Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2794423 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #5975 on: March 23, 2014, 06:14:33 PM »
So they sold for around $2mil.  Is that considered a success or is it mediocre?

T

I'd like to know how anyone can call it mediocre

cue
1-2-3-4...............

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5976 on: March 23, 2014, 06:20:01 PM »
I'd like to know how anyone can call it mediocre

cue
1-2-3-4...............

$2 mil. is not that much money, Rich, especially for the amount of posters they had for sale.  Their estimates on most posters were way higher.  So my question remains, was it or was it not a good sale, especially compared to previous ones.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5977 on: March 23, 2014, 06:25:31 PM »
2mil being a lot or a little is a subjective analysis

selling $2mil in this hobby on one weekend is a phenomenal achievement for anyone

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5978 on: March 23, 2014, 06:26:41 PM »
and PS: I think this is their best total in a couple years by 100k or so
I'd have to check to be sure

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5979 on: March 23, 2014, 06:28:59 PM »
and PS: I think this is their best total in a couple years by 100k or so
I'd have to check to be sure

Thank you.  That's all I wanted to know, Mr. Argument.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #5980 on: March 23, 2014, 06:31:01 PM »
I generally don't pay too much attention to the estimates, they seem moastly like wishful thinking...moastly.  Seemed to me that the nouvelle vague era posters have finally come into their own - at least for this sale.  Super strong Kurosawa but it may have been an unrelenting single bidder driving them up.  I've been thinking '60s auteur stuff would spike a lot sooner than now but have remained relatively cheap, imho.  It did seem like some of the Italian posters were quite reasonable and '50s sci fi has stabilized, or maybe I'm just getting used to the levels it's at.

Curious T, what did you think was cheap?

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5981 on: March 23, 2014, 06:38:19 PM »
Most of the big-money items were in Round 1 and most of them made at least low estimates (which do not reflect the 19% BP).  I only sporadically watched the later rounds, so maybe they were below low estimates.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5982 on: March 23, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
T, I hadn't looked to see what the final tally was.
$2.004mil

I think that beats their last few sales by a couple hundred K and is def their best sale in 2-3 years

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5983 on: March 23, 2014, 07:11:19 PM »

Son of Frankenstein half sheet sold for $40K

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7094&lotNo=83257#Photo

The post auction listing page shows that the new owner is already "proactively entertaining Offers."

Just click and submit.  ;)

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5984 on: March 23, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »
Curious T, what did you think was cheap?

None of the stuff I bought, unfortunately ;)

No seriously, I don't know precisely and I don't have time to go back and find out.  I just remember thinking a lot of times that this or that item should/could have sold for more.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5985 on: March 23, 2014, 07:20:46 PM »
The post auction listing page shows that the new owner is already "proactively entertaining Offers."

Just click and submit.  ;)

that just means they have a setting set to yes that will entertain offers on material they have won.
I have my setting at No, but if I had it at Yes, the one item I won today would have that button even though I haven't even been billed yet.

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5986 on: March 23, 2014, 07:26:06 PM »
Might be fun to click it, make an offer, and see what he/she says.  8)

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5987 on: March 23, 2014, 07:47:29 PM »

Even if there is a way to stabilize this, there ain't no way of reversing the damage that has been done.
Seems to me, this art is totally hedged.
What a shame.

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5988 on: March 23, 2014, 08:17:32 PM »
$2 mil. is not that much money, Rich, especially for the amount of posters they had for sale.  Their estimates on most posters were way higher.  So my question remains, was it or was it not a good sale, especially compared to previous ones.

T

Not sure on which posters their estimates were "way higher", that might just be perception based on one or two high-visibility pieces (Like the '47 Dracula 3-sheet, which was estimated at double the price of the '38 Frankenstein 3-sheet's last sale).
I went to the auction results page and just clicked on page 4 and checked through a dozen or so results and everything was within or over the estimate except for the Sunset Boulevard insert (which was within $130 of low estimate). So it seems pretty solid.

There are barely over a handful of players who do $1 million+ in sales per year, let alone double that number in a weekend. It takes Heritage's next closest competitor about 5 months of all sales combined to reach that 2 million number.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5989 on: March 23, 2014, 08:38:03 PM »
None of the stuff I bought, unfortunately ;)

No seriously, I don't know precisely and I don't have time to go back and find out.  I just remember thinking a lot of times that this or that item should/could have sold for more.

T

Thierry has all the answers:

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #5990 on: March 23, 2014, 10:48:06 PM »

Even if there is a way to stabilize this, there ain't no way of reversing the damage that has been done.
Seems to me, this art is totally hedged.
What a shame.

That about sums it up for me, also.  But I also look at it as there is only one original painting of that iconic art, and considering that, it's still a rad piece.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5991 on: March 23, 2014, 11:25:09 PM »
A large number of unused examples of these were found decades ago along with numerous "Georges" and "Carters". Every Houdini collector has one.

Hmmm very interesting...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5992 on: March 23, 2014, 11:30:43 PM »
So my takeaways are that estimates on Gilda and Casablanca paper really need to be fine-tuned upwards in the future (after this 1/2 sheet and the insert earlier)...

Just goes to show estimates mean nothing in the end
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5993 on: March 24, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »
So my takeaways are that estimates on Gilda and Casablanca paper really need to be fine-tuned upwards in the future (after this 1/2 sheet and the insert earlier)...

I'd say the high end of the market is very volatile and unpredictable, presumably due to the low number of players at that level.  That Cassie half sheet has been all over the map.  Two years ago it didn't sell - I can't remember the start price but it was much lower than $70,000:

Mirosae

« Reply #5994 on: March 24, 2014, 10:25:02 AM »

Sadly I agree about Casy. Dear me. Gave up on the insert and clearly wont get the HS any soon.dammit.

I don't mind estimates.  I quite like them when I get my poster much cheaper than the estimated estimate hehehe

Mirosae

« Reply #5995 on: March 24, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »
that just means they have a setting set to yes that will entertain offers on material they have won.
I have my setting at No, but if I had it at Yes, the one item I won today would have that button even though I haven't even been billed yet.

Has anyone tried this "make an offer to the owner" on HA? Does it work..anyone. ?

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #5996 on: March 24, 2014, 01:19:20 PM »
Hey Rosa...Thanks for the kind words about my purchase:)

And yes, I have twice tried the "make an offer" option.  Both times it was rejected.  Not a good track record  :-\

Mirosae

« Reply #5997 on: March 24, 2014, 01:34:57 PM »
Hey Rosa...Thanks for the kind words about my purchase:)

And yes, I have twice tried the "make an offer" option.  Both times it was rejected.  Not a good track record  :-\

Thank you for lettting me know and sorry to hear you didnt get it. I heard similar feedback from other people.  :-[

The poster I might be tempted to go for has had two offers (the owner rejected both, one it was $3000+ his original purchase price  :-\) So not sure if they are really ''entertaining offers'' or just "entertaining" themselves..

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5998 on: March 24, 2014, 02:56:55 PM »
I had to google "Ballester".

Wow, really?  I find it extremely sad that a poster dealer, meaning someone whose business it is to buy and sell movie posters, therefore someone who should know a little bit more about them than say the average collector, would have to google "Ballester".  Granted, Anselmo Ballester is no "Pretty Woman," but still...

Maybe this will help.

T
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:59:43 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Charlie

« Reply #5999 on: March 24, 2014, 03:07:48 PM »
Wow, really?  I find it extremely sad that a poster dealer, meaning someone whose business it is to buy and sell movie posters, therefore someone who should know a little bit more about them than say the average collector, would have to google "Ballester".  Granted, Anselmo Ballester is no "Pretty Woman," but still...

Maybe this will help.

T

So that is what drove the Texas 4F purchase...  I was thinking, why the hell would T buy a Texas poster?  He's French-Californian - oil and water to Texas...