Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2818970 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10475 on: April 03, 2020, 01:53:21 PM »
A certification means absolutely nothing.  NOTHING.  I know someone who can reproduce a signature after seeing it once.  People are fools.

A signature should have the name of the person it is signed to for the enjoyment of that person because he or she got it in person.  Anything short of that is COMPLETE BS.

Maybe I should ask my friend to start a business.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10476 on: April 03, 2020, 02:07:08 PM »
I have a few signed posters as well. But I was there when the celebrities signed them. I stopped getting them signed after George Wilbur, the stuntman who played Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN 4 and HALLOWEEN 6: THE CURSE OF MICHAEL MYERS) signed one. His signature ruined the poster for me. I sold it and got another without the signature...and have not gotten any other posters signed since then.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #10477 on: April 03, 2020, 02:15:58 PM »
Why don't you guys pick a poster and have an APF alumni signature tour and send it across the pond a few times? After it's got few A-listers on there beginning with T and H....one of the Bruces can put it up for auction with proceeds to charity.

I'd bid on it!  As long as y'all make sure to wash your hands every time.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10478 on: April 03, 2020, 02:18:50 PM »
Hahaha!!!  I'm sure there would be some idiot to buy it.  Ooooooh... signatures...  Must be worth a lot ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10479 on: April 04, 2020, 03:51:56 PM »
This is my ONLY signed poster.  It was on an easel at the entrance of the theater for the movie's L.A. premiere and I got it afterward.  I kept it because it reminds me of my years at DreamWorks, so there is a little nostalgia factor associated with it.  Otherwise, it would have gone in the trash where it belongs.

As I was looking for it, I also found this one...  That was used during the last meeting at DreamWorks before Spielberg suggested a title change.  The Uncool was not very commercial.  It's not worth anything, but there is a little bit of movie history attached to it.

T

My Personal Collection

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #10480 on: April 04, 2020, 04:37:10 PM »
I guess it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If it was a title I collected I’m sure I’d spend way more than I should.

Having said that it’s nice that you have a personal connection to it, and I guess that’s worth more than any monetary value.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10481 on: April 04, 2020, 07:07:01 PM »
I guess it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If it was a title I collected I’m sure I’d spend way more than I should.

Hahaha...  Yes, if that was Star Wars related, maybe.  I don't think people collect Almost Famous, although it is a very good movie.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #10482 on: April 04, 2020, 08:21:53 PM »
Ive a Rocky fre 2sh sgs by Sly & Carl (from NYCC - Slys only con so far and showmasters)

Im happy with Elvis , Cazale , Sanders even though i never met them (all been verified)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10483 on: April 23, 2020, 03:50:42 PM »
I was watching this auction this morning (https://ukm.propstoreauction.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/240/) trying to figure out if the current state of the economy was slowing purchasing down a bit and if it was time to pounce.  I never bid on these auctions because between their 25% fee and shipping it's just too expensive. 

But I did watch, and I still can't figure it out.  Some items were low, and some outrageously expensive.  $7,700 for a Hildebrand quad is just stupid, imo.

Any thoughts?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10484 on: April 23, 2020, 06:11:20 PM »
I was wondering the same thing during the last HA signature auction, but the results were fairly strong and seemed to indicate that there wasn't any substantial decrease in bidding.  I guess it might have been a bit too early back in March to see the real impact of the economic slowdown on the hobby.  I'm curious to see how their July auction will fare.   

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #10485 on: April 24, 2020, 03:33:58 AM »
The Get Carter was cheap imo.
£2000 plus the ridiculous BP of 25% = £2500

I've seen these go for around £3500-£4000 so a good deal.

However, I don't think I'm the only one to think that auction houses are just plain greedy.

Yes I know they have wages to pay, advertising fees to pay etc but some are charging 20% selling fee plus 25% BP.

In one UK auction they had 69 lots and they went for just under £38,000

So a rough calculation is that they made £7,600 from seller fees and £9,500 from BP. £17100 total.

Not a bad days takings.

Consider the fact that this was a very small auction - they usually have around 400 lots and then you're getting up towards the £200,000 sales figure -  £40,000 seller fees and £50,000 BP. £90,000 total.

Not bad when you consider they haven't actually purchased anything so have no outlay except advertising fees, catalogues etc.

Must be a chance for an auction house start-up to charge way less fees to get some of that market share.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10486 on: April 24, 2020, 10:57:27 AM »
I totally agree, which is why I don't participate in those sales.  25% fees is just outrageous, imo, and there is something really unethical about it.  Sometimes I see things that I really want and I must stop myself from signing in, but I think it's important to recognize greed and set limits.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10487 on: April 28, 2020, 07:08:55 AM »
And it's usually higher than that, as the 25% is then added to the 3% internet charge, plus VAT on that at 20%.. so around the 30% mark.  Horrendous. One auction house the other day had 28%, plus the rest...

If we don't stop bidding at these places, they will continue to take the piss... 
It's more than a Hobby...

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10488 on: April 28, 2020, 08:07:21 AM »
Buyer's commission was introduced in the mid 70's and has crept higher and higher over the years. Given the seller is the auctioneer's client and receives a service for the commission he pays I've never understood what the buyer gets for the commission he pays.

In the UK there was a failed attempt to get buyers commission abolished in the early 80's -

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1983/mar/08/buyers-premium-abolition

Mark

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10489 on: April 28, 2020, 09:43:21 AM »
I suppose I'm a bit of a whore in that if I saw a poster I really wanted, I'd begrudgingly stump up the BP and fees and go for it...but because I collect at the cheaper end, the ~25% extra means bids end up being higher than what I perceive to be a fair price.

They seem to be selling for a decent amount, so I doubt they miss my custom! I seem to see folk outside 'hardcore' poster collectors sharing their poster auction links...so I suppose their marketing team have done a good job in promoting their auctions.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10490 on: April 28, 2020, 11:53:10 PM »
I saw some familiar APF names won some cool posters tonight in Bruce's auction.  Some really early silent goodies, too! I'm hopeful we'll see some posted!  I got a couple I like from a little later as well.  Okie

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10491 on: April 29, 2020, 04:17:49 PM »
 thumbsup.gif

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10492 on: April 29, 2020, 06:44:09 PM »
Nice ones Matt!
Chris

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10493 on: April 29, 2020, 08:15:30 PM »
thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif

I too thought pretty hard about The Avenging Arrow, Matt!  It has a fantastic design to me. You were one of the collectors I was thinking about! Very nice! Should we put these in April 2020? Okie
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 08:21:55 PM by okiehawker »

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10494 on: April 30, 2020, 05:44:38 AM »
I love The Avenging Arrow - fantastic artwork.

Mark

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10495 on: May 02, 2020, 07:39:02 AM »
Crikey Matt, very nice indeed... happy1
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10496 on: May 02, 2020, 08:30:51 AM »
 thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif, nice ones Matt!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10497 on: May 05, 2020, 05:37:17 PM »
Where are the posters!!!!

I want posters!!!!!!

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10498 on: May 12, 2020, 09:21:57 PM »
Where are the posters!!!!

I want posters!!!!!!

T

Thank God for Bruce, otherwise there would be nothing to buy.

notworthy.gif

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10499 on: June 21, 2020, 11:17:43 PM »
And then I try HA and can't win anything :(  It's amazing how much some crap poster sells for.  I tried to bid on the You Only Live Twice 6sht poster, I put $1,900 ($2,300 w/ BP), even though the last one sold for $1,400 in 2016, and got outbid.  Damn!!!  It's not even a nice poster.

Maybe because the market is so dry, people are going crazy over whatever there is.

T
My Personal Collection