Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2823115 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10750 on: August 12, 2021, 03:37:57 PM »
Who should be on the planning committee for "The Horror Posters of Argentina" potential exhibit? How many posters do we need to have a decent show? Should we start a new thread? I can contribute five posters so far. With Covid looks like we have plenty of time to plan. Matias, I think you have plenty of goodies already!  Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10751 on: August 16, 2021, 05:24:23 PM »
When will people understand that those struzan Revenge posters are not worth that much.  I have 4 rolled and absolute mint, I know people who have a dozen, Bruce and HA have them for sale every single week, there are tons of them out there.  Why then do they sale for $3k?  Am I missing something?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #10752 on: August 16, 2021, 07:04:29 PM »
When will people understand that those struzan Revenge posters are not worth that much.  I have 4 rolled and absolute mint, I know people who have a dozen, Bruce and HA have them for sale every single week, there are tons of them out there.  Why then do they sale for $3k?  Am I missing something?

T

I think of it like the luxury watch market. Rolex makes thousands of the same submariner every year, yet it’s impossible to get at retail. They sell 50% market all day every day because tons of people want them. It’s also like breakfast aT Tiffany’s one sheets. I see them every auction, yet the price seems stronger than ever. Back to the future is another poster… they are everywhere yet the price is going up and up every auction cycle. Maybe it’s new people flooding the hobby?

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10753 on: August 16, 2021, 07:27:54 PM »

I think of it like the luxury watch market. Rolex makes thousands of the same submariner every year, yet it’s impossible to get at retail. They sell 50% market all day every day because tons of people want them. It’s also like breakfast aT Tiffany’s one sheets. I see them every auction, yet the price seems stronger than ever. Back to the future is another poster… they are everywhere yet the price is going up and up every auction cycle. Maybe it’s new people flooding the hobby?

Exactly.  You can add Jaws to the list of very common posters that one can find absolutely anywhere yet seem to command relatively high prices in relation to their complete lack of rarity.  Those posters are familiar to everyone and therefore there is always a demand for them.  The fact that there is nothing special about owning them doesn't have any effect on their popularity.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #10754 on: August 17, 2021, 11:57:24 AM »
Doesn’t slow comics down. Graded population of Hulk 181 is like 30K publication probably close to 100K not rare at all but these sell for $10-20k on a regular basis.

I think there is a a availability sweet spot for the most desired posters. Like marketing a company. If you can’t find it out of sight out of mind. But if your buddy has one and you can get one too…

Weird economics for sure.

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10755 on: August 17, 2021, 12:07:58 PM »

T

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

Star Wars has one of the largest, most dedicated fan bases out there. There are several thousand more collectors looking for copies of that poster than there are available.
it's pretty easy to understand actually.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #10756 on: August 17, 2021, 12:20:29 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

Star Wars has one of the largest, most dedicated fan bases out there.

True. I've sold a couple large billboards posters for recent Star Wars films (far less desirable that first trilogy US posters) with no problem.
Thank god for Star Wars fan base!
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10757 on: August 17, 2021, 01:23:46 PM »

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #10758 on: August 18, 2021, 07:54:12 AM »
These guys are joker.

I prefere a poster correctly framed and havin waves than a poster without waves but badly framed.
Advices given here are wrong imo.  He would have a prefer a backing, really? Ahahaha.  And glass should have been used, hmmm...

Glass framing is fine but it is heavy, glass can brake and endommage the poster, glass catches humidity so spacers are needed to ensure glass don't touch the poster, and because spacers are needed, then some backing or tapes are necessary to hold the poster in place.    Acrylic sandwich frame is the way to go.
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #10759 on: August 18, 2021, 09:08:23 AM »
True. I've sold a couple large billboards posters for recent Star Wars films (far less desirable that first trilogy US posters) with no problem.
Thank god for Star Wars fan base!

You are very welcome!  ;D
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #10760 on: August 18, 2021, 09:27:45 AM »
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10761 on: December 23, 2021, 09:01:13 PM »
With the mid-auction discussion on prices, I thought I'd point out at the emovieposter auction (December 21st) the final price added together on the eight lobby cards for Dracula (RR 1951) was over $9,000.  Holy Moly! They were very nice, though I was sure surprised at that high price. Okie

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10762 on: December 24, 2021, 11:31:58 AM »
With the mid-auction discussion on prices, I thought I'd point out at the emovieposter auction (December 21st) the final price added together on the eight lobby cards for Dracula (RR 1951) was over $9,000.  Holy Moly! They were very nice, though I was sure surprised at that high price. Okie

Hy Okie, Remember back in 2004 when Bruce offered a complete Dracula set and it sold for nearly $6K? It's about time it finally completed the catch-up to Frankenstein levels don't you think? With several individual original release Dracula cards recently topping six-figures each, the Realart set is by far the best way to get some great Dracula cards.
Merry Christmas
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10763 on: December 24, 2021, 02:16:49 PM »
Crow, Yeah, that sure was a beautiful RR-1951 Dracula lc set back in 2004! There was a set last year at HA with some light restoration on a couple of cards that made $3,000. I missed seeing that set.  I'm even more glad now I bought the one sheet. I hope this doesn't increase the argument to split up complete sets, though it probably does. Merry Christmas to you all in the ATL, too!  I just got off riding my bike here on the Gulf Coast in shorts.  Okie

Hy Okie, Remember back in 2004 when Bruce offered a complete Dracula set and it sold for nearly $6K? It's about time it finally completed the catch-up to Frankenstein levels don't you think? With several individual original release Dracula cards recently topping six-figures each, the Realart set is by far the best way to get some great Dracula cards.
Merry Christmas

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10764 on: April 23, 2022, 09:22:54 PM »
First day in the books. 

I missed out on so much stuff, either because I was busy doing something else (kids' soccer  eyeroll) or it went for too much.  But I did get those three, so I'll live.

Yes, Jezebel is linenbacked unfortunately, but I have been searching for a mint folded one long enough and now I'm done.  So mint linenbacked will do.

What about you guys?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10765 on: April 24, 2022, 12:12:21 AM »
I got this FOLDED copy of This Gun for Hire, one of my favorite film noirs with arguably one of the most iconic images of the entire genre. I'm very pleased with this acquisition because it's almost impossible to find an example that's not linenbacked.  It's been on my Holy Grail list for a very long time, and I've been very close to get a linenbacked example on a couple of occasions over the years, but I've held off hoping to come across a folded copy, so this feels pretty awesome.  I can't wait to frame this beauty.   

« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 12:13:26 AM by Antoine1973 »

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10766 on: April 24, 2022, 06:59:41 AM »
^nice!
i just came across this from 15 years ago - bargain ;D

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10767 on: April 24, 2022, 10:01:39 AM »
I'm very pleased with this acquisition because it's almost impossible to find an example that's not linenbacked.

I wish I could be this patient.  I guess I have been with some titles, but when I see how many linenbacked posters HA and others offer, with a greater percentage every single time, sometimes I feel it's a lost cause.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10768 on: April 24, 2022, 02:08:44 PM »
I wish I could be this patient.  I guess I have been with some titles, but when I see how many linenbacked posters HA and others offer, with a greater percentage every single time, sometimes I feel it's a lost cause.

T

I know, I feel the same way about the prevalence of linenbacked posters when it comes to desirable titles, it's a bit dispiriting.  TBH, I had given up on finding a folded copy of This Gun for Hire, as I had never encountered a single one before the one that HA offered, regardless of condition.  So this felt like a small miracle, lol!   

Obviously, I have relented on my distaste for linenbacked posters when it comes to larger paper for some rare titles (particularly for Italian and French formats, and for US 3-sheets and 6-sheets, as the support does help handling and displaying them), but so far I have yet to buy a single linenbacked (or paperbacked) one-sheet.     

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10769 on: April 24, 2022, 02:16:09 PM »
Obviously, I have relented on my distaste for linenbacked posters when it comes to larger paper for some rare titles (particularly for Italian and French formats, and for US 3-sheets and 6-sheets, as the support does help handling and displaying them), but so far I have yet to buy a single linenbacked (or paperbacked) one-sheet.     

Agreed, but for someone like me who just shoves stuff in a flat file and is slowly approaching the 20,000 pieces mark, linenbacked posters are just impossible to store.  I can put a dozen linenbacked posters in a large tube or 300 Italian or French in a drawer.  It just doesn't work for me.

T
My Personal Collection

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10770 on: April 24, 2022, 03:10:19 PM »
That is a beautiful Jezebel - even linen backed! I was the purchaser of that This Gun For Hire quad back in 2007 but I MUCH prefer your one sheet Antoine.

Mark

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #10771 on: April 24, 2022, 08:02:20 PM »
These purchases T are all huge posters, including 6 sheet, 3 sheet. Good to see the big stuff and nice posters too. I wouldn't mind the Psycho 3 sheet.

Cripes Antoine, very nice poster but way out of my budget. I hope you'll get to frame it soon.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10772 on: April 24, 2022, 11:27:57 PM »
That is a beautiful Jezebel - even linen backed! I was the purchaser of that This Gun For Hire quad back in 2007 but I MUCH prefer your one sheet Antoine.

Mark

Thanks Mark!  I like the quad too, glad you got it (for a song!) back in 2007.

Steve, I'll try to frame it asap, and will post a pic when I do.

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #10773 on: April 25, 2022, 06:46:13 AM »
This Gun for Hire  notworthy.gif

If there's one film noir poster I'd love to display in my home, it's this one! But way too expensive for me
I also love the large French poster of this title but I've never seen it on sale (the medium poster just arrived at this auction, same visual). The German poster isn't bad either.

I just saw that its price increased enormously during the auction, just like the posters of Gilda and The Attack of the 50ft Woman.

I followed a few posters of this sale without bidding. Because the shipping costs for France are really expensive + important customs taxes :
Godzilla *2, The Thing, Woman in Green, Don't Bother to Knock, The Time Machine. And to see final price for the 2 Japanese Hammer Dracula posters.

Psycho, with Rebecca are my favorite Hitchcock movies (the third would definitely be Vertigo). But I haven't seen a lot of his movies (for example, I just saw his movie Young and Innocent, last week)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 06:51:14 AM by AnthonyFR »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10774 on: April 25, 2022, 01:12:39 PM »
So that’s it?  Only 2 people bought stuff at the Sig auction?  Cmon folks, i know we can do better than this.

T
My Personal Collection