Author Topic: Bus Shelters  (Read 40256 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Bus Shelters
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:11:51 AM »
I used to get these free from a fellow I know, but stopped getting them as it was hit and miss what titles he give me. Plus storing them is a nightmare.

Anyone else bother with these, if so how do you store them? Some are a vinyl type material so best not to put these in the loft. They are a nuisance in my small poster room, may need to move to a bigger house again....

There's quite a few of these things, you new poster guys must be up on them...
It's more than a Hobby...

Disheveledamethyst

Re: Bus shelter posters
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 09:26:26 AM »
We get plenty of these that come into the theatre, but I don't know if it's just our luck of if it's the new norm, but the bus shelters are almost always the same art as the 1-sheet that happens to be out at the time. We have a history of extremely boring bus shelters that we don't even bother putting up. The only one I have is The Social Network, because I figure somewhere along the line I might be able to sell it to somebody.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:34:45 AM »
Ha ha I know what you mean, I think 99% of modern posters are boring, and was keeping these as I don't throw anything out, and some day I maybe able to swop a few of them for a Bride of Frankenstein teaser, when the market drops out of Uni-horror.  ;)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:43:28 AM »
Ha ha I know what you mean, I think 99% of modern posters are boring, and was keeping these as I don't throw anything out, and some day I maybe able to swop a few of them for a Bride of Frankenstein teaser, when the market drops out of Uni-horror.  ;)

I don't think the bottom drops out for those of us who care.  At least not until we are in the home.  Our kids reap the benefit, and mostly they don't see the point.

I was teaching a cinematography merit badge class for a group of scouts.  I asked them to watch The Maltese Falcon to study lighting and noir technique.  You would have thought I asked them to poke their eyes out with hot irons.  They simply couldn't relate and I had to back off and demonstrate lighting with more modern material.  The funny part is they ended up making a noir movie and re-invented the technique on their own.
-Jay-

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:55:19 AM »
This is my point in a 20 years time who will buy an old Uni-Horror poster. Not our kids, but they may want a Harry Potter... I'm sure some kid who's dad has left him with a load of dusty old monster posters will gladly swap them for a Potter, or a Nemo.  That's more than likely been loaded on to a memory card so they don't have to bother with big lumps of paper. ;D 

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 10:14:11 AM »
This is my point in a 20 years time who will buy an old Uni-Horror poster. Not our kids, but they may want a Harry Potter... I'm sure some kid who's dad has left him with a load of dusty old monster posters will gladly swap them for a Potter, or a Nemo.  That's more than likely been loaded on to a memory card so they don't have to bother with big lumps of paper. ;D 

That's part of why I collect animated posters. Especially Pixar. I think they're more likely to appreciate into the next generation of collectors.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »
Got around 90 or so of these ...
... Managed to get them into 5 boxes, not tubes ...

Some pretty decent ones in there including a Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith Darth Vader version that was printed accidentally with the wrong ink - only three exist.

All are for sale of course ha ha ...

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »
Got around 90 or so of these ...
... Managed to get them into 5 boxes, not tubes ...

Some pretty decent ones in there including a Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith Darth Vader version that was printed accidentally with the wrong ink - only three exist.

All are for sale of course ha ha ...

Best,
Adam

Wrong ink?

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 12:43:34 PM »
Wrong colour, sorry, may be should have phrased that better for clarity.

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 12:48:11 PM »
This is my point in a 20 years time who will buy an old Uni-Horror poster. Not our kids, but they may want a Harry Potter...  

Thats why I bother to still keep around 20 different Harry Potter bus shelter posters - none of the images are in one sheet format.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:49:50 PM by marklawd »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 02:05:08 PM »

Paul,

I think UNI horror material will always be collectible and retain it's value. There isn't much around, and you have to figure that most collectors of those items today were not even born when these movies were released-- and that hasnt stopped them from becoming even more collectible and pricey.

True.. if some kid is passed on something that he hasnt a clue about, he could certainly sell it for something more current, or his own "flavor of the month" poster. 

Current material like that from Pixar or the Potter franchise was/is produced in such sheer quantity, that, for the most part, it will most likely never become as valuable or scarce as UNI horror or other, more vintage items, have become (IMO).

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 02:13:50 PM »
Always be prepared Jeff... Just incase I can get a swop I'll hang on to them. ;)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 02:51:23 PM »
Always be prepared Jeff... Just incase I can get a swop I'll hang on to them. ;)

Indeed.. like any Boyscout should be...  ;)

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 11:09:48 AM »
Luckily I have two of my Favourite Potter poster....

If anyone has any Universal Horror posters they would like to swap for it now, get in quick before the prices go through the roof on these...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 02:05:03 PM »
I have just found these two while putting back some of the larger posters I have.

The question is when did they start making Bus stop posters in the U.K. ? or have they always been produced as this size is sometimes known as a 6sht in the U.K.  Or, Maybe it should be, when did they start putting them in Bus shelters...

These two are from 1984.

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 03:31:09 PM »
... have they always been produced as this size is sometimes known as a 6sht in the U.K. ?

Hi Paul!

I think you'll find these are referred to as either 2-sheets or 4-sheets in the UK.  To avoid any misunderstandings, we usually play safe and refer to them as 60" x 40" - and even then, some people will tell us we should be saying 40" x 60" !  

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:31:43 PM by quadbod »
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 05:28:20 PM »
Any ideas on the time scale Terry?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 05:37:08 PM »
Oh, I was looking at a poster paper chart yesterday and they refer to the bus stop poster size as a 6 sht!!!  If you check my previous posts I referred to them as a 4 sht myself, which seems to be wrong according to this chart...   

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 07:32:15 AM »
Hi, Paul!
I don't think 6-sheet can be right ... what would be the base unit for that?
Calling it a 2-sheet assumes a quad is the base unit.
Calling it a 4-sheet assumes a double-crown in the base unit.
Nothing really justifies it being 6 times anything.
In the US, I think the 1-sheet is (logically enough) taken as the base unit and multiplied accordingly.
I've seen them 'officially' referred to as both 2- and 4-sheets ... but not 6-sheets.
Hence, our preference for sticking with the actual dimensions to avoid misunderstandings ... !

Sorry - no idea on time-scale ... anyone ... ?

Best wishes,

Bruce

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 09:23:59 AM »
In all older English pressbooks, the 40 x 85 posters are referred to as "6 sheets" and the 85 x 85 posters are referred to as "12 sheets", so I think those terms should be reserved for those sizes.

Bruce

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 10:42:27 AM »
Thanks for that, Bruce!  That would approximately tie-in with the double-crown being used as the basis for the multiples - give or take the odd half-inch or so which would have overlapped when they pasted them up!  So, using that system, the 60" x 40" would be a 4-sheet.  In any case, including the actual dimensions is always a good idea to remove any uncertainty!

Best wishes,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 11:53:55 AM »
http://www.vinyl-banners.co.uk/billboard_poster_sizes.htm

I'm a bit rubbish at links so hopefully this will get you there...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 12:23:21 PM »
These basic sizes are from the 15"x20" crown size. A double crown is 20"x30", and a Quad crown is 30"x40"   Quad meaning 4 times bigger.

Once we get over the Crown sizes, life gets complicated. e.g. the British half sheet.... Half of what? Certainly not a 1 sheet,  And a 4 sheet...4 times the Double Crown!!! which is double a crown in the first place, so the 4 sheet is actually an Octo-Crown???

Me thinks this needs more research....  
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:39:15 PM by paul waines »

Bruce

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 12:31:59 PM »
The mistake on that chart is putting "bus shelter posters" by 6 sheets when it should be by 4 sheets. Otherwise the chart looks exactly right to me.

Paul, as far as I can tell, English one-sheets and half-sheets were never used in England! They do not appear in pressbooks, and I have never found an English collector who told me they saw them in ENGLISH theaters.

I have been consigned many hundreds of them, and they almost always come from former British colonies (Canada, the U.S., Australia and South Africa) leading me to think that they printed English one-sheets and half-sheets as export posters (in the sizes commonly used in those countries), and used solely half crowns, crowns, quads, etc, at home.

Bruce

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 12:50:23 PM »
Ye, UK 1 sheets are UK International 1 Sheets.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!