Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 667891 times)

guest4531

Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #2025 on: June 30, 2017, 03:51:09 AM »
Friggin awesome aren't they?

Max your browser and take screenshots (Command-Shift-3 on Mac, who knows on Winblows and copycat-loser-OS Android....)

Actually, if you go to the landing page of the auctions - https://profilesinhistory.com/auctions/hollywood-auction-89/ -  there are links to see the flipbook online as well as in PDF format.  Just select PDF, let the browser load it, then click on "Download" button !

Too bad the "Price realised" doesn't work !

guest4955

« Reply #2026 on: July 02, 2017, 07:06:24 AM »
SW-TFA "throwback" posters, from Slashfilm:

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2027 on: July 15, 2017, 07:33:50 PM »
New character posters for The Last Jedi. I wonder if they'll make it as printed one sheets? Or digital or bus shelter only?

Thy remind me of that matrix reloaded character set

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-8-last-jedi-character-posters-rey-finn/

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2028 on: July 15, 2017, 08:24:02 PM »
Not very inspired, but I guess if I see them I'll get them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2029 on: July 15, 2017, 08:44:03 PM »
Yuck---those are like the Matrix Reloaded character posters---blah.

Doh---see Tob said same thing.  Great minds and all. ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:48:01 PM by hepcatpunk »
-Brian

guest4955

« Reply #2030 on: July 17, 2017, 02:55:17 AM »
I kinda like 'em, except CF.....

So these deserve APF public exhibition....

Newish kids on the block....

Hopefully this vet talks in SW8:

I'm omitting CF....

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2031 on: July 17, 2017, 09:47:39 AM »
All a bit uninspiring, imho.

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #2032 on: July 17, 2017, 10:31:39 AM »

I'm sure all the red means something but I don't care that much.

We can all agree they beat this:

"out of stock" here:

https://www.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-55182/Star_Wars.html

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2033 on: July 20, 2017, 10:37:10 PM »

As much as I love Star Wars, it is with a heavy heart I agree with this statement.  :'(
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2034 on: July 21, 2017, 12:14:15 AM »
Those posters lead me to despair

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2035 on: July 21, 2017, 12:20:34 AM »
My only hope is that they won't be printed so I won't have to buy them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #2036 on: July 25, 2017, 02:12:54 AM »
Can't afford to buy many SW posters but did land the Style D SW4:

guest4955

« Reply #2037 on: July 25, 2017, 02:15:24 AM »
This poster was produced for the 1978 summer re-release of Star Wars. Charlie White III and Drew Struzan painted it. Struzan would go on to be one of the most prolific Star Wars painters for Lucasfilm creating more posters, book covers, and various other artwork. This was, I believe, his first piece of Star Wars work. Struzan has said in the past that he worked on the character faces while White worked on the other parts of the painting.

Struzan: "I will never fail to give credit to Charlie White for what he did for me. It may have been a small thing to him, but a life changer for me. He is an extraordinary artist famed for his airbrush work. He had the desirable assignment to do the one-sheet poster for the re-release of Star Wars in 1978. He is marvelous at painting objects, but was hesitant to paint portraits for the poster. Somehow, he asked me to paint the portraits while he would paint the droids and the like...Only an extraordinary individual does anything so generous and unselfish. It is the individual who deserves the honor. I have no doubt that there was a desire on Charlie's part to do the best job possible on the Star Wars project...It was to his advantage to use the best talent he could find. He also gave the lettering to a great letterer. It made for an outsanding poster. All of us who worked on it have been proud ever since to have had the opportunity. It remains a perennial favorite, even among Hollywood executives. --Airbrush magazine August 99. Interview with Struzan

The Style D poster is reportedly one of George Lucas' favorite Star Wars posters. The original artwork for it is said to be hung in Lucas' house. He liked the circus poster feel of it. The poster looks like it is peeling back to reveal a wood fence underneath. It is one of the few posters to feature the Jawas, the landspeeder, and the stormtroopers, not to mention Darth Vader with a Dracula-type cape.

The novel idea of making the poster appear as if it were pasted on a wall came about almost by accident. "We had already done the lettering of the title, painting it in as part of the poster," recalled Struzan. "Then, when we got the billing, we discovered there wasn't enough room for all the credits, so we had to figure out a way to make more space. We thought, 'Why don't we take what we already have and paint it to look like it's wild posted on top of other posters?' That gave us the extra room we needed for the billing at the bottom. It was a case of Necessity being the Mother of Invention." ..."We had to do other art to fill it out, so we had a chance to include more characters. We added Han Solo in a little vignetted circle, and Alec Guiness was an afterthought. It kind of grew to include everybody." --Cinefantastique Feb '97

guest4955

« Reply #2038 on: July 29, 2017, 10:31:14 PM »
Confirming yet again that Star Wars posters are zooming to light speed:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2039 on: July 29, 2017, 11:29:20 PM »
I saw that.  So ridiculous.  I own the much rarer PG version, rolled and mint.  Maybe I can get $10k for it.

Hahaha!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2040 on: July 29, 2017, 11:56:18 PM »
Ever wonder why the Thai poster for the original STAR WARS has the title THE WAR OF THE WORLD on it? I came across this great little article a little over a year ago about the first screenings of the film in Thailand. You will enjoy what you read!

http://www.bangkokpost.com/print/793765/

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2041 on: July 30, 2017, 09:57:16 PM »
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
-

guest4955

« Reply #2042 on: August 30, 2017, 12:21:48 PM »
Don't know much about these "B+" SW7 posters except the artist is Dan Mumford and they are on IMPAwards.com so they are "official" posters of some sort:

Online skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #2043 on: August 30, 2017, 12:27:29 PM »
Small promo posters given away at Cinemas. See the AMC logo bottom left. I think Odeon gave them away in the UK.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2044 on: August 30, 2017, 12:34:49 PM »
Being on Impawards doesn't make it official.  One of my problems with the site is that they don't filter and just post everything, whether it is printed or not.  I end up looking for posters that simply do not exist, so I stopped checking it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #2045 on: August 30, 2017, 01:18:52 PM »
Small promo posters given away at Cinemas. See the AMC logo bottom left. I think Odeon gave them away in the UK.

Plus one. They were released at the opening date and then the following week they released the next one, and the next week the next one and so on till all four were given out with a purchase of your ticket. Imax theaters only I believe for the US.
Official and studio approved.

There was also a set of four released for Rogue One.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:21:37 PM by jedgerley »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2046 on: September 01, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »
Yep, give-a-ways when you buy your ticket. Though I was told you had the choice of which one you wanted subject to availability.

I have these somewhere, and a load of other ones, oddly they (the Cinema) do count them as "limited" release prints! mine end up somewhere in the house... :-\
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2047 on: September 01, 2017, 10:38:37 PM »
Specifically, this is how it went with the release of these posters:
-Only available at AMC theaters showing the Force Awakens AND the theater had an Imax screen.
-Only available on Sunday, (not opening night).
-Each Sunday a new poster was released, (The 1st four Sunday's the movie was released, after that, they were gone).
-"Limited" in the sense that the posters were first come, first serve. For example, if you went to the 11am show on Sunday, you'd be able to get a free poster. If you were going to the 11pm show, you were probably out of luck.
-The posters were free to anyone who purchased an Imax ticket on Sunday, (assuming they weren't all given away).

The marketing ploy was to get the hardcore fans to come out weekly 4x in a row. In exchange, the fan got 4 different posters.

*Though yes, some theaters may have taken there own liberties on the rules, those technically were the rules.

If anyone is looking to buy, there are zillions of these out there. After all, they were free giveaways with a movie ticket purchase. (With any left over going to ebay market).
I would suggest not spending more than $3 per poster.
Favorites?
-

guest4955

« Reply #2048 on: September 04, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »
I'm really excited about this! NOT....

guest4955

« Reply #2049 on: September 04, 2017, 03:52:28 PM »
What is this? Bid on it without looking at lower right. Seller says it is 27x41: