Author Topic: are you guilty of this?  (Read 5481 times)

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
are you guilty of this?
« on: January 31, 2017, 04:36:46 AM »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: are you guilty of this?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:55:58 AM »
Funny article.  The sad truth is, I know some people like that and they work at studios.  They have never seen Lawrence of Arabia but they know Age of Ultron by heart.

But to answer your question, I'm the complete opposite.  I have zero interest in collecting posters for movies I haven't seen.  To me, posters are an extension of the movies they represent but do not stand alone.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 01:14:29 PM »
I unashamedly display posters for movies I haven't seen.

But for me, it's purely about the artwork of the poster, which is a little different from trying to look "cultured in a modern way" because the movies themselves are iconic.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 02:00:17 PM »
Very funny satirical site! Guilty as charged about posters and heck I can go a step further, I have posters I dont even know I have. It is fun to find them when messing about in the poster room.
Saw a couple yesterday and have no recollection of ever seeing them before. Bought a large lot once and still looking through them so even rolls I know I have looked through before contain posters my brain has forgotten completely about.  faint2.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 02:22:31 PM »
I also have a good number of posters for films I havent seen. Some flicks can be really awful, but have cool or captivating artwork. And some were gotten simply because of the art that caught my eye. Others are for movies I just have gotten around to seeing yet, but plan to.

Movie posters will always be tied with their respective films; for me, whether I have seen the actual flicker or not is secondary, especially if it isnt worth the time to watch (but the poster is a thumbs up).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 02:24:20 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 03:26:44 PM »
Put another way, I won't collect a poster for a film just because it is trendy, or because of buzz.
I collect stuff because I like the image, I enjoy the film and/or it fits into my musical theme.
I do own posters for films I haven't seen.  My avatar is a good example of a lost film that nobody has seen in well over 50 years.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 01:12:20 AM »
Put another way, I won't collect a poster for a film just because it is trendy, or because of buzz.
I collect stuff because I like the image, I enjoy the film and/or it fits into my musical theme.
I do own posters for films I haven't seen.  My avatar is a good example of a lost film that nobody has seen in well over 50 years.

+1

I'm with you all the way on this collecting perspective, Jay.  thumbup  Trendy posters come and go in the blink of an eye. The "test of time" element is certainly an indicator of longevity, in many ways.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:05:34 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 07:24:06 PM »
Interesting.  I have never bought a poster for a movie I have not seen. I also understand really enjoying the art created to promote a movie. I have been tempted for some movies I watched, but was not a fan of.  For instance Fulci films (cue Ari). I am sorry. They are really tough to sit through, but the quad for House By The Cemetery is awesome.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 09:53:34 PM »
Not guilty: I don't have reprints and don't have posters on my walls.
Guilty: Pretty much every poster I have I haven't seen the film

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 10:35:08 PM »
Not really. I may have a few posters of lost films. But even with those there needs to be some sort of connection for me ie; an actor/actress/director I particularly like.

I've never really understood or have been convinced either. I've thought, if it's just about the art then why not collect other advertising posters, why film?

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 11:30:44 PM »
I've never really understood or have been convinced either. I've thought, if it's just about the art then why not collect other advertising posters, why film?

I do!  But also, as I began collecting Mexican posters I started focusing on particular poster artists whose work I admired. Which is kind of like feeling a connection to actor/actress/director I suppose.

Offline keith

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 08:15:25 PM »
I only buy US posters for movies I've seen and like. I make exceptions for unusual non-US art that I find especially compelling, in particular weird Eastern European posters.