Author Topic: Star Wars Style C - Bootleg wanted  (Read 11342 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Star Wars Style C - Bootleg wanted
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:56:12 AM »
Looking for the "hair on back" bootleg version as a placeholder until I can get the original (which runs $500+ at auction).  Maybe a possible article for MPA.

It's on eBay for $125 but I'm topping out at $30ish or trade for one of my "trade posters" here..

guest8

Re: Star Wars Style C - Bootleg wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:06:38 AM »
Depending on who has it .. Id suspect youd even pay more than $30 even for a fake ..  Dave L. sells his fake style A's on eBay and they bid up into the $50-60 range (starting at $.99).. although he did offer them to the community for free when he got the shipment in .. Id start by talking to Dave, Bruce, Rich .. or anyone one that gets a lot of posters consigned to sell and would spot that as a fake and maybe be hesitant about auctioning it even with disclaimers ..

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:14:09 AM »
I have some, PM sent.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:35:36 AM »
I have some, PM sent.

Thanks Dale - I'll take that deal!

Obviously, the Star Wars bootlegs are a very touchy subject - here's a "fight thread" about them on MPA with Wonka - but they are the nicest "reprints" out there and it will be a placeholder until I can buy a real one. (I did the same thing with Dave's Star Wars A bootleg until I got the real one a couple of months ago.)

Here's my Star Wars wall now - all originals.  An original Return of the Jedi is on the way as well (subject of a future fight - stay tuned)....

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 11:49:20 AM »
Final question:  I've heard that only 600 originals of the Style C were printed, almost all of which were sent to international markets.  Is that accurate?

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 11:53:03 AM »
I do not know......but based on the number I have seen for sale in the past, if there were only 600 printed, then there are some people out there who will be disappointed when they find out what they have.

Schan
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 12:09:39 PM »
Starwarsmovieposter.com gives it a 5/6 on the rareness scale and says "most of the print run was destroyed and unused."

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 12:37:29 PM »
I know these tend to anger some folks, but honestly unless you are INTO the poster hobby, there is no way you can tell the difference. Makes a nice cheap option for those that don't have or don't want to drop the money for an original. Plus they look better on the wall than the folded ones  ;)

I have been keeping hold of mine just to stay out of the battle.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 08:57:25 PM »
Jeff Rosen advises the following:

"There are roughly 100 PG rating style C's out there and there are at least 1000 regular style Cs. There were a number of full rolls found in the 1990s.
It's probably the most bootlegged poster because the bootlegs came out at about the same time the legit posters were found. It made it very easy to sell the bootlegs. Most of the posters on eBay are bootlegs."

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 03:15:54 AM »
I have a fake that came in with the great collection that we're auctioning later this month.. I need to keep it around for in-house use (showing to people). I also have a real style C and I can tell you the bootlegs are really not the same when side by side.

concerning Dale's comments on "folds".. I tell ya.. every poster I have framed except a few are all folded and I don't see the folds when I look at them.. But I did have a discussion with someone 2 weeks ago over dinner and one subject we spoke about were folded posters.. he linenbacks everything because folds bother him.. Linenbacking bothers me (unless otherwise totally neccessary).. to each his own..

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 08:12:23 AM »
I also have a real style C and I can tell you the bootlegs are really not the same when side by side.

How exactly are they different? Didn't the bootleg C come off the NSS printing press? IMHO my bootleg A (made with the NSS printing plate) is actually BETTER in quality than my real A.

As far as linenbacking folded posters, how does that make financial sense?  Normally you can find a rolled version of most modern posters for less additional $ than it costs to linenback them (although I imagine no rolled copies exist for a lot of rare vintage posters).

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 03:32:28 PM »
they just aren't of the same quality or true color match. They're great for display in someone's basement or in your teenager's room..

as to where the bootlegs were printed etc.. I have no idea.. but they aren't the same.. they weren't done with the same plates I don't think.. because the clarity suffers a little

when I have time, I'll make comparison pics (mostly for my own use) and post them up

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 05:21:50 PM »
linen backing absolutely does not make financial sense in most cases.  Collectors certainly wont "tack on" the price of backing when considering whether to buy a poster.  In contrast, most collectors I know shy away from backed paper because they dont know who did it and to what level of quality it was done.  This has of course been discussed ad nauseum.  I personally will only have a poster backed if I do not think I can find another copy within my means and the one I have ie either falling apart of cannot be displayed reasonably without some work.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 02:33:37 PM »
they just aren't of the same quality or true color match. They're great for display in someone's basement or in your teenager's room.. as to where the bootlegs were printed etc.. I have no idea.. but they aren't the same.. they weren't done with the same plates I don't think.. because the clarity suffers a little. when I have time, I'll make comparison pics (mostly for my own use) and post them up

The Star Wars C "bootleg" came in today. It looks pretty good.  How about posting some pics of the bootleg and the original side-to-side?