Author Topic: Weta Workshop visit  (Read 5909 times)

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
Weta Workshop visit
« on: April 10, 2011, 02:11:06 AM »
A couple of months back I was speaking to Ted, and told him of how i'd visited the Weta Workshops back in 2006. He suggested some would enjoy the story on the forum. So here you go........

I've always been a movie fan, attending movie premieres, Director and Actor Q&A's and special events where possible. And of course, collecting movie memorabilia.

I moved to New Zealand in 2003, and began collecting some of the Weta collectibles statue range. I purchased a few of these direct from Weta. Over time I managed to meet a number of Weta staff at signing events, and was amazed with how friendly and approachable they were.

Then, quite out of the blue, I received a letter bearing the Weta stamp. It informed me of their up and coming collectibles range, and announced that as a valued collector I, plus one guest, had been invited on a special Weta Workshop tour. This offer was open to a handful of collectors, and would afford us the opportunity to meet with fellow collectors, as well has having lunch with Richard Taylor and a few of the Weta artists. This was mid 2006, and a RSVP was required.

Of course I accepted, and the Tour trip was confirmed for November 2006.

My wife and I arrived at the Weta Workshops reception at 10am, and were met by the Marketing Manager Don. We had to sign non-disclosure documents, and were told we could only take photographs in the reception area and the boardroom (Hence the limited photographs I've attached).

Don then informed us that Richard was busy, and would meet us after lunch, and that we'd get straight into the tour. At this point the 1st of many surprises became apparent. We were the only ones on the tour! No other collectors could make it, so this had become a private tour. We were buzzing!

And through the Workshops we went. LOTR's armour, weapons and latex masks were everywhere. The sculpt shop was hard at work on Halo Maquette's, and we were asked on more than one occasion to shield our eyes. Of course I snuck a peak, and boy do I wish Blomkamp had been able to complete the movie, especially considering what he did with District 9 a few years later.

We were introduced to a dizzying number of artists, a highlight being visiting their mess room (tea room), which housed cabinets all round the walls containing original puppets from Meet the Feebles, Braindead and the Frighteners. Man this was Geek Nirvana!

The Workshop tour concluded, and we were taken to Park Road Post, Weta's post production site, for lunch. As we finished lunch, Don received a call that Richard may not be able to make it back. Never mind, we had already had an awesome visit. We went back to the reception, and into the Boardroom, where we were able to hold the Oscars presented for LOTR's (The pictures I've attached are fuzzy because Don had trembly hands, and through the excitement I didn't check the photo's).

So, as we prepared to leave, Don just checked back in the office to double check on Richards whereabouts. At that moment the door opened behind me, and before I turned around I knew it was Richard Taylor. He walked straight up to me, shaking my hand and welcoming me by my first name. From there we went back to the boardroom, where he called three of the top Weta artists up to join us (Jaimie Bewarick, Daniel Falconer and Ben Hawker). There we stayed for a good 3/4 of an hour talking all things Weta, and why we all loved to being self-confessed Geeks, Richard more than anyone. They all signed a King Kong book for me, and then Richard pointed to the huge presentation cabinets displaying every Weta collectible produced, as well as some one off never seen items.

Richard then got a product catalogue and begun calling out product titles, asking if they were in my collection. When we got to one that wasn't, he said he'd like to gift it to me. 7statues and rather large boxes later, we shook hands and Richard parted with an open invite "you're always welcome at Weta, just drop a line if you wish to catch up, the artists are always looking for an excuse for a free lunch". He thanked me for my support, which had me stating it's me who's so thankful, and appreciative of how welcoming and down to earth everyone had been.

It certainly was one special visit. They really are a class outfit, both technically and artistically as well as personally.

Looking at the blurred nature of some of my photos, I'm now about to drop Weta a line , and call on that offer for a return visit, and try and get an opportunity for some descent replacement photos.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:22:15 AM by idioteque »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Weta Workshop visit
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 02:21:42 AM »
good story, thanks. Warms the heart when you hear things like this.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 07:25:31 AM »
Yes, thanks for sharing... That is the stuff geek-dreams are made of!  ;D

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:39:47 AM »
Awesome story Steve. Looking forward to pics of your second trip.

Cj

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:13:39 AM »
Thanks guys. Glad someone found it of interest.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 06:54:41 PM »
For some reason this thread never appeared on my "new posts since last visit" thingy.
And here I emailed Steve just last week and asked him when he was gonna post this story and pictures.
We both agreed I was probably having a senior moment.
So, I'm a-bumping it for those who might not have seen it.
Great stuff, Steve.
Gotta get me one of these...screw the posters....

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 05:37:57 AM »
Gotta agree with you Ted, that Maquette is genius.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 02:44:44 PM »
That piece is stunning. Talk about detail! Superb!   sm1

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 11:23:45 PM »
Steve, I saw a guest was looking at your Weta story thread and I think it deserves to be read by us newer members.  Great story!  Any followup goodies since then?  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 09:20:01 PM »
Would be SO amazing to have the opp to wander thru this magical mystery place where all this fantasy is/was created.

-Jeff