Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2830642 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10275 on: January 30, 2019, 02:20:12 AM »
Conclusion for this topic/thread, as said earlier, this thread sounds like consigning at HA is a piece of cake, it is not. 

I don't think anyone has indicated that Boss. Clearly you need get over a threshold to consign to a major auction house of any kind.

There are also actually numerous factors that help you get in. For instance, they have sold a number of items for me above the 10k price point.
Because I give them that type of material, they are happy to take material valued at less than $100 for Sunday auctions, although I try to send stuff that should sell for $100 or more.

But there is another factor with me, that does not exist with many consignors in any auction: I have never asked for a reserve on anything.
They sold a $15,000 item and it started at whatever their minimum bid is in Signature comic auction, maybe $200. That means that there was no doubt that this item was absolutely going to sell, which translated to guaranteed fees to HA. They love it. I loved it because the last time they sold the same item, it went for $3800.00 (they sold an item for $9600.00 in the same auction that they sold another example of for just $4800 6 months earlier). Of course, it takes some fortitude to offer a DTESS 1sh starting at $1.00 like EMP or HA Sunday auctions, so it's not for everyone.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest4531

« Reply #10276 on: January 30, 2019, 03:01:33 AM »
I inquired about consigning posters to Heritage about 10 years ago and I believe it was even a $5000 minimum value then for the Signature Auctions.  I am not sure if that minimum actually is stated on the web site; at least I didn't find out about it until inquiring about consigning via their web form.  As I recall back then I had 3 posters with a combined value of about $1200. HA offered to take them for the weekly auctions if I could include a bit more value for the initial consignment. Anyway, I ended up consigning those posters to emovieposter. One poster did slightly worse than I expected but the most valuable one got about twice as much as I expected. The experience was good and I was happy with the overall prices achieved.

Anyway, I just recently sent in a consignment to HA for the upcoming Signature Auction and the minimum value threshold did not come up because the items are valued in excess of 5k. But I already knew about the minimum from years back.

So far the process with HA has been pleasant and smooth. I just hope I see some of those vaunted Heritage price results on auction day!

Thanks for that.  Same here, heard about it when I enquired... not before, not even here :)

guest4531

« Reply #10277 on: January 30, 2019, 03:05:52 AM »
I don't think anyone has indicated that Boss. Clearly you need get over a threshold to consign to a major auction house of any kind.

There are also actually numerous factors that help you get in. For instance, they have sold a number of items for me above the 10k price point.
Because I give them that type of material, they are happy to take material valued at less than $100 for Sunday auctions, although I try to send stuff that should sell for $100 or more.

But there is another factor with me, that does not exist with many consignors in any auction: I have never asked for a reserve on anything.
They sold a $15,000 item and it started at whatever their minimum bid is in Signature comic auction, maybe $200. That means that there was no doubt that this item was absolutely going to sell, which translated to guaranteed fees to HA. They love it. I loved it because the last time they sold the same item, it went for $3800.00 (they sold an item for $9600.00 in the same auction that they sold another example of for just $4800 6 months earlier). Of course, it takes some fortitude to offer a DTESS 1sh starting at $1.00 like EMP or HA Sunday auctions, so it's not for everyone.

Let me edit... "My conclusion is"... 

My posters were refused, even for Sunday weekly auctions?  Odd.

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10278 on: February 05, 2019, 02:42:13 PM »
damn, i just saw that Dames (1934) title lc sold at HA last week (27 january) for $288 (inc BP)
i should pay more attention to their ads (would help if they were SMALLER)
EMP would deffo have got quite a bit more

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #10279 on: February 05, 2019, 04:09:49 PM »
Not sure.  I bought this scene card from Bruce last April for $231.  IMO, better condition and better image.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/15242203.html

I saw that title card go by and gave it a pass.
-Jay-

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10280 on: February 05, 2019, 04:56:46 PM »
^ better image? are you blind! who wants bearded dick powell instead of the title card ??? ;D
you are right about condition though (the dinged corners don't bother me much, but it could be faded)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #10281 on: February 05, 2019, 05:12:09 PM »
^ better image? are you blind! who wants bearded dick powell instead of the title card ??? ;D
you are right about condition though (the dinged corners don't bother me much, but it could be faded)

To each his own.  IMO, the TC is cluttered and has a confused style.  It really doesn't know what its trying to say.  Although to be fair, most Busby Berkely title cards tend to be cluttered and disorganized.
-Jay-

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10282 on: February 05, 2019, 05:41:33 PM »
It really doesn't know what its trying to say
it's saying "look at those dames" ;D
but i get your point
i have this english trade advert which i like a lot (never seen a quad so don't know if it was the same, but nice design nonetheless)

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10283 on: February 26, 2019, 03:35:50 PM »
this was a nice bargain for somebody today, Ghost Breakers (1940) US 1sheet unbacked! £240 hammer

this Damn Yankees UK quad didn't sell but i think it looks great. i hadn't heard of the film but will check it out

i got a good deal but i will have to wait till its in my hands and i can see it is okay prayer.gif

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10286 on: February 26, 2019, 10:31:00 PM »
Is a Deliverance half sheet really that hot of an item?  I had no idea.   Okie
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 10:34:00 PM by okiehawker »

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10287 on: February 27, 2019, 12:27:46 AM »
Okie, this isn't a half-sheet but a UK Quad.  They do look similar in pics though...

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10288 on: February 27, 2019, 05:41:52 AM »
It's also one with a "make offer to owner" tag attached. This has always mystified me. How does this work in practice? I have only bought once from Heritage years ago (once was enough) so I'm not familiar with their current procedures. As a buyer, are you offered the option of immediately re-submitting the poster for sale which you just purchased (these things seem to show up instantaneously for re-sale)?

In this particular case, is it likely that anyone would take up the opportunity seeing as how the next highest price that Heritage have sold the poster for is $657?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10289 on: February 27, 2019, 08:20:43 AM »
I need to buy this exact same poster for a friend of mine as a wedding present, but I won't spend more than $1k (I also have to fly to the middle of nowhere with 5 people).

Should I make an offer?

laugh1

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10290 on: February 27, 2019, 08:43:55 AM »
It's also one with a "make offer to owner" tag attached. This has always mystified me. How does this work in practice? I have only bought once from Heritage years ago (once was enough) so I'm not familiar with their current procedures. As a buyer, are you offered the option of immediately re-submitting the poster for sale which you just purchased (these things seem to show up instantaneously for re-sale)?

In this particular case, is it likely that anyone would take up the opportunity seeing as how the next highest price that Heritage have sold the poster for is $657?

I think if you, as a bidder/buyer, sign up to such a function, then the Make an Offer tag just always pops up.  Incoming offers then just have to be accepted or rejected.

As to what constitutes an Offer, I think there is a minimum automatic offer, over and above that item's sale price, you are permitted to make and that will then cover some back end deal for Heritage.  You don't get nowt for nowt.

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10291 on: February 27, 2019, 09:22:59 AM »
I see. Makes you wonder whether they have had any success at all with the ploy, seems unlikely.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10292 on: February 27, 2019, 09:28:26 AM »
Should I make an offer?

laugh1

T

Hold up.  A "Deliverance" themed wedding present?  :o :o :o

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #10293 on: February 27, 2019, 09:39:47 AM »
I see. Makes you wonder whether they have had any success at all with the ploy, seems unlikely.

I've sold a poster via the Heritage "Make Offer" thingie.  It is a setting you select and once clicked it seems to apply to all your Heritage purchases, old and new.

Got a very good price on a poster that had declined in value since I bought it and sort of saved the day.  Wouldn't have gotten anywhere near what I paid had I re-auctioned it.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10294 on: February 27, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »

You can see here that there have been successful deals made through this capability:

https://movieposters.ha.com/c/moto/offers.zx?sortDir=d&sortCol=od&ic19=MotoOffers-Accepted-051418&statusId=1&rpp=200

Chris

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10295 on: February 27, 2019, 11:04:00 AM »

According to a press release from this time last year, they have sold over $10 million through this program (though I believe it is mainly in coins and comics).
The best thing about the program is there is a flat 10% fee, which should please even the hard core Heritage haters like T.

Heritage has an archive showing the results of every offer made through this program, whether rejected or accepted, and it can be sorted by category and price. In my quick glance, the biggest multiple I saw for a poster was an East of Eden six-sheet which originally sold for $717, had resold for $9,000 and there seem to be a few low five-figure resales as well.
https://movieposters.ha.com/c/moto/offers.zx?ic19=MotoOffers-Movieposters-051418
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10296 on: February 27, 2019, 01:20:30 PM »

Just curious, Martin. Why do you call this HA program "a ploy" as though it is something underhanded or not legit? (Or maybe that isnt what you meant, but it reads that way, by using that word).

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10297 on: February 27, 2019, 02:32:42 PM »
Hold up.  A "Deliverance" themed wedding present?  :o :o :o

I know.  It's on ongoing battle with my wife.  She doesn't want me to get it, because we'd still have to buy something for the bride, or something for the couple.  But HE really wants it.  He grew up in Northern Michigan, owns a cabin in the middle of nowhere, so I guess he identifies with the movie.  Maybe it should be a birthday gift.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10298 on: February 27, 2019, 02:34:12 PM »
You can see here that there have been successful deals made through this capability:

https://movieposters.ha.com/c/moto/offers.zx?sortDir=d&sortCol=od&ic19=MotoOffers-Accepted-051418&statusId=1&rpp=200

Thanks for that, I didn't realise you could access that information. Interesting, there appear to have been 18 successful deals (if I read it correctly) in the whole of last year but 6 so far this year. Don't know how that would translate into a percentage of the total deals on offer but it's more than I anticipated.

I've sold a poster via the Heritage "Make Offer" thingie.  It is a setting you select and once clicked it seems to apply to all your Heritage purchases, old and new.

Got a very good price on a poster that had declined in value since I bought it and sort of saved the day.  Wouldn't have gotten anywhere near what I paid had I re-auctioned it.

Good for you. I suppose it being unexpected made it all the sweeter.

Just curious, Martin. Why do you call this HA program "a ploy" as though it is something underhanded or not legit? (Or maybe that isnt what you meant, but it reads that way, by using that word).

No, Jeff, I wouldn't say that, perhaps I should have said "successful sales technique".

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10299 on: February 27, 2019, 06:52:35 PM »
I keep getting these "Make an offer" emails from Heritage on various posters that I have purchased there (notably my Revenge of the Creature 6-sheet), but since I'm not interested in selling anything, I have never accepted of them.  Still I think it's a nice option to have should I ever change my mind about resale, as I sometimes have been offered significantly more than what I paid for.