Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 667876 times)

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #1975 on: August 09, 2016, 12:17:44 PM »
It's a Japanese B1 from the first laser disc release in the mid-eighties.
Thanks Harry!  I heard back from the seller; I had left a question on the auction page asking if there was a better picture of the poster as the bottom is slightly cut off.  The seller wrote back and said "I have no other pictures but trust me the poster is complete".  So a) he's a fairly lazy seller who can't be bothered b) he doesn't have the poster on hand, perhaps selling it for someone c) he knows that if potential buyers see "1984 CBS / Fox", the gig is up.  He's asking $300 for it.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1976 on: August 09, 2016, 06:03:48 PM »
Hmm.  I have no real interest in Star Wars, and couldn't say anything pertinent to the heritage of the poster, but based only on the seller saying He hasn't any other images of the poster, and of course speaking purely on the spur of the late-night and, alcoholic-fuelled moment, I would say, Fuck him.

You just know that whatever turns up will be wrapped in fish paper and reinforced with boiled bones.  Hassle all the way.

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1977 on: August 09, 2016, 08:09:52 PM »
Hmm.  I have no real interest in Star Wars, and couldn't say anything pertinent to the heritage of the poster, but based only on the seller saying He hasn't any other images of the poster, and of course speaking purely on the spur of the late-night and, alcoholic-fuelled moment, I would say, Fuck him.

You just know that whatever turns up will be wrapped in fish paper and reinforced with boiled bones.  Hassle all the way.
;D thumbsup.gif

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1978 on: September 19, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #1979 on: September 19, 2016, 06:12:58 PM »
I posted a BS response, but frankly I don't know.

Bill Selby has a copyright notice and a 1977 date.  Selby created the 1978 fan club cantina poster.  Perhaps this is a rejected design for another fan club or commercial poster.

I can't find any reference to it earlier than August, 2016.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:29:40 PM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1980 on: September 19, 2016, 11:37:44 PM »
Thanks, Jay.  I've been to Selby's site and elsewhere and all I can find are other referrers to the ebay link.
Though his name appears scratched into the acetate, I don't recall ever seeing that design before.
Its not Selby's normal sig, which is clearly visible in the lower left of the Cantina pic below.

Selby provides some interesting Cantina art backstory here: http://www.billselby.com/Famous_Monsters.html
Thats the 2nd story down... but the first -- The Dark Crystal -- is a disheartening account of some of the shenanigans that went on at the Ackermansion, which someone touched upon in a previous post.

I wish all living, published artists would provide this kind of anecdotal info on their sites.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #1981 on: September 19, 2016, 11:48:42 PM »
Yep.  One would like to think that Selby has more artistic integrity than to put his name on that derivative and uninspired piece of junk.
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1982 on: December 18, 2016, 05:00:31 PM »
My little Rogue One poster collection... part of an always expending Star Wars collection.

In order, US advance 1, advance 2, final, international, bus shelter, bus shelter IMAX, Japanese advance B1s and final B1, UK quad.

Waiting for some Frenchies and done with the title.  Until next year.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1983 on: December 18, 2016, 05:40:11 PM »
It seems you have it pretty well covered for various designs there, T.  Those Japanese B1s are rad, especially the one with the nice beach scenery, and the death star looming in the background.  Wow.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1984 on: December 19, 2016, 07:56:22 AM »
And that folks is why I am trying not to get too OCD about the modern posters. TOOOOOooooo many out there. Way to go thought Brie, that's dedication.  notworthy.gif
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #1985 on: December 19, 2016, 10:41:20 AM »
Great selection. Love the Frenchies, been quite tempted to get that set. I saw a UK character set but quite a boring design in comparison. These are all nice though.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1986 on: January 17, 2017, 08:58:53 PM »
This thread needs some love.

Tonight Bruce shattered the most money paid for a Jedi poster on his site going from $2,175 to a whopping $9,450 for the same style poster actually, the Return of the Jedi six sheet. This is more than double the max that HA has gotten for any Jedi poster as well. Their current highest is $4,063 for an undated Revenge of the Jedi 1sh.

All I can say is WOW!!!

Jedi 6sh
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:01:24 PM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline FFFMoviePosters

• Beginner
    • FFF Movie Posters
« Reply #1987 on: January 17, 2017, 10:28:20 PM »
This thread needs some love.

Tonight Bruce shattered the most money paid for a Jedi poster on his site going from $2,175 to a whopping $9,450 for the same style poster actually, the Return of the Jedi six sheet. This is more than double the max that HA has gotten for any Jedi poster as well. Their current highest is $4,063 for an undated Revenge of the Jedi 1sh.

All I can say is WOW!!!

Jedi 6sh

!!!! WOW Indeed

It takes at least two to tango an auction up to that level.

I would have thought The Force Awakens/Rogue One initial spike in prices had leveled off or subsided. Apparently NOT

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1988 on: January 18, 2017, 12:37:02 PM »
I don't think it so much that the price is from the latest releases though I am sure they helped. I think it is more the fact that especially for completest this is one of if not the rarest of the Jedi posters. There are also only a couple of them in this kind of condition which makes it more desirable.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:04:45 PM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1989 on: January 18, 2017, 12:46:18 PM »
!!!! WOW Indeed

It takes at least two to tango an auction up to that level.

I would have thought The Force Awakens/Rogue One initial spike in prices had leveled off or subsided. Apparently NOT

So true and likely another reason why this copy went so high. Two folks that were both determined NOT to go down without a (cash flinging) fight.  gun1 gun1

-Jeff

Offline FFFMoviePosters

• Beginner
    • FFF Movie Posters
« Reply #1990 on: January 18, 2017, 01:05:13 PM »
So true and likely another reason why this copy went so high. Two folks that were both determined NOT to go down without a (cash flinging) fight.  gun1 gun1

Gotta love it. Unless you were the one bidding on the losing end of that fight.

Offline joemustang65

• Hobbyist
  • Nothing is new only forgotten (Tyla)
« Reply #1991 on: January 20, 2017, 01:27:31 PM »
Did someone already posted the Turkish original saga posters. I have all three (and some doubles)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1992 on: January 20, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »
Nice trio there, joemustang. clap clap clap

-Jeff

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1993 on: May 26, 2017, 06:34:05 AM »
It was the anniversary yesterday, but this was a nice nod to the 1st birthday cake poster

guest4955

« Reply #1994 on: June 01, 2017, 02:20:41 AM »
Here are some SW posters I displayed in my DC apt. in April, May, and June 2014:

guest4955

« Reply #1995 on: June 01, 2017, 02:45:20 AM »
During my break three more ESB/Lando posters were sold. The prices skyrocketed from $1900 in 2009 to $8100 in 2017. The bone-headed consignor linen-backed two of them!

I see Thierry landed one of them somehow. Congrats!

guest4955

« Reply #1996 on: June 05, 2017, 03:50:36 AM »
Tang Lung recently dug up my 2012 video authentication of Star Wars C MP. (I had deleted it years ago from YouTube and lost the video files). Enjoy....

http://moviepostercollectors.guide/Storage/Distinguishing.mp4

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1997 on: June 05, 2017, 04:04:44 AM »
Great video Mel, thanks for sharing - this is a poster i have avoided buying due to fear of getting a repo - now i know what to look for

Cheers
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1998 on: June 06, 2017, 11:04:56 PM »

These actually look pretty good all next to each other.  A nice little collection.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1999 on: June 14, 2017, 01:08:18 PM »
Does anyone know where I can buy a cheap style C repro?  My son wants it above his bed and I don't want to use my original, for obvious reasons ;)

T
My Personal Collection