Author Topic: Star Wars posters!  (Read 673654 times)

guest4955

Re: Star Wars posters!
« Reply #2100 on: November 18, 2017, 08:38:05 PM »
From HA:

Star Wars (20th Century Fox, 1977). Tom Jung Half Sheet Concept Artwork (30" X 24") and Half Sheet (22" X 28").
Just when you thought you had seen everything, this amazing artifact arrives after being hidden away for forty years. In 1977 20th Century Fox commissioned an ad agency to produce the campaign, including posters, for their forthcoming film Star Wars. The agency had used artist Tom Jung previously and asked him to come up with concepts for the campaign. He was given photos taken by unit photographers in color and black and white as well 2.25" still images printed on contact sheets. Jung came up with the wonderful design for the now famous Style A one sheet as well as the designs for the insert and half sheet posters. This amazing piece is the original concept artwork used to pitch the half sheet design to Fox, George Lucas and company. Included is the hand drawn pencil sketch (22.5" X 14") by Jung as well as a stat of the Star Wars logo and credits rubber cemented in place and Form-a-Line used to create a border on a piece of illustration board (30" X 24").....

Concept is very close to final:

guest4955

« Reply #2101 on: November 19, 2017, 11:54:13 AM »
Something new under the sun! An English-language Japanese B1, possibly used at military bases in Japan. Greener than the US version.

[Click to enlarge.]

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2102 on: November 19, 2017, 12:06:08 PM »
Did you buy this?  I was thinking of buying it, but it was a 7, if I remember correctly, so I passed.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #2103 on: November 19, 2017, 12:28:01 PM »
Did you buy this?  I was thinking of buying it, but it was a 7, if I remember correctly, so I passed.

T

Nope happy with what I've got:

Good memories though:

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2104 on: November 19, 2017, 12:55:18 PM »
Something new under the sun! An English-language Japanese B1, possibly used at military bases in Japan. Greener than the US version.

[Click to enlarge.]

Its been auctioned before, just this past June.

And not quite as green looking on this copy -  more like a mid-range between the 2 examples above.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/1890979.html

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:56:57 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2105 on: November 19, 2017, 02:03:13 PM »
The extra green is likely from the HA image correction process they use... err over saturation, contrast, etc. That would be the only way to explain the super white background imo.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2106 on: November 19, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »
It's a subtle difference, but I like how the B1 has a larger version of the (iconic) title, while at the same time moving it outside the art.  It's a very clean design.

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2107 on: November 19, 2017, 02:29:42 PM »
I bought the one on HA.

I whiffed on the Hong Kong Empire and the B0 ROTJ, so I went w/ the B1.  We'll see how it looks in person, but a 7 is typically not the condition i'd want, but wanted to get something I didn't have.
-Brian

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2108 on: November 27, 2017, 01:21:47 PM »
Three Empire Strikes Back Marler Haley (out of five). 

I had never seen those before and even Star Wars guru Mike Undead (whose brain I always pick before making a Star Wars purchase) had not seen them in 20 years.  So they must be pretty rare.

Now on to finding the other two.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #2109 on: November 27, 2017, 11:18:52 PM »
Three Empire Strikes Back Marler Haley (out of five). 

I had never seen those before and even Star Wars guru Mike Undead (whose brain I always pick before making a Star Wars purchase) had not seen them in 20 years.  So they must be pretty rare.

Now on to finding the other two.

T

These are great!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2110 on: November 27, 2017, 11:55:42 PM »
Neat looking posters, T.

What size are these?

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2111 on: November 28, 2017, 01:21:28 AM »
20x30in, double crowns.

If anyone can lead me to the other two, I'll pay.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2112 on: November 28, 2017, 01:43:31 AM »
Do you have pics of what the other 2 look like? I was doing a quick search online and couldn't find a pic of the full set (or the other 2).

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2113 on: November 28, 2017, 03:55:52 AM »
20x30in, double crowns.

T

Marler Haleys are usually four x DCs and one quad.  They were placed in a frame with the main release quad.  Two quads, one on top of the other other.  Two DCs either side of the quads.

Is that what you mean as opposed to a total of five DCs?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2114 on: November 28, 2017, 12:31:27 PM »
Yes, that’s right, four double crowns and one quad.  You can see them at Starwarsmovieposter.com

T
My Personal Collection

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2115 on: November 28, 2017, 02:47:37 PM »
Question for the group:

So I won this poster on HA's Sig auction, discussed a few posts above:

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/science-fiction/star-wars-20th-century-fox-1977-japanese-b1-285-x-40-rare-english-style-tom-jung-artwork/a/7167-86507.s

Anyone else think it might actually be this poster?

https://www.starwarsmovieposter.com/posters/asia/japan/japanese-star-wars-style-pioneer-promo-one-sheet-b1-size

I don't have the Heritage in hand as I haven't paid as of yet, but would be really disappointed if I bought a video-type release poster. 
-Brian

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2116 on: November 28, 2017, 03:59:54 PM »
That would make a lot of sense.  When I bought my 3 B1s for Star Wars, I was told that I had them all by my contact in Japan, then this English text one surfaced and I almost bought it, twice.  The fact that I couldn't see it on Starwarsmovieposter.com was an issue (to me at least).  I never bothered to look down the list.

Waiting for Mike "Star Wars Guru" Undead to give the final answer.

T
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:31:24 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2117 on: November 28, 2017, 04:01:49 PM »
I don't have the Heritage in hand as I haven't paid as of yet, but would be really disappointed if I bought a video-type release poster.

If it's a video poster and wasn't labeled as such, you'll be reimbursed.  Contact Grey once you know for sure.  Bruce should also contact his buyer.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #2118 on: November 29, 2017, 06:01:40 AM »
20x30in, double crowns.

T
I sold the Chewbacca DC a year or so ago!

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2119 on: November 29, 2017, 01:02:56 PM »
If it's a video poster and wasn't labeled as such, you'll be reimbursed.  Contact Grey once you know for sure.  Bruce should also contact his buyer.

T

Did as you suggested and Grey is going to cancel sale for me, as well as do some more follow-up on the poster.  Too many doubts in my mind that this is a poster used in a theater now.

And as always, great customer service on Grey's part. 
-Brian

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2120 on: November 29, 2017, 01:07:32 PM »
I sold the Chewbacca DC a year or so ago!

How is that helpful?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2121 on: November 29, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »
Did as you suggested and Grey is going to cancel sale for me, as well as do some more follow-up on the poster.  Too many doubts in my mind that this is a poster used in a theater now.

And as always, great customer service on Grey's part.

Maybe you should have waited on Mike Undead for more info.  What if it turns out to be the real deal?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2122 on: November 30, 2017, 08:44:12 AM »
Brie, absolutely great pieces is all I can say. Congrats again, wish I had them.

Sorry I have not had time to get back to you on these but it is the silly season after all and time is short on the best of days.

As a few people here already know, these B1's popped up in Japan fairly recently and do appear to be legit original laser disc posters from what I have seen although I did not make the connection when they first started selling myself. There have been roughly about 8-12 or so to come up for sale there that I am aware of in various condition from Good to NM, all rolled and from the same seller if memory serves. The two things to look for on the B1 is the size and the coloring as it does not appear to be the same as video release posters in color only but it is definitely a B1 size obviously.

I have not had time to sit down and revisit the images from hepcatpunk but based on the HA auction when it was live, I did look then, the size is spot on for the B1 but the coloring once again is off. The coloring though is again almost 100% guaranteed to be off due to color/saturation effects employed by Ha. If you color correct to more realistic levels in photoshop, it will almost certainly match up. All things considered I think they are again likely the laser disc video posters which I think are rarer than the score SWMP gives them but worth that much? I don't think so. I would be a buyer myself at maybe half that price.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:45:40 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2123 on: November 30, 2017, 12:06:46 PM »
Good info Mike.

I had too many doubts once I saw it on the SW poster site and your post validates those doubts.  If it's one seller with most, I wonder if they're misrepresenting the provenance when they consigned to Bruce or HA given both auctions mentioned it might've been used on military bases.  Not accusing, just wondering.

Thanks for weighing in.
-Brian

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2124 on: November 30, 2017, 03:34:31 PM »
Very happy to cross that one off my list of must-have original posters.

notworthy.gif

One less... 50 to go.

T
My Personal Collection