Author Topic: Hitchcock's NOTORIOUS Italian 2-Foglio (RR or OG?)  (Read 3691 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Hitchcock's NOTORIOUS Italian 2-Foglio (RR or OG?)
« on: April 11, 2011, 02:35:57 PM »
Bought this last year and was meaning to get some more info on this one.  (See how long it takes me to finally take pics of stuff...)

One of my favorite films from one of my fav directors...and I just love this one, personally.  The colors are much more vivid in person (obviously), and it could use a slight restoration, but here she is:

At any rate, when I purchased it, I was told it was from the re-release.  However, I think there is an outside chance that it is in fact, from the initial release in 1946.

The other Guido RRs on this title is a 4p, as listed on LAMP and eMovie (1960s):

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/14302743.html

And here is an Italian one sheet RR (1950s) from eMovie:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/8126051.html

Edit- here is a 1960s RR from Heritage:

http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7025&Lot_No=83353#Photo

Another 1950s RR from Heritage:

http://movieposters.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7014&Lot_No=89305

The paper on mine is incredibly fragile (will probably send it off to remedy this soon), like most older Italian paper, but this one is especially frail, compared to my other 2p/4p stuff.

Also, a fair portion of Hitchcock RR paper usually depicts himself as a familiar marketing ploy to bring people back in the theaters...originals do not, to the best of my knowledge as I sit here right now.

Anyone ever see this one before? Any thoughts re: RR vs. OG?
Regardless of what it is, I personally love it, and feel that it nails the film, so I don't care either way...but an OG would be a bonus for sure.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

longdog

Re: Hitchcock's NOTORIOUS Italian 2-Foglio (RR or OG?)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 02:46:59 PM »
My knowledge is slightly lacking on Italian release posters but the thing that makes me think this is a companion piece to the pictured 4 folio RR is the fact the logotype is identical on both examples. It would be rare to keep the same typography for the original and later re-releases.

However, this is indeed a lovely piece of art and very striking.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:01:24 PM »
What ever it is, its a beauty Wonka!  Grats!

By the way, longdog may be on to something... not only does it use the same typeface, but it was also done by the same artist.  What does the fine print say in the lower right?  Maybe you can ask Bruce for a large photo of the other one to see if it matches.  Also, do you know who distributed it?  I don't see a distro on your poster, but the RR below it from eMovie seems to have some sort of logo in the lower left.  If they are from the same release, it seems odd that they wouldn't have the same distro logo....

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:06:06 PM »
longdog, you raise an interesting point.  I have heard that info before (awhile back), the person I talked to about it said they have used the same typography for corresponding RR sets but also for original releases...but our discussion was also based on an entirely different poster.

Harry, I will look into that right now. I agree, the logo issue is strange. I will check into it, and post a pic of the corner in a bit.

Thanks for the kind words fellas.  Harry, I thought you would dig it, since we seem to be born from the same Poster Momma...ha.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:17:41 PM by wonka »

I was mistaken,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 03:21:22 PM »
That is one fine poster thumbup

Though looking at the artwork it looks late 50's/early 60's.  it's a jollyfine shot of Claude. What ever the release congratulations on finding it.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 03:33:49 PM »
Harry, I thought you would dig it, since we seem to be born from the same Poster Momma...ha.

Definitely.  And it is still of a reasonable enough size!  That FFOD 4-foglio is turning out to be a bugger in terms of framing... at least on the cheap (which I am).

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 04:01:51 PM »
Based on the style of the poster, the typecast and the whiteness of the paper definitely late sixties, early seventies. And yes it's the accompagnying 4 foglio. ImdbPro quotes a 1969 re-release in Germany. pretty sure that the rerelease in Italy is around the same time.

Wim

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 09:00:27 PM »
Wim, you could be right.

However, I have other Italian papers from the 60s and the paper is much more durable and white compared to this one.

Also, the first one from Heritage that I listed in the original post is from the 1960s re-release, could that be the one you refer to?

Who knows, I just hope someone else has this exact poster and can tell more info on it.

I was mistaken,

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 02:32:56 PM »
Wonka, in the years since you posted, EMP sold a same copy of this, in July of 2015, and describes it as a probable 1960s RR, and selling for $341.00   thumbsup.gif

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/953589.html

The Morini art is beautiful, no doubt about it.

Have you found out anything more about it?

And in looking closely at the companion 2-panel from EMP, what Matt suggested was a possible distributor's logo of some kind (above and to the left of Hecht's name) isn't that, unfortunately. What is there are two, small Italian tax-type stamps, pasted side by side, one blue, one red. I'm quite sure I've seen these kinds of stamps on other Italian posters, too.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:01:51 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 05:37:59 AM »
I love that Morini art...a really fine looking poster.