Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 674340 times)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #1550 on: May 21, 2015, 01:28:43 PM »
Actually bought it.  ;D
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1551 on: May 21, 2015, 01:30:52 PM »
Way to go, Mike!!  woohoo

-Jeff

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1552 on: May 21, 2015, 04:42:12 PM »
Not that I ever expect "bargains" over at EMP, but crazy bids for all things SW in tonight's auction.  All current bids if ending now will be Bruce's highest realized prices ever for these items---Empire insert already well over double the highest, ROTJ insert 1.5x the highest, the half sheet over 1.25x the highest (and not even that great a copy).

Not sure if it's the hype machine going for Episode 7, or if people (well a few of them anyway) all of a sudden have uncovered some disposable income, but wow.
-Brian

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1553 on: May 21, 2015, 04:43:12 PM »
The over the top, feeding frenzy is in full swing, looks like.   faint2.gif

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1554 on: May 22, 2015, 12:03:16 AM »
Not that I ever expect "bargains" over at EMP, but crazy bids for all things SW in tonight's auction.  All current bids if ending now will be Bruce's highest realized prices ever for these items---Empire insert already well over double the highest, ROTJ insert 1.5x the highest, the half sheet over 1.25x the highest (and not even that great a copy).

Not sure if it's the hype machine going for Episode 7, or if people (well a few of them anyway) all of a sudden have uncovered some disposable income, but wow.

I was planning to bid on a few myself but instead just let my jaw drag along on the floor. In this case it looks like it was a bidding war between two people possibly looking to build an instant collection. If either of them dropped out the bidding would have been more along normal pricing. Congrats to both the new owners and the sellers.

I being a Star Wars nut who seems to be a bit OCD on the subject at best charted the pricing trends on SW posters for theater releases from the Special Edition on and found the prices followed a predictable trend that I expect them to follow in part this time as well.

Leading up to the other releases the market dried up in places like E-Bay and other mass sales sites where posters had previously been relatively plentiful. This part has already started. From there there was a stagnate period where we are now where people held on to them letting them trickle out more slowly followed by a steady increase in prices from approximately 5-6 months prior to the theater release until about a month from the release while people tried to get any copies they could locate hoping for a quick investment payoff. At around a month prior to the release pretty much everything disappeared and anything that was left was priced so excessively that virtually nobody would buy. At approximately a week before the movies release everyone started to dump the posters on the market at the same time at inflated prices of 3x-4x time normal saturating the market causing them to fall over the next two to three weeks selling at prices that were approximately 50% higher than they were 7+ months earlier before bottoming out at around the same price they were again 7+ months prior. In some cases they were actually cheaper for a short time on the really common copies. Once the influx ended the prices rose again by 15-20% over the next couple of months leveling out there and then taking on a more standard model rising slowly as would be expected for any popular collectible until the next movie and then started all over again.

This is how it worked with the more common posters anyway. For the true rarities where there are only a handful of known copies and lower print run posters there was a different curve.

For the new movies I expect a similar model but if Disney does justice to them the curve I feel will be much steeper and there will not be as much of a dump as new collectors come into the market scooping copies up as well that they will hold onto limiting the available copies later on when the dump occurs. Poster versions like these that typically remained at lower prices due to large quantities being available like the Star Wars Style D for example I expect to be the focus of many new buyers as they will still be easier to find and see the greatest overall climb in prices as the remaining copies are bought. I have been watching the pricing trends on these and so far they are following along. Rarer US posters that only have a handful of known copies or had small print runs but are highly desirable like the Style C I expect to see priced out of the normal collectors hands. Higher end rares like the concert poster though I expect to remain stagnate or see a smaller increase unless two people enter into a bidding war like tonight. Foreign rares I actually expect to stay stagnate or actual crash as previously hard to find pieces start coming out of the woodwork. This is what happened for example with the exploding Vader head Polish poster that once commanded as much as $1000 and has now dropped by 50-75% as more and more hit the market. Normal foreign print runs I expect will see the same curve as the US posters but with much lower peaks and settle back to around where they were before the increases started. This is how most of them were in the past.

As always there will be exceptions to the rule here and there. I also may be completely nuts, some of you already know that part is likely true.  devil 2
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:05:18 AM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
-Brian

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1556 on: June 03, 2015, 01:50:30 PM »
$2810.00!!

Wow.. and nice!!

notworthy.gif

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1557 on: June 03, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »
I'm betting on Harry Caul myself.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #1558 on: June 03, 2015, 02:02:37 PM »
so how much do you think my 40X60 fine ROTJ would go...the style B, not that crappy lightsaber image...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1559 on: June 03, 2015, 02:19:50 PM »
I'm betting on Harry Caul myself.

Not me, although I was of course watching it!  It's only the 2nd complete copy I've seen surface and unlike the 1st copy, Han Solo's face is intact!!!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:20:58 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1560 on: June 03, 2015, 02:22:18 PM »
Same here Matt, I was in it for a while but when it blew to $1700 I was out. It currently makes the best condition copy I am aware of as well. I think counting this one i may have seen four or five total over the years.

Vick,

In current market depending on condition, assuming very good+, $175 on the low - $400 on the high. I would expect it to be around $250 myself. I know Bruce sold one for $440 but that was well above the established averages for the time and likely a small bidding war. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

The six sheet is undeniably quite rare whereas the 40x60's including the B, though they have not been appearing much lately, is actually pretty common. I once had an NM roll of them many moons ago.

Hopefully if you are selling one and going through an AH... rather than trading me on some WWI/WWII stuff 8)... you will get two deep pocket bidders going nuts for it and it will sell for $3k.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:26:03 PM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1561 on: June 03, 2015, 04:18:45 PM »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1562 on: June 03, 2015, 04:22:47 PM »
Congrats Brie at the same time a little sad that the light of day it shall never see again.  :-[

You better start renting or buying walls to show all of your stuff off with the world. Make a museum of it maybe.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1563 on: June 03, 2015, 05:10:32 PM »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1564 on: June 03, 2015, 07:35:38 PM »
Congratulations, T.
I just love watching another collector succumb to the completist mania.
 cheers

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1565 on: June 04, 2015, 12:48:46 PM »
Congrats Brie at the same time a little sad that the light of day it shall never see again.  :-[

You better start renting or buying walls to show all of your stuff off with the world. Make a museum of it maybe.

Maybe one day when I own pieces worth exhibiting and I can lure more than 30 patrons.

And think about it, in the flat file it will be protected and away from any potential damages.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1566 on: June 04, 2015, 12:50:40 PM »
Congratulations, T.
I just love watching another collector succumb to the completist mania.
 cheers

Um, I don't think I just succumbed to it, Ted.  With 1,200 Spielberg pieces, 300 Bardots, close to 200 Star Wars, I think I'm well on my way :)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #1567 on: June 11, 2015, 02:59:16 AM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251966347901?euid=a431340b3ecd4de9af08506479d72714&cp=1

has anyone seen one of these in the flesh, a full 30 x 40 pre oscars repro. From the photos it looks good, and certainly good enough too fool a newbie.
Has anyone had their hadns on this?
I emailed the guy asking how and where he got them (mulitlpe) and after two attempts he still hasnt answered

Paul

• Collector
« Reply #1568 on: June 11, 2015, 03:00:45 AM »
also, this was the guys selling the NOES quads, also folded for some perculiar reason

some interesting feedback from someone however!

Negative feedback rating Very disappointed poster poor quality told no refund went to eBay for refund  Buyer: u***b ( 86Blue star icon for Feedback score between 50 to 99)   During past 6 months Feedback conversation
  STAR WARS UK QUAD Poster 1977 Pre Oscar Version approx 30 x 40 Inches Folded (#251919893625)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:02:55 AM by originalcinemaposters »

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1569 on: June 11, 2015, 03:58:29 AM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251966347901?euid=a431340b3ecd4de9af08506479d72714&cp=1

has anyone seen one of these in the flesh, a full 30 x 40 pre oscars repro. From the photos it looks good, and certainly good enough too fool a newbie.
Has anyone had their hadns on this?
I emailed the guy asking how and where he got them (mulitlpe) and after two attempts he still hasnt answered

Paul

I'm looking to buy an original pre-oscars Star Wars quad so would be very interested in learning how the originals and reprints differ.

Mark

• Collector
« Reply #1570 on: June 11, 2015, 04:12:51 AM »
i have a mint rolled original pre oscars and would definately like to see once of these copies, i just dont want to spunk fifty quid on it!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1571 on: June 11, 2015, 12:33:58 PM »
Kind of scary, I was just thinking yesterday, do I want to drop the money on one just for ID purposes. Still haven't decided yet.
Just bleach the bitch!

• Collector
« Reply #1572 on: June 11, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
I have hope they are  rubbish as one has been returned already !

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1573 on: June 11, 2015, 01:27:36 PM »
From the pictures in the eBay listing it doesn't even look like the color bleeds fully to the lower edges.  I assume all the originals do?  I'm sure one could easily spot a fake by the paper, as most quads I've handled from that era have a particular mild grittiness to them.

I had a rolled Academy Awards version before and I know that one had colors full bled.  

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #1574 on: June 11, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »
Cutting the edge off will solve the full bleed issue and then the sellers just need to say they cut it to fit a frame or the edge was damaged a little so they cut it off. The best question will be can it be identified from an image just by the artwork like the minty white inserts, half sheets, etc. or at least that is the way I tend to look at these things.
Just bleach the bitch!