Author Topic: My Zany Home Framed Collection  (Read 146945 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

My Zany Home Framed Collection
« on: January 03, 2010, 10:56:49 AM »
My wacky collection of 56 framed & 5 unframed posters in my 900 sq. ft. apt as of January 3, 2010.  All 100% originals except the Superfly & 9 1/2 Weeks.

I've got room for about 10 more frames, which I'll add soon (hopefully). Not really ready for decent company but they keep me amused....

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:27:53 PM by erik1925 »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: My Zany Home Framed Collection
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 11:21:23 AM »
Now that is a lot of framed posters!  Holy cow, I will be happy when I have a single room to devote to posters.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 01:01:02 PM »
Yep...that's pretty impressive.  There are more frames than bare wall :)

Mel,  what are those two Star Wars posters from (the white Star Wars with Luke and Leia and the bluish ESB)?  I have not seen them before...
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:36:58 PM »
Yep...that's pretty impressive.  There are more frames than bare wall :)

Mel,  what are those two Star Wars posters from (the white Star Wars with Luke and Leia and the bluish ESB)?  I have not seen them before...

There are more frames than bare wall: A pal described it as a "visual assault"!

Star Wars prints: Those are commercial posters by Russell Walks for the Star Wars Retro Collection.  I wrote detailed info about them on MPF a while back.  I like them, some people don't.

Empire Strikes Back:  The top title is blue on some or all ESB movie posters.  Here's one from Cinemasterpieces.  Mine is definitely an original - the GAU logo is razor-sharp and there are no known bootlegs.

movieposterodyssey

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 06:58:52 PM »
Sweet display,Mel!!
Is that a poster in the table?? Looks cool either way.

Anthony

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 05:08:56 AM »
Hey Mel, I think you need a "whats not on your walls" topic!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 02:20:17 PM »
Hey Mel, I think you need a "whats not on your walls" topic!

I very much agree!

Chad

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:28:24 PM »
Mel, a quick question, are you married?  I'm only asking because my wife would not allow 10% of what you put up.  Not in 1,000,000 years.  So if you are, kudos to you.  And if you're not, how do you explain 100 women on your walls to your girlfriend, or even date, especially in your bedroom.  Something that I've been wanting to ask you for a while.

T.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:44:12 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:56:39 PM »
Mel, a quick question, are you married?  I'm only asking because my wife would not allow 10% of what you put up.  Not in 1,000,000 years.  So if you are, kudos to you.  And if you're not, how do you explain 100 women on your walls to your girlfriend, or even date.  Something that I've been wanting to ask you for a while.

T.

When you're not married (like moi) you get to decorate the way you want, buy the sh$t you want (sports cars, movie posters, etc.), gamble as much as you want, go wherever you want, whatev.  It's the Huck Finn lifestyle.

By next week, I'll have 75 frames up.  It's not as gender-unbalanced as you think - 1/6 "alpha male" posters (James Bond, Indiana Jones, Shaft),  1/3 beauty posters, 1/6 sci-fi, 1/3 misc.  All visitors are forewarned!  I also switch out a few beauty posters in the bedroom to improve the gender balance when the chicks show up.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 09:03:49 PM »
It's true, you have a naked Dane Cook, something Chad probably envies.  1 Naked Cook vs 100 Hotties evens the balance.

:o

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »
It's true, you have a naked Dane Cook, something Chad probably envies.  1 Naked Cook vs 100 Hotties evens the balance.

T

Yeah, he's better looking than John Lennon, so I dig it....

Also, I'm putting up my gayest-not-that-there's-anything-wrong-with-that poster in the bedroom, so that should even things up even more:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:33:00 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 11:01:06 PM »
It's true, you have a naked Dane Cook, something Chad probably envies.  1 Naked Cook vs 100 Hotties evens the balance.

T

T, why must you insist on continually trying to get me to come over to your side. Just because you like a naked Dane Cook doesn't mean everyone does. Your French, I'm American. Your gay, I'm straight. Your fat, I'm not. Get over yourself man. Nothings going to change. Plus, I could never be that cruel to break the hearts of so many women in this world by coming over to your side. Nothing against it, just not for me.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 12:11:40 AM »
I think my favorite of those on your walls is Divine.  Pretty awesome.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 02:08:16 PM »
It's very impressive Mel, as much as I mostly collect pre 1980's I am leaning towards picking up some more recent stuff after seeing your place.
It's more than a Hobby...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 12:24:21 AM »
So here's my question to you, Mel.  What is more time consuming: Working as a lawyer for our amazing government, or framing your posters?  Does anyone who walks into your office ever say: "Wow, you've got way too much time on your hands, young fellow."  Isn't better for your business to look busy, like real busy, like you're saving the world or something?

T

Oh, and BTW, VERY NICE.
My Personal Collection

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 12:29:51 AM »
Dude come on T, its the government. Don't question how they spend tax paying dollars. The government is never wrong nor wasteful. They know how to spend YOUR money better than you do and that is why you should be taxed 75% of your income if not more. It's what the people want because they voted all these people into office. Now quit trying to think for yourself and just do what they tell you.

Cue: Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 12:32:03 AM »
I like the sun thingee like the wikerman poster best
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 08:17:49 AM »
Nice lookin' pad, Mel.  Love Cotton Comes to Harlem and Excalibur. The balance between the old and the new is intense. Go, man, go!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 10:28:26 AM »
Nice lookin' pad, Mel.  Love Cotton Comes to Harlem and Excalibur. The balance between the old and the new is intense. Go, man, go!

Wait... posters from 1970 and 1981 are considered old? Those are some of my newest posters! ;)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 10:46:44 AM »
OK, over this "blizzard holiday" I've finally got my iWeb website in decent shape, so check it out:

http://web.me.com/alphamel/My_Movie_Posters/Welcome.html

I added a short - and ridiculously silly - video tour of my apartment (must have Quicktime installed to play), so you'll get a sense of what it's like to live with 76 framed posters (plus four unframed):

http://web.me.com/alphamel/My_Movie_Posters/Video_Tour.html

Let me know what you think!

P.S. All you Mac-haters better repent - I put all this together quickly and easily with iWeb, iPhoto, and iMovie.  (Now downloading, keywording, and organizing 600 movie poster pictures takes a MASSIVE amount of time - you are warned....)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 11:44:59 AM »
OK, over this "blizzard holiday" I've finally got my iWeb website in decent shape, so check it out:

http://web.me.com/alphamel/My_Movie_Posters/Welcome.html

I added a short - and ridiculously silly - video tour of my apartment (must have Quicktime installed to play), so you'll get a sense of what it's like to live with 76 framed posters (plus four unframed):

http://web.me.com/alphamel/My_Movie_Posters/Video_Tour.html

Let me know what you think!

Grats bud and great job! Yeah I think many people will learn that dealing with this type of stuff is much better on a Mac.

Chad

P.S. All you Mac-haters better repent - I put all this together quickly and easily with iWeb, iPhoto, and iMovie.  (Now downloading, keywording, and organizing 600 movie poster pictures takes a MASSIVE amount of time - you are warned....)

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 11:49:35 AM »
(Now downloading, keywording, and organizing 600 movie poster pictures takes a MASSIVE amount of time - you are warned....)

Having recently gone through the same ordeal, I second that warning.  Well worth doing though.

Excellent collezione, btw and easy to go through too.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

LuboCZ

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 03:35:24 PM »
Filled up the dining room with frames this week - my semi-evil plan to completely cover my apartment with frames nears its kooky conclusion:

Fantastic collection, Mel sm1

I see you use different frame border widths. Could you tell me the measurements? Alice, Nikita and the others - width about 1 inch? Then I see something much thinner like Salt and Walk the line and also much thicker one from your kitchen in other topic.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 10:06:30 PM »
Mel, you are well on your way to becoming a living legend in the hobby. The video tour is cool.   sm1

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 09:25:47 PM »
Fantastic collection, Mel.  I see you use different frame border widths. Could you tell me the measurements? Alice, Nikita and the others - width about 1 inch? Then I see something much thinner like Salt and Walk the line and also much thicker one from your kitchen in other topic.

Thanks I use three types of frames - about 1/3 are "flip frames" from Spotlight Displays (about $75 each), 1/3 from Hollywood Poster Frames (about $55 each, less versatile but you get much better plexiglass), and 1/3 Trendsetter from Michaels (about $25 each on sale, significantly lower quality but good deal for a 27x40 frame).