Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2794338 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10725 on: August 08, 2021, 02:00:14 PM »
I've made a convenient Emovie response form about today's auction:

1. WOW! Did you see the results from today Emovieposter auction? Can you believe that
  a) every single item would set a record price the week after Heritage's record results
  b) only like a handful of items sold high and there really were bunches of bargains just like Bruce claims
  c) people even bought linen-backed posters. What a bunch of losers
  d) every item sold for a new record low. What a horrible auction

2. Bruce is a
  a) Genius!
  b) Idiot!
  c) Who's Bruce?

3. I
  a) picked up some amazing deals and can't wait to show them in the other thread
  b) just watched as the bidding went sky-high and the "for millionaires only" signs came out
  c) am still trying to get a signal for my wi-fi out in the mountains. Did I miss anything?

4. I can't wait until
  a) these two auction houses go head-to-head again at the end of the year
  b) Bruce goes back to weekly auctions so I can find more stuff for $1 every week
  c) I get a wi-fi signal, did I miss anything?

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10726 on: August 08, 2021, 03:12:51 PM »
I once lived in a house from 1906 with 12 foot ceilings and one huge long wall in what would have been a parlor/courting room back in the day.  The Dawn Patrol 24 sht in Bruce's current auction would have looked great on that wall.  I talk to my wife sometimes about buying an old warehouse to display 24 sheets and other large  posters/art. That would be a great place for shindigs!  Who would come visit?  Okie

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #10727 on: August 08, 2021, 03:41:48 PM »
I once lived in a house from 1906 with 12 foot ceilings and one huge long wall in what would have been a parlor/courting room back in the day.  The Dawn Patrol 24 sht in Bruce's current auction would have looked great on that wall.  I talk to my wife sometimes about buying an old warehouse to display 24 sheets and other large  posters/art. That would be a great place for shindigs!  Who would come visit?  Okie

I would. Just sent an invitation  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #10728 on: August 08, 2021, 05:34:57 PM »
I would. Just sent an invitation  ;)

Sounds like fun…

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10729 on: August 08, 2021, 05:40:13 PM »
Matias and Charlie, 
Well, as fate would have it, I did win the Dawn Patrol 24 sheet!  Holy moly!!! Looks like I'll be stopping by West Plains in a couple of months for an in person pick-up.  Okie

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #10730 on: August 08, 2021, 05:49:21 PM »
You can add "owner of a GIANT Errol Flynn head" to your resume!

Congrats on the score!
Matias

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10731 on: August 08, 2021, 05:50:47 PM »

Congrats on the score!

Oh...I completely missed the auction. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10732 on: August 08, 2021, 05:56:04 PM »

Congrats on the score!

Matias, Between me and you and the thousands of people who look at APF, I am also happy to have bought the Argentinean Cat People in Bruce's auction. You've inspired me, my friend!  Okie

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #10733 on: August 08, 2021, 05:57:38 PM »
Matias, Between me and you and the thousands of people who look at APF, I am also happy to have bought the Argentinean Cat People in Bruce's auction. You've inspired me, my friend!  Okie

An amazing poster for sure. Congrats on that one too!
Matias

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10734 on: August 08, 2021, 06:09:21 PM »
Matias and Charlie, 
Well, as fate would have it, I did win the Dawn Patrol 24 sheet!  Holy moly!!! Looks like I'll be stopping by West Plains in a couple of months for an in person pick-up.  Okie

What is that, Okie?  Post a picture.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #10735 on: August 08, 2021, 06:11:54 PM »
Oh...I completely missed the auction. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I always forget the Sunday one too…

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10736 on: August 08, 2021, 06:14:54 PM »
T, I think Kirby's picture at this link on APF shows it best.  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8876.msg229065.html#msg229065
Okie

What is that, Okie?  Post a picture.

T

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10737 on: August 08, 2021, 06:28:05 PM »
T, I think Kirby's picture at this link on APF shows it best.  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8876.msg229065.html#msg229065
Okie

I think he meant the CAT PEOPLE
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10738 on: August 08, 2021, 08:29:34 PM »
Okie

Wow, you must really like Errol Flynn.  Is it to store or to display?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10739 on: August 08, 2021, 09:57:29 PM »
Hi T, I definitely want to display it as it seems like sacrilege to store it.  Also, I enjoy hosting the occasional poster and comic art public exhibit.  Yes, I Iike several Errol Flynn movies and The Dawn Patrol is one of my favorites.  I also really like this 24 sheet with the strong image of Flynn in pilot gear while dog fights are going on in the background.  Classic! Okie

Wow, you must really like Errol Flynn.  Is it to store or to display?

T

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10740 on: August 08, 2021, 10:46:03 PM »

Congrats on both of those Okie!  Just considering how a 24 sheet from the 30s survived is amazing enough in itself.  I hope you can find some way to display it (at least temporarily) as it certainly deserves this.  And well any Val Lewton paper is tops in my book (especially when it comes from the land of Mr. Matias!)
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10741 on: August 08, 2021, 10:49:44 PM »
Hi T, I definitely want to display it as it seems like sacrilege to store it.  Also, I enjoy hosting the occasional poster and comic art public exhibit.  Yes, I Iike several Errol Flynn movies and The Dawn Patrol is one of my favorites.  I also really like this 24 sheet with the strong image of Flynn in pilot gear while dog fights are going on in the background.  Classic! Okie

I haven't seen many Errol Flynn movies and I probably won't, bc I don't watch old movies anymore.  I know, sacrilege, right?  I watched tons growing up and at USC Cinema School, and I will stick to those.  Flynn was not part of the curriculum.  I like modern movies/TV shows  too much and I don't have time anymore.  Which is why I pass on so much stuff.  If I haven't seen it, I don't buy it.  I wrote a paper on Laura, which turned out to be one of my favs flicks and why I must now own it all.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10742 on: August 08, 2021, 10:58:42 PM »
Congrats Okie on that incredible 24-sheet for Dawn Patrol, a true rarity (that you snatched at a really great price to boot)!  While the movie itself isn't my fav Errol Flynn flick (that would be a tie between Captain Blood and Adventures of Robin Hood), it's a classic nonetheless, and what a great image of its main star on that massive poster... 

If you do end up hanging it, please post a pic on this forum so we can all admire it.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #10743 on: August 08, 2021, 11:21:25 PM »
Matias and Charlie, 

Awesome! Congrats…

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #10744 on: August 08, 2021, 11:59:05 PM »
And well any Val Lewton paper is tops in my book (especially when it comes from the land of Mr. Matias!)

Shh... don't you let aussie posters hear you. They might get jealous
Matias

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10745 on: August 09, 2021, 12:45:37 AM »
Shh... don't you let aussie posters hear you. They might get jealous

Chris

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10746 on: August 09, 2021, 01:44:46 AM »
Monster: Thank you, my Three Rivers, CA chocolate store connection!

Charlie: Thanks, you're officially invited! Thank Matias below.

Chris: You sure are right on 1930s (or, pick most years) 24 sheets surviving. On an Argentinean subject, I think a few of us (Matias as Master of Ceremonies?) should host a "Horror Posters of Argentina" exhibit.  Should it travel to Argentina and the United States?  Canada?

Antoine: Hard to top Robin Hood and Captain Blood! Sure, I'll post a picture when I get in on display. I do expect to see you, though, at opening night of the "Horror Posters of Argentina" exhibit Matias just got voted into above to M.C.

T: The film print quality is quite good of The Dawn Patrol. It stars Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone, and David Niven. I think it's well worth the watch and with your training and experience, you can probably see things and hold a nice lecture on the film we could all attend. I'd be first in line!

Matias: I think I heard you accept the nomination of the above, right?!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #10747 on: August 09, 2021, 07:20:17 AM »

Chris: You sure are right on 1930s (or, pick most years) 24 sheets surviving. On an Argentinean subject, I think a few of us (Matias as Master of Ceremonies?) should host a "Horror Posters of Argentina" exhibit.  Should it travel to Argentina and the United States?  Canada?

Antoine: Hard to top Robin Hood and Captain Blood! Sure, I'll post a picture when I get in on display. I do expect to see you, though, at opening night of the "Horror Posters of Argentina" exhibit Matias just got voted into above to M.C.

T: The film print quality is quite good of The Dawn Patrol. It stars Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone, and David Niven. I think it's well worth the watch and with your training and experience, you can probably see things and hold a nice lecture on the film we could all attend. I'd be first in line!

I'm in!  ;D
I'll just have to get a few posters I'm after and then find some sponsors that pay for framing and shipping of the posters and myself :)
Matias

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10748 on: August 09, 2021, 09:15:06 AM »

That's a DEAL, see you there!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10749 on: August 09, 2021, 10:24:53 AM »

Canada is a must!
Chris