Author Topic: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters  (Read 664884 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Non-Alamo Graphic Art Movie Posters
« Reply #775 on: June 09, 2014, 11:38:45 PM »
I know. But I assume it's the same elsewhere. A year or two ago I was told by Australia post that America had added an extra charge for mail entering the states so they could do extra security checks. This is only for parcels above a certain size and or weight.
It's IMHO not really fair. If America wants extra security checks then America should foot the bill.
I used to mail to USA for $12 and the same parcel now is at least $25 (with no insurance)
Makes selling $10 posters to the states almost impossible.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #776 on: June 09, 2014, 11:41:45 PM »
I know. But I assume it's the same elsewhere. A year or two ago I was told by Australia post that America had added an extra charge for mail entering the states so they could do extra security checks. This is only for parcels above a certain size and or weight.
It's IMHO not really fair. If America wants extra security checks then America should foot the bill.
I used to mail to USA for $12 and the same parcel now is at least $25 (with no insurance)
Makes selling $10 posters to the states almost impossible.

Ive had a couple parcels arrive from the UK in the last year... and both sellers charged a whole 10-12 dollars USD.

So im not sure if that security check fee might be for larger or heavier items?

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #777 on: June 10, 2014, 01:13:11 AM »
Ive had a couple parcels arrive from the UK in the last year... and both sellers charged a whole 10-12 dollars USD.

So im not sure if that security check fee might be for larger or heavier items?

In my experience, that seems to be the case.  I've also received a few one sheet sized packages from the UK for about that price, but I recently got quotes from two different UK sellers for a bus shelter size, and both quotes were $60 uninsured or about $100 insured.  With international shipping, the additional cost of insurance and/or the large size packages seem to make the overall cost substantially more expensive.

Mirosae

« Reply #778 on: June 10, 2014, 08:01:24 AM »
In my experience, that seems to be the case.  I've also received a few one sheet sized packages from the UK for about that price, but I recently got quotes from two different UK sellers for a bus shelter size, and both quotes were $60 uninsured or about $100 insured.  With international shipping, the additional cost of insurance and/or the large size packages seem to make the overall cost substantially more expensive.

WoW Brandon... that $100 bucks hurts. You have to be careful with shipping from the UK . The costs can vary significantly - parcel force or USPS, etc have slitghlty different costs. I shipped posters to the US - average $20-$25 in heavy tubes, though other posters were more expensive as they were heavier. But that's because I opted for a quicker delivery - and some insurance. There are different options so make sure they give you those before shipping it out to you. 

Royal Mail- Parcelforce seems to be the cheaper option in the UK (my quotes are always lower with them and never had any issues). So you might want to explore costs with that carrier.

R

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #779 on: June 10, 2014, 08:26:04 AM »
Yes, agree with Rosa - or www.parcel2go.com is sometimes cheaper

e.g. for a 4" Yazoo tube, Parcelforce tracked and insured is around £20.50 to the US I believe? There is a courier that will do it for £16.50 on parcel2go at the moment.

Mind you, compared to the cost of posting a tube within the UK, it's pretty decent value! :)

Thanks Tob and Ben for the info.  I ended up getting one after reading your comments.  I'm truly amazed at what postal services around the world charge these days.  Ridiculous, imo.

T

Cool, despite the cost, if the print quality is good, I think this should look special and be worth the money.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #780 on: June 10, 2014, 06:20:16 PM »
Thanks for the info., Rosa and Tob.  I'll check out the parcel2go site.

cheers

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #781 on: June 11, 2014, 09:36:23 AM »
Brandon, my 2 King Kong UK bus shelters cost ~$100 (60GBP) for shipping through Parcelforce. The tube was too big for Royal Mail. It hurt, but at least the seller gave me a deal on picking up both posters. Shipping is the bane of this hobby.
Witty signature goes here.

Mirosae

« Reply #782 on: June 11, 2014, 03:45:09 PM »
Shipping is the bane of this hobby.

Add taxes too😈😠😕

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #783 on: June 11, 2014, 05:12:24 PM »
Available now from Black Dragon Press...I think they're beautiful:

http://blackdragonpress.bigcartel.com/products

These are beautiful, Tob.  Did you get one?

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #784 on: June 11, 2014, 05:12:51 PM »
Brandon, my 2 King Kong UK bus shelters cost ~$100 (60GBP) for shipping through Parcelforce. The tube was too big for Royal Mail. It hurt, but at least the seller gave me a deal on picking up both posters. Shipping is the bane of this hobby.

Zoinks!  wow1  

I'm gonna do some research, and I'll let y'all know if I find a cheaper shipping method for shipping them big packages internationally.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #785 on: June 11, 2014, 05:50:32 PM »
These are beautiful, Tob.  Did you get one?

Hi Ted, hope you're well bud. I did get one...I couldn't resist, particularly as they're shipped from the UK. It's nice not to have to pay high shipping and extra duty on top.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #786 on: June 11, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »
Hi Ted, hope you're well bud. I did get one...I couldn't resist, particularly as they're shipped from the UK. It's nice not to have to pay high shipping and extra duty on top.

Good for you, man.
Delort's ink work is very refreshing, reminiscent of Dore or Booth.
It's a terrific piece.
 cheers

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #787 on: June 11, 2014, 06:19:16 PM »
This Nosferatu poster by Ken Taylor is looking pretty sweet to me.  cool1

-Jeff

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #788 on: June 11, 2014, 10:16:08 PM »
This Nosferatu poster by Ken Taylor is looking pretty sweet to me.  cool1

Isn't that in the Mondo drop tomorrow?
Witty signature goes here.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #789 on: June 12, 2014, 05:41:40 AM »
Good for you, man.
Delort's ink work is very refreshing, reminiscent of Dore or Booth.
It's a terrific piece.
 cheers

I was aware of Franklin Booth, but not (Gustave) Dore. I just had a Google...stunning imagery, thanks for that.

Mirosae

« Reply #790 on: June 12, 2014, 07:01:09 AM »
How does it look in person Tob? Sepia tone or is it more B&W?

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #791 on: June 12, 2014, 08:05:33 AM »
It hasn't arrived yet Rosa - it looks like the regular will be more B&W and the variant will be more sepia? I'll post some detail photos if I spot any from the sellers (or will take some when it shows up).

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #792 on: July 04, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »
From the upcoming Spoke Art show Quentin vs. Coen part 3, I am not a Budich fan, but I kinda like this one.

It's relatively uncluttered compared to his normal stuff, and it looks like the dude is ready to say, “This Aggression Will Not Stand, Man”

The Dude Abides.

Mirosae

« Reply #793 on: July 04, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »
^ nice poster. The film is fab..!

@Tob..hope you got your poster now. I think it is truly beautiful *sorry. I'm repeating myself here.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #794 on: July 04, 2014, 05:00:59 PM »
OMG, I'm sorry guys, but Budich is horrible.  This is just plain bad.  There is nothing creative, nothing interesting, nothing different about this print.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #795 on: July 08, 2014, 10:03:56 PM »
Yeah, Budich is awful, mostly because he refuses to draw or create something new on his own accord.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #796 on: July 09, 2014, 02:43:24 AM »
I was aware of Franklin Booth, but not (Gustave) Dore. I just had a Google...stunning imagery, thanks for that.

Dore is one of my artistic idols. I was first exposed to his art when I was maybe 10 and I have a couple first editions including the 2-book Don Quixote set
I should take a pic. Bound in lambskin or something like that, gold edged pages, the 2 volume set is about 7-8 inches laying flat. Geez. I think I paid $250 for them 35 years ago.

no doubt his most famous edition is Dante's Inferno which has many editions and Rime of the Ancient Mariner which is really superb

Oh I also have an Edgar Allan Poe edition he illustrated that is some 14x22 inches or so.

great stuff.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #797 on: August 10, 2014, 07:04:52 PM »
A few recent Englert. 
Really like CE3K and its GoD effect.  Jaws is pretty cool too, IMO.  Got both.  Passed on ET.  The moon is just too big.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #798 on: August 12, 2014, 08:52:29 PM »
The CE3K and its GoD effect is very cool.  8)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #799 on: August 12, 2014, 09:15:27 PM »
Thierry, I'm assuming you passed on the variant?