Author Topic: Empire Strikes Back JP A1 or AUS 1-Sheet  (Read 8351 times)

Disheveledamethyst

Empire Strikes Back JP A1 or AUS 1-Sheet
« on: May 14, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »
This has been my most desired poster since I learned it existed. Not a day goes by that my heart doesn't ache over how much I want it. I wind up overeating and sleeping all day to cope with the sadness.

I recently discovered that the Japanese A1 version of this poster has English text. Since the AUS 1-Sheet surfaces only as often as Haley's comet, I've decided to try my hand at finding the A1. I know it's an unusual and uncommon size, but maybe it's more common than the AUS 1-Sheet.

(I borrowed the picture from Bruce, but it's not hotlinked. I hope that's okay.)

If anybody can help me you'll have my first born child undying gratitude. I'm also interested in the daybill, but I'm not paying $450 for a version of the poster that cuts Bobba Fett in half.

Help me APF, you're my only hope.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Empire Strikes Back JP A1 or AUS 1-Sheet
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 03:25:53 PM »
Why are you so keen on English text.  I know it's something that some collectors care about, but I never got it.  To me, it's all about design, and foreign titles and credits make it even cooler.

Here's the B1 for ESB:

And my all time fav on the title, the French style B (I love the colors)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 03:35:38 PM »
Why are you so keen on English text.  I know it's something that some collectors care about, but I never got it.  To me, it's all about design, and foreign titles and credits make it even cooler.

You know, I wish I could pinpoint why English text makes such a big difference. I don't always prefer English text, my rule is usually to only collect a poster from its country or origin. Which is why, for example, I'm not interested in the US 1-Sheet for Spirited Away or the French poster for Perfect Blue. Since it's a Japanese movie, I want the poster from its country or origin.

When it comes to American movies, that same rule usually applies. I'm not interested in the JP Black Swan posters, for example. But when an international poster has English text, it sort of cheats my country-of-origin rule. That's why AUS and UK posters are just as appealing to me when I'm collecting paper for American movies.

I don't fully understand it either. Maybe I struggle with deeply rooted unconscious racism that has never manifested until I started collecting movie posters. But something about the B1 just doesn't register the same as the A1 or the AUS 1-Sheet.

But you know, if somebody put that B1 in front of me and I found the price reasonable, I might buy it anyway.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »
Okay, I still don't get it, but whatever floats your boat.

I guess I come from the angle of the completist, who wants everything from everywhere as long as I like the flick and the design is different.  There is nothing more interesting to me than to see how people from different horizons interpret the same movie.

My favorite example to illustrate what I'm trying to convey is Spielberg's Duel, especially since it was a made for TV movie that ended up being so good that it good an international release.

Check this out:

This is why I like international posters!

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 03:56:28 PM »
T,Now your just showing off..you control the market on these.. ;D

Very nice collection.

Stew

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 03:59:20 PM »
T,Now your just showing off..you control the market on these.. ;D

Very nice collection.

Stew

No, not showing off...  These posters are on my site and have been seen by many.  Just trying to make a point.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 04:03:01 PM »
No, not showing off...  These posters are on my site and have been seen by many.  Just trying to make a point.

T

I was just messing with you T . thumbup

Stew

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 04:05:20 PM »
Okay, I still don't get it, but whatever floats your boat.

I guess I come from the angle of the completist, who wants everything from everywhere as long as I like the flick and the design is different.

I understand that angle of collection. I've collected that way before with things other than movie posters. I can appreciate it, but with movie posters, I guess I collect much more exclusively.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
I've collected that way before with things other than movie posters.

Like what?
My Personal Collection

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 04:15:43 PM »
Like what?

What did every 90s kid collect? Trading cards. Lots and lots of trading cards.

As I matured I also collected coins and it was always my goal to collect a whole series. My favorites were buffalo nickels and Morgan dollars. I actually eventually completed a full set of Buffalo Nickels, from 1913 to 1938 from the Denver mint. But then I had to go to college and sold them for tuition.

The problem with this method for me was the desire to complete the "set" was what fueled my desire to collect. Once I completed the set, I'd behold it in all its splendor for about a week before the joy completely evaporated. Once I was "done", they no longer brought me pleasure and I wound up feeling like I just wasted my time. That's why I don't particularly miss them.

I went from card games to coins to posters to a brief and regrettable stint in Disney Pin Trading before coming back to posters. Posters is the only thing I've collected where I haven't striven to complete "sets". I collect posters very specifically.

Edit: I do however still have a binder that contains four sets of trading cards that I coveted when I was younger and had the means to acquire when I was older. They have a great deal of sentimentality attached to them though, they're essentially a chronological account of everything I remember from my childhood, so I guess this is the one exception to my own proclamation.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 04:19:57 PM »
I will change.
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 12:10:52 AM »
I will change.

Yeah, right.  And onesheets will come flying out of my ass tonight.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Bruce

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 01:09:15 AM »
"I borrowed the picture from Bruce, but it's not hotlinked. I hope that's okay."

That's fine. But we don't allow hotlinking, because we pay a HUMONGEOUS amount for bandwidth as it is.

Bruce

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 01:23:47 AM »
"I borrowed the picture from Bruce, but it's not hotlinked. I hope that's okay."

That's fine. But we don't allow hotlinking, because we pay a HUMONGEOUS amount for bandwidth as it is.

Bruce

I figured as such. I downloaded the image and rehosted it somewhere else. I assumed that was fine, considering how great of a resource your sales archive is. If it's ever a problem (I doubt I'll ever use images for anything but THIS forum) please let me know.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 08:54:58 AM »
The problem with this method for me was the desire to complete the "set" was what fueled my desire to collect. Once I completed the set, I'd behold it in all its splendor for about a week before the joy completely evaporated. Once I was "done", they no longer brought me pleasure and I wound up feeling like I just wasted my time. That's why I don't particularly miss them.

The joy is in the hunt.  I have a friend (a rich friend) who loves to collect.  He collects at a level I can't even imagine.  When my wife first introduced us, he was collecting scientific papers.  Light stuff like DaVinci notebooks, drafts of Einstein papers on relativity, that sort of stuff.  Later, the collection became pre-renaissance Persian pottery.  He would collect for several years until he had the definitive collection on the subject.  At that point he would organize a museum show and let it be on display for a year.  He would publish a book on the subject, and then he would liquidate.  Usually quickly and at a loss.  The process would then repeat for the new interest.  He didn't keep much if anything of the old collections.  As he once told me, he had held them for a time and they were clear in his memories.  Now it was time for someone else's memories.

Anthony, you stated elsewhere that you strongly prefer posters from county of origin.  I would recommend you be patient, and bid on every legitimate one that comes around.  Sooner than you expect, you will have the one you want at a price you can live with.  You may never be happy with an A1, even if the text is in English.
-Jay-

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 10:29:45 AM »
For a long time, I was "stuck" on English-language posters, then I gave the international posters a chance.
What a diverse, interesting and exciting phase of collecting then opened before me.
Now, I seem to acquire as many "foreign" posters as domestic.
Don't rule out the beauty of non-country of origin posters.  There's a whole big world of goodies out there to be had.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 11:30:46 AM »
I've actually given it a little more thought and think I might have figured out another element of my country-of-origin rule. When I was kid and collected trading cards, I had a special affinity for 1st Editions. They were my favorites. They were "better" and rarer. Even now I have a professionally graded and encapsuled "mint" 1st Edition card that I would probably list as one of my most prized possessions.

But what really made me think of this was the To Catch a Thief 1st Edition that we've been talking about on another thread. I've always wanted a 1st Printing copy of The Great Gatsby and spend a lot of time watching new ones surface pretending I have the means to own such a book. This is another case where I want the 1st Edition because it's "rarer" and "better".

When I started collecting Morgan dollars, the first one I collected was 1878, the first year they were in circulation. More or less, the 1st Edition.

When this translates to my movie posters, country-of-origin posters feel like the 1st Editions. They are "better" for that reason. If I ever bought a poster for a Fistful of Dollars, I would buy an Italian poster. That is the first run of the movie, the 1st Edition. So by collecting country-of-origin (or I guess language-of-origin is a better rule) I am satisfying my preference for 1st Edition copies of my collectibles.

WOOHOO, INTROSPECTION!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 12:52:11 PM »
If I ever bought a poster for a Fistful of Dollars, I would buy an Italian poster. That is the first run of the movie, the 1st Edition. So by collecting country-of-origin (or I guess language-of-origin is a better rule) I am satisfying my preference for 1st Edition copies of my collectibles.

But that's not always true.  Thor came out internationally before the US.  Midnight in Paris is an American movie that takes place in the city of lights.  It opened in France last week.  If you were going to buy the poster, which one would you buy?

T
My Personal Collection

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 01:37:16 PM »
But that's not always true.  Thor came out internationally before the US.  Midnight in Paris is an American movie that takes place in the city of lights.  It opened in France last week.  If you were going to buy the poster, which one would you buy?

T

Good question. I don't think I have an answer for that.

My first reaction is the American poster, but that goes against my own rule. I suppose there are always exceptions.

longdog

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 05:20:51 PM »
This has been my most desired poster since I learned it existed. Not a day goes by that my heart doesn't ache over how much I want it. I wind up overeating and sleeping all day to cope with the sadness.

I recently discovered that the Japanese A1 version of this poster has English text. Since the AUS 1-Sheet surfaces only as often as Haley's comet, I've decided to try my hand at finding the A1. I know it's an unusual and uncommon size, but maybe it's more common than the AUS 1-Sheet.

(I borrowed the picture from Bruce, but it's not hotlinked. I hope that's okay.)

If anybody can help me you'll have my first born child undying gratitude. I'm also interested in the daybill, but I'm not paying $450 for a version of the poster that cuts Bobba Fett in half.

Help me APF, you're my only hope.

With regard to this particular poster I'm not sure if you are already aware but this version was used for the soundtrack release and not the theatrical.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 05:33:07 PM »
With regard to this particular poster I'm not sure if you are already aware but this version was used for the soundtrack release and not the theatrical.

I did NOT know that! Hmm... Thank you for that information.

I think, considering it's my favorite image of any poster I'm aware of, I don't even mind.