I am.
I will agree, that what I say about how I do my business may show a contrast, but golly man, that's been going on here for years.
I think Bruce generally runs a very good auction, though occasionally, there could be an improvement in this or that area. I have never stated otherwise. Never
I'll say it again, he runs a good auction.
Heritage also runs a good auction. Make that 'great auction'
Peter also runs a fabulous auction
I wish I had help so I could run better auctions like when Anna was helping.
anyway.. I'll say it again.. Bruce runs a good auction. I never said he didn't, all I stated, was MY WAY of doing it.
although, maybe it was a little too self-promoting

-------