Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2791501 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9850 on: May 09, 2018, 02:41:53 PM »
if I need a specific piece and if it doesn't come up too often, I will pay whatever I have to pay.  There is no limit and I won't be beat.
Quote from: eatbrie
  I always set very strict parameters on myself when I bid and I'm glad I do because I would have totally overspent on several occasions.

??? hmmm.gif
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9851 on: May 09, 2018, 02:43:05 PM »
Hi.  Question please about prices.  I have historically collected lobby cards, and most recently have gotten into posters.  I posted in another thread recently how I thought EMP had gotten much more expensive, and perhaps just auctions in general over the last year.  To help me get a grasp about this, I wanted to ask you about the auction result for the "Woman on the Run" OS auctioned last night on EMP for $155.  Here is the poster:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&auction_uid1=5039936

I had watched this poster but in the end was way off base in terms of what I envisioned the end price would be, which is overall symptomatic of a lot of the posters I see.  "Woman on the Run" is not a mainstream film, and while it has gotten more popularity after being restored by the Film Noir Foundation and released by Flicker Alley, it still is not in the mainstream rank.  This poster has darkened a good bit, has significant fold tears and some paper loss.  Can I ask the opinion of you guys who are pros at this.  At auction start, would you have envisioned a poster of this title and condition going for $155.  It is possible that I just don't understand the poster market well enough yet.  I am very happy for the person who got it, and not meaning to insult in any way the person who paid $155 for it, and I just very surprised and looking to get some opinions.

Thanks,
Matthew

Somebody (or somebodies) really want paper on Woman on the Run lately.  All the 1/2 sheets that Movieposterexhange have been auctioning on the title over the last few months have gone for more than I would have expected too.  Possibly a coincidence...or maybe not!
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9852 on: May 09, 2018, 02:45:04 PM »
??? hmmm.gif

It just means for that 5th copy of Justin Bieber there will be strict parameters whereas for the only known French Laura sky's the limit!  8)
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9853 on: May 09, 2018, 02:47:39 PM »
??? hmmm.gif

A specific piece doesn't mean ALL OF THEM.  99% of them are within my strict parameters.  A few go beyond.

Clear enough for your little brain?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9854 on: May 09, 2018, 02:48:33 PM »
It just means for that 5th copy of Justin Bieber there will be strict parameters whereas for the only known French Laura sky's the limit!  8)

Now that's funny  thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9855 on: May 09, 2018, 02:53:08 PM »
A specific piece doesn't mean ALL OF THEM.  99% of them are within my strict parameters.  A few go beyond.
Clear enough for your little brain?

so "Always" doesn't mean "always".
got it.  thumbup
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9856 on: May 09, 2018, 02:54:04 PM »
Why don't you focus on bashing Bruce?  It seems to be your calling and you're so good at it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9857 on: May 09, 2018, 03:01:59 PM »
Why don't you focus on bashing Bruce?  It seems to be your calling and you're so good at it.

You never give it a rest do you? learn to take a joke sometimes. You're the one who said always, not me. I was just having fun there.

And sorry, but pointing out that someone is purposefully selling a fake after being told it's a fake, isn't bashing.
If it was any other seller, you would be piling on yourself.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9858 on: May 09, 2018, 03:05:04 PM »
And sorry, but pointing out that someone is purposefully selling a fake after being told it's a fake, isn't bashing.

And I don't give it a rest?  notworthy.gif  Okay, you win!!!  Good for you.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9859 on: May 09, 2018, 03:08:34 PM »
I wanted to ask you about the auction result for the "Woman on the Run" OS auctioned last night on EMP for $155. 

2nd tier film noir. actually quite a good film. Poster used to sell very well at 100+, and any copy in nice condition is a rarity as the paper stock on this title browns quickly (just like City that Never Sleeps)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9860 on: May 09, 2018, 03:10:07 PM »
It's always easy to focus on the one or two items that sell for an extreme price one way or the other, but it really doesn't seem like the sky is falling or that prices are spiraling skyward.

totally correct

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9861 on: May 09, 2018, 03:16:43 PM »
so "Always" doesn't mean "always".
got it.  thumbup

I also make mistakes, btw.  Yes, crazy, but it happens.  Even within my strict parameters.  So no, always doesn't always mean always.

Sometimes I buy something on a whim, like the Thunderball 6sht.  I had no intention to buy it until I bought it.  Result: I overpaid.  Now Bruce is selling one.  6 more days and I will be banging my head against the wall.

T
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:17:53 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9862 on: May 09, 2018, 03:29:21 PM »
Sometimes I buy something on a whim, like the Thunderball 6sht.  I had no intention to buy it until I bought it.  Result: I overpaid.  Now Bruce is selling one.  6 more days and I will be banging my head against the wall.

Ok, I'm going to go bid on Thunderball just so you don't feel like you overpaid so much.  cheers
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9863 on: May 09, 2018, 05:34:22 PM »
Would you?  Please.  Thanks.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9864 on: May 09, 2018, 06:43:25 PM »
It's always easy to focus on the one or two items that sell for an extreme price one way or the other, but it really doesn't seem like the sky is falling or that prices are spiraling skyward.

Very True... and there were a handful of pieces that sold in Tuesday's Emovie Lobby Card auction that were total anomalies...you cant reasonably expect to use them as "guides" for pricing similar items or expect them to fetch anything close to that again....take for instance this lobby card that I consigned:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/5997853.html

There is no way I would have ever expected it to go for even half that amount....I'm pleased it sold for so much considering I paid about $30 for it a few years ago on ebay....but I cant reasonably expect to consign other Harold Lloyd cards from the silent era and expect to get a similar result...and it would be similarly silly for other sellers/dealers to now price them in that range...imho
Tait

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #9865 on: May 09, 2018, 09:06:03 PM »

I usually try to follow the strict parameter that I set for a poster that I find at the beginning of an auction.  That is what led to my question because for a good amount of time, I was able to do fairly well sticking to those parameters.  Not always.  I would lose some bids by sticking to my guns.  Or, like you, there were some that I would go higher for because I really wanted them.  But lately I have stuck to my parameters and most often come up short.

It was interesting the analysis of how much percentage went for $20 and below, etc.  Perhaps I am just focusing these days on higher end posters....although I don't really call "Woman on the Run" higher end.  And yes, the 1/2 sheets on Movieposterexchange, and on ebay, have been selling high lately for that title.  Curious that there is such interest in this title, although as I mentioned I also like it and it is considered in the Noir genre.  But, if I were to buy a OS of "Woman on the Run", I would not buy a poster in that condition unless it went cheap.  And if that poor quality OS went for $155, then likely a very good OS is out of what I would be comfortable paying for that title. 

And I also noted the curious comment that this particular movie title's paper darkens considerably.  Interesting.  Is that true for all of the paper, i.e. 1/2 sheets, OS's, 3SH's?  I never knew that.

Matthew

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9866 on: May 09, 2018, 10:03:19 PM »
Oh my stars! I was quite surprised/shocked to see the closing price of a certain poster on eMovie tonight. It is for a cheesy/sleazy/awful/laughable 70's horror flick from Mexico called "Night of a Thousand Cats". Sure, I have the movie and I totally dig the schlocky poster artwork (and have a copy or two myself). But really? $363 for that? HA!  Too funny.

Here's the closed auction link:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&auction_uid1=5039580

Here is what the poster looks like (found online---not the auction photo or a picture of my copy):

$363?  I buy crap like that all of the time---because I dig it---but NOT for $363. Jeepers!
  Hi Monster, I showed this poster to my wife during the auction.  That background of a thousand crazed cats is pure, crazy, drive - in, pickup truck bed viewing pleasure.  Okie

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #9867 on: May 09, 2018, 11:23:12 PM »
Hey OAKIE!  Yes, it is a wonderfully cheesy/sleazy poster. I have a copy or two. I dig it. But $363? YIKES!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9868 on: May 10, 2018, 06:01:45 AM »
And I also noted the curious comment that this particular movie title's paper darkens considerably.  Interesting.  Is that true for all of the paper, i.e. 1/2 sheets, OS's, 3SH's?  I never knew that.

Matthew

just the one sheets

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9869 on: May 10, 2018, 11:23:23 AM »
Very True... and there were a handful of pieces that sold in Tuesday's Emovie Lobby Card auction that were total anomalies...you cant reasonably expect to use them as "guides" for pricing similar items or expect them to fetch anything close to that again....take for instance this lobby card that I consigned:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/5997853.html

There is no way I would have ever expected it to go for even half that amount....I'm pleased it sold for so much considering I paid about $30 for it a few years ago on ebay....but I cant reasonably expect to consign other Harold Lloyd cards from the silent era and expect to get a similar result...and it would be similarly silly for other sellers/dealers to now price them in that range...imho

That card was on my radar, but it quickly went over my price before I bid on anything.
Still, it was an auction that was on fire.  Of the 174 lobbies, 25 went for over $1k and double that over $500.
That's too many to be a fluke.  Granted, there were 2-3 deep pockets out there that were driving prices up, but that auction was also filled with unicorns and the prices reflected it.
-Jay-

guest4955

« Reply #9870 on: May 13, 2018, 05:37:21 PM »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9871 on: May 14, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »
I also make mistakes, btw.  Yes, crazy, but it happens.  Even within my strict parameters.  So no, always doesn't always mean always.

T

Okay, so I wasn't a complete idiot on that Thunderball 6sht, since Bruce's copy has just passed what I paid at Heritage Signature a couple months ago :)

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5051480

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9872 on: May 14, 2018, 06:55:06 PM »
Bruce's is a lovely copy though.  Flawless.

I think the Heritage copy had some pinholes and the odd tear.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9873 on: May 14, 2018, 07:21:47 PM »
A nice realized price at Heritage last night, when their copy of a "Why So Serious" The Dark Knight (2008) OS went for $310.70 (inc the BP). clap clap

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/action/the-dark-knight-warner-brothers-2008-one-sheet-27-x-40-ds-advance-style-a-why-so-serious-action/a/161819-52103.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

And this LC for the Chaney Sr flicker, Laugh, Clown, Laugh (1928), went for $442.25 (inc the BP)  thumbsup.gif

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/drama/laugh-clown-laugh-mgm-1928-lobby-card-11-x-14-drama/a/161819-52227.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-endofauction

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:24:05 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9874 on: May 14, 2018, 08:54:28 PM »
Bruce's is a lovely copy though.  Flawless.

I think the Heritage copy had some pinholes and the odd tear.

Maybe, I don’t know, I’m not going to get my copy for a few months.  Either way, I don’t think it matters that much on something this big.  On a one sheet, for sure, but not on a six sheet.  If there is a tear, I’ll fix it myself before I shove it in a drawer.

T
My Personal Collection