Author Topic: Bus Shelters  (Read 40286 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Bus shelter posters
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2011, 04:46:23 PM »
Haha, quite correct Stew.... ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »
Oh re Zombies, yeah I like em slow.
But the argument isn't so simple as citing Romero, there is some fast-ish zombie action in the start of Night, the kid zombies in Dawn and pretty damn fast.
But SLOW... all the way for this Zomboy.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2011, 11:33:44 AM »
I'm guessing this topic has just about run its course, but I thought I would add these (as ever) useful comments from Sim Branaghan, author of the excellent British Film Posters book...

He says that the basic format for British posters has always been the Double Crown (30"x20"), established in this role by the time of our Advertising Stations (Ratings) Act in 1889.  Larger posters were thus generally referred to by the number of DCs they contained.  Printers created this terminology, so while basic UK formats can be doubled, or quadrupled, or double-quadrupled, after that you have to start referring to number of "sheets" (eg DCs).  For example, a pre-war British "six-sheet" would technically be 90"x40" etc.  Individual DCs were often referred to by the advertising/publicity men as "Bus Fronts" or "Bus Backs" as this is where they were often displayed.  For giant formats, the 60"x40" or "Double Quad Crown" was the biggest individual size standard litho-presses could take, and anything larger had to be printed in sections, often uneconomically trimmed.

The problem, of course, is that this terminology has shifted about.  Prior to WW2 derivations of "sheet" always referred to DCs.  After about 1950, the phrase was increasingly applied to British-printed export versions of American sizes - so for roughly thirty years or so we had one- three- and six-sheets that matched the US sizes (ie 40"x27", 81"x40" and 81"x80" or thereabouts).  But UK three- and six-sheets were defunct by about 1980 - six-sheets disappeared entirely, while three-sheets were replaced by (already existing) 60"x40"s or Double Quad Crowns.  The advertising term for these is "four sheet", although printers still called them "Double Quads" (Terry: .. and I suspect that's where the confusion of them sometimes being referred to as 'two-sheets' originated ...)  Another name sometimes used was "Bus Stop".... which as we've seen only serves to confuse matters further, since from about 1990 this phrase has been increasingly applied to the new size of 72"x48".

The easiest way to avoid confusion is simply to describe the poster in terms of its dimensions.  But even THIS can be fraught with difficulty, since you then has to decide which dimension (height/width) to give first.  And again, there has always been a split - printers always quote height/width, but the Advertising industry has always quoted width/height.  If you look at old (50s/60s) pressbooks, quads are quite often listed as "40x30"......

Obviously, there's some duplication of the information which has already been laid out earlier in the thread, but i thought I would add Sim's comments anyway.

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
Some duplication Terry, but one date I was after 1990 is in there. So Bus stop posters from 1990 onwards were 1800mmX1200mm, and just to avoid the confusion I always give the largest size first, as is right and proper... ;)  And before then Bus shelter posters were 4 Sheets...

So the only remaining date is when did bus stops start being used for advertising, film or otherwise... I'm guessing we need to speak to a Bus/transport Anorak. Anyone out there...   

Alternatively, Post your earliest Bus stop posters, mine (posted above) are from 1984....

Terry you never said Running or Lumbering...You as well Sue.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2011, 03:29:07 PM »
Hi, again!

Sim has added a supplementary paragraph, as follows:

60"x40"s have been used in British advertising generally since at least the 1890s.  They've been used for FILM posters patchily since the end of WW2 (generally silkscreen rather than litho), but were not common, though I've seen occasional 1960s examples for sale from time to time.  The changeover with the 81"x40" format seems to have begun in the mid-70s (following the "tripling" of most circuit-cinemas in summer 1973), and they become increasingly prevalent from about 1976 onwards.  Print-runs for the domestic four-sheet format would rarely have exceeded 500 copies, so not that many survive, even from such a comparatively recent period .  The earliest one I own myself (not that I''ve bought that many) is a Putzu-art double-bill of Holiday on the Buses / Fear Is the Key from Xmas 1973.

Sue instantly went for lumbering.
I need to do more research.

T
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2011, 08:27:40 PM »
My two cents.
LUMBERING...makes for better head shots.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2011, 09:52:25 PM »

LUMBERING...makes for better head shots.

Very true, Ted.

I'd have to go with a combination of lumbering and running.  If any of y'all play Left 4 Dead on Xbox 360 or PS3, it has a great combination of the two.  The game is freakin' intense.  Highly recommended for zombie fans.  I've heard Left 4 Dead 2 is even better.  Great to play on multiplayer, either on line (can team up with others) or with fellow humans in your zombie safe house.  ;D

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »
My new job involves a lot of driving,,and sometimes at 3.am on a Sunday morning I think to my self..If only I had a crowbar,,I`d be off with that,but my morals prevent me from doing so...
One thing though is, I have yet to time it when the dude who replaces these is taking the old ones down and replacing the Bus stops with new ones....
"Hi mister bus top dude..fancy selling that to me for a tenner"? always crosses my mind..one of these days..

Stew
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:33:55 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2012, 06:44:38 PM »
dont talk about bus shelter posters, makes me feel guilty.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Bus Shelters
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
So what's the story with Bus Shelters?  
When did they first pop up in the US?
Were they meant to replace 40x60in posters?

I don't own a lot of them, although I wish I did, about 150 I think.  The oldest one is this one for 1991 The Rocketeer.

I love the format.  Anyone else collects them around these parts?

T

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:22:04 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Bus Shelters
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2014, 10:33:46 PM »
T, you don't consider having 150 of this format a lot?

Oh wait..

i forgot who I was asking...  ;D

-Jeff

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2014, 12:27:02 AM »
I only have a very few. These are my favorites.

apparently I'm an idiot and can't figure out how to link photos from flickr. Anyway, they are Geronimo (1993), and Office Space.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:21:47 AM by erik1925 »
- Eric

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2014, 01:27:22 AM »
I like Office Space.  Nice one!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2014, 03:23:46 AM »
Thanks, I'm pretty sure that if I had a The Rocketeer that size that it would be hung in my media room. They are pretty unwieldy though don't you think? Pretty stiff and take some time to flatten out.
- Eric

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2014, 04:17:29 AM »
I have the Ferris Bus Stop, same as the international one sheet, its spectacular! shame its going to cost a fortune to frame that bad boy

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2014, 04:19:47 AM »
Once you start framing stuff that big, it almost makes sense to buy the equipment and do it yourself.
- Eric

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2014, 04:24:43 AM »
mine is all tatty down one side, picked it up three or four years ago, i noticed another one selling this week on ebay.co.uk, with the same issues down one side (although mine is not so bad). i wonder if someone has a few damaged ones knocking about?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferris-Buellers-Day-Off-original-film-movie-advertising-retro-cinema-poster-/321388152934?nma=true&si=Dj9cwUCPA1vyJe4dGn67L1UrA6A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

guest8

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2014, 07:46:20 AM »
I have probably as many of these as T does .. one of my favorites is horizontal bus shelter for Dark Knight Rises. :) These and Quads are actually my preferred formats.

For those of you looking to frame these bad boys.. its not that costly is you know where to go. Rob over at Spotlight displays will make you one of these with some uv-resistant non-glare for roughly $125-150 shipped. I have a few large format frames from his and his customer service is 2nd to none!

Here is a pic from my stream

and here is Robs pinterest of large format frames that they made ..
http://www.pinterest.com/posterframes/custom-frames-for-any-size-graphic/

http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/movie-poster-frames-gallery.html

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »
Here are some of my favs, from the oldest to the most recent.  I tend to buy more of them these days.  And yes, I'm a dude, so there will be more females than males.

T
My Personal Collection

guest8

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2014, 03:09:40 PM »
T is your Catching fire on heavy card stock/paper like most of the others? I have a copy of that and mine is a material more like a banner. Its the same size as a bus shelter poster and it looks good framed. So I just figured it was a one off meant to be hung in a theater.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2014, 11:23:42 AM »
i have several as well, i am actually going to be dumping the 30 or so banners i have left around here. the bus shelter store so much better. the problem with them is the competition is pretty hot on the decent ones that make it to market, just not enough getting out in the wild.

guest8

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2014, 07:39:36 AM »
i have several as well, i am actually going to be dumping the 30 or so banners i have left around here. the bus shelter store so much better. the problem with them is the competition is pretty hot on the decent ones that make it to market, just not enough getting out in the wild.

That's one thing I hate about bus shelters.. the professional sellers post them up right away with $200+ price tags just to see what the market will take and some loon buys it because its the only one on ebay then every joe-blow on the web thinks that's what its worth from there on out. Case in point would be the Jennifer Lawrence American Hustle poster and the Captain America Scarlet poster. That American Hustle poster is NOT worth more than maybe $40-50!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2014, 08:14:17 AM »
That American Hustle poster is NOT worth more than maybe $40-50!

To you.  Obviously, it was worth more to someone on that day.
-Jay-

guest8

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2014, 04:31:12 PM »
To you.  Obviously, it was worth more to someone on that day.

You know what they say about a fool and his money! :P

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2014, 10:08:53 PM »
You got some nice ones there, T. I particularly like the King Kong, How To Train Your Dragon and The Dark Knight (Joker) posters.
Fallen, you've got some nice pieces as well.
Here's what I have so far:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:21:54 PM by pratschm »
Witty signature goes here.