Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 437806 times)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #2475 on: December 10, 2021, 07:04:45 AM »
^Nice one, T. The full size Dolby posters are hard to find.

Prop Store had some nice Star Wars posters in their auction this week. The original Josh Kirby art for Empire Strikes Back went for £42.5k (+BP):

This Indian one sheet did well too, £6k (+BP):

Online skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #2476 on: December 10, 2021, 12:10:56 PM »
Someone has deep pockets! It was interesting to watch the auction. The auctioneers really do their best to push the prices up, or keep the bidding going.

Having said that, looking at some of the results Iím not sure Propstore is the best place to sell if youíre a consignor.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2477 on: December 10, 2021, 12:27:08 PM »
Personally, and I do say personally, I will never understand why people spend money, let alone so much money, on discarded artwork.  I mean, obviously, this design was judged not good enough to make the campaign.  Hundreds of designs were made, only a few made the cut.  They were just NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  Now if you can own the real art the ACTUAL posters were based on, now that's something.  The director and Fox publicity department endorsed it.  We trashed so much of it when I was at DreamWorks, and for big movies like Gladiator and Almost Famous.  No one cares about it, and then suddenly it sells for 42,000 pounds.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #2478 on: December 10, 2021, 01:15:15 PM »
You obviously have an inside perspective on these these things and so the idea of unused artwork is probably far less attractive than to someone on the outside.

For me I love unused artwork because it has that 'what if?' quality and I like the connection to the design process at the time.

I'm not convinced by the argument that the best artwork always gets picked. I'm sure there are some amazing pieces that never got used for one reason or another that doesn't include the quality of the artwork.

From a collecting point of view, my scope is so limited that if I can find anything extra to collect then it's a bonus!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2479 on: December 14, 2021, 06:09:58 PM »
Personally, and I do say personally, I will never understand why people spend money, let alone so much money, on discarded artwork.  I mean, obviously, this design was judged not good enough to make the campaign.  Hundreds of designs were made, only a few made the cut.  They were just NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  Now if you can own the real art the ACTUAL posters were based on, now that's something.  The director and Fox publicity department endorsed it.  We trashed so much of it when I was at DreamWorks, and for big movies like Gladiator and Almost Famous.  No one cares about it, and then suddenly it sells for 42,000 pounds.

T

I understand the sentiment but, with so many crappy poster designs currently being foisted on the potentially cinema-going public, I am not sure that one can say, the final design is the best design.

And we do not have to look only to our immediate past to exemplify that statement.

(I am sorry, it is all I know)  Licence to Kill' poster design process had Bob Peak's cracking art in red.  It was considered, 'something', it was jettisoned and the US got that thing with flames.

All this to say, if one is interested in art, then it is in the eye of the beholder.  If one is interested in official and/or final release then yes, I get you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LargeImages/comments/cvs3eg/5049x6313_licence_to_kill_1989_unused_art_by_bob/

https://artofthemovies.co.uk/products/james-bond-licence-to-kill-1989

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2480 on: December 19, 2021, 02:29:33 PM »
Yeah, I think an unused poster art design by Bob Peak, Drew Struzan, Glenn Cravath, Jack Davis, or Frank Frazetta (just to name a few) would still be highly collectible.  Okie

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #2481 on: December 29, 2021, 11:28:32 PM »
These count, right??

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2482 on: December 30, 2021, 07:48:41 AM »
Are they printed?

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #2483 on: December 30, 2021, 01:27:23 PM »
Are they printed?

Yeah, on paper even!  My son's bedroom wall:

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2484 on: December 30, 2021, 02:07:58 PM »
I don't see why they wouldn't.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!