Author Topic: WOW what did I get myself into over 5000 posters to go through  (Read 13869 times)

htong22000

Hello my name is Heather. I am from Kansas. My father is a collector of anything and everything. I just recently found out its worse than I thought. He has emptied 2 storage sheds into his house, one of which was full of movie posters. All from which he got from local theatres. My question I guess is what is hot and what is not? I know they are all rolled and have been stored in tubes. What is the going rate for a poster?? I know it depends on what it is, what the condition, etc. SOOO I guess If someone is looking for particular movie posters post it and let me know. I am starting today to take inventory, sort, take pictures and going from there. Iknow he has a rare vinyl poster of batman, before the guy died. I think it'slike 6 foot x something lol. This is going to be a big learning process for me soooo I'd better get started. Thanks in advancefor any information anyone may have...

Bruce

Re: WOW what did I get myself into over 5000 posters to go through
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:24:32 AM »
I can tell you that if you carefully organize and inventory everything, and enter each item into a computer database, and then sell them all, you will likely earn less than minimum wage when the smoke clears. So be careful how much time you invest into this project.

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:36:53 AM »
Bruce has a good point...

With everything-and-the-kitchen-sink stashes like this, probably only 1 poster in 50 (or 1 in 100) will be worth more than $20 or so.  You might still sell the other 49 in lots on eBay or something, but it will be something like $5 for 50 and it will be a lot of work.  That said, with a 5,000 poster stash that means you could have 50-100 decent posters in your collection, some of which will be worth $20 and a few which might be worth $100 or more.  And you never know, there is always a chance you'll pull 1 or 2 really valuable posters out of the pile!

Or you could get nothing, but that is the nature of the game!  Best of luck!

htong22000

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »
Yah I have been researching and trying to find the prices on the valuable ones. My father said he'd be happy getting $2 a piece from them,but I know there are some worth more than that. He's big into cars, spongebob, batman, and alot of the animated movies, however he has sooo many I'm just going to inventory and probably sell in lots, he also has several of the cardboard displays as well. My father is 56 and has had a heartattack, and his life long dream has been to live in Colorado. So he has finally decided to sell everything and move. Barber chair collection, camera collection, razor collection, and I feel obligated to get him all I can considering he has just GIVEN me a 1968 396 El Camino SS that is in great condition. So I will be asking alot of questions from time to time thru out this process and apologize in advance lol. But am glad I can ask and know that you are knowledgeable in this endeavor. Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 10:57:13 AM »
Yes, best of luck with this, Heather.

If you find any James Bond posters, give me a shout.
I can help you with these.  ;D
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:23:23 AM »
Yah I have been researching and trying to find the prices on the valuable ones. My father said he'd be happy getting $2 a piece from them,but I know there are some worth more than that. He's big into cars, spongebob, batman, and alot of the animated movies, however he has sooo many I'm just going to inventory and probably sell in lots, he also has several of the cardboard displays as well. My father is 56 and has had a heartattack, and his life long dream has been to live in Colorado. So he has finally decided to sell everything and move. Barber chair collection, camera collection, razor collection, and I feel obligated to get him all I can considering he has just GIVEN me a 1968 396 El Camino SS that is in great condition. So I will be asking alot of questions from time to time thru out this process and apologize in advance lol. But am glad I can ask and know that you are knowledgeable in this endeavor. Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, welcome to the forum and enjoy your sweet new ride... that is an AWESOME car!  What color is it?

P.S. Check your 'My Messages' link at the top of this forum...

Juli

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 11:27:24 AM »
If you find any Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, or Shawshank Redemption posters please contact me. I'm  very interested in buying these.

~ Juli

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 12:46:27 PM »
Ted, where's that "Bee's round a honey pot" Animation...  ;D

Oh, and if there's any Universal Horror stuff contact me.  ;)

P.S. Welcome aboard Heather. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »
So should we all just send you our lists? Because we all have 'em... :P

Welcome to the board.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 04:15:37 PM »
Heather, are we talking pre 1980s posters or more current 2000s + posters?
Chris

htong22000

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 06:06:16 PM »
K well I am back lol. I got throught one box of posters today, and had 152 within that box. Heres what I have found, I started with the newer ones it seems. My dad has a The Dark knight Vinyl that is 8 foot tall and 4 foot wide hanging on the wall. Then there is an I robot vinyl that is like 4 foot tall and 11 to 13 feet long, too long to get an accurate measurement. There is an The Hills have eyes 2 theatrical standee still in the box never open. He has a theatrical standee of Don't mess with the Zohan that is currently standing. Then there is a get smart vinyl hanger 7 1/2 feet long and 59 inches high lol I think. Then there are 29 bus shelters that are in original boxes, half never open. There was a do not hang up on one called Eastern Promises?? Did not want to take out of box. Don't know what that was about, After speaking with my father he said his collection probably started in late 2006 early 2007.OHHH and has several more vinyls under his bed in his room GEESH!!!! These are not old posters I wouldn't say so who knows what they are worth. All the posters he has are in tubes from the old cinema in town.
Bus Shelters:
nanny mcphee                       28 weeks later          burn after reading     swing vote    because i said so      shop girl
georgia rule                            munich                   miracle st anna         eastern promises   flash of genius  college road trip
the guardian                           death race              charlie wilsons war    welcome home rosco jenkins   firehouse dog
chuck and larry                       game plan              failure to launch       bad news bears   hamlet 2   leather heads    in bruges
forgetting sarah marshall          miss pettigrew         reservation road       jodi foster
atonement

htong22000

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 06:09:33 PM »
I might run across Saving private ryan and not sure what else i will find, even if we have a garage sell and sell them at 1.00 or 2.00 a piece he willmake a killing lol seems he has alot of disney, and nicholas cage, will let everyone know what i find..

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 07:27:43 PM »
DAWN OF THE DEAD (greem text would be awesome) I am glad that your father is recovering. PM me anything horror related!

Conor
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 01:56:15 AM »
By the way, welcome to the forum and enjoy your sweet new ride... that is an AWESOME car!  What color is it?

P.S. Check your 'My Messages' link at the top of this forum...

You, sir, are beyond help.  wynk

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 01:59:52 AM »
 welcome1 Heather!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 02:45:20 AM »
A great welcome from all --- wynk 

-Jeff

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 07:00:03 AM »
That's cool, Jeff!
Where you getting all these sub-zero animations from!?
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 12:05:50 PM »
That is very good Jeff, ;D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 10:25:49 AM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »

laugh1 laugh1

-Jeff

SHOCKWAVE

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 05:00:30 PM »
omg someone who can relate to my situation tell your dad to stay healthy my mom passed a few weeks ago and left me whith this collection of poster my god !!!!!!   so i know what your going through :-)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 08:57:40 PM »
I wonder how this ever all turned out for Heather.

She's not a member anymore, so another  dontknow.gif as to what happened to the 5000+ posters her dad had accumulated and she was trying to go thru.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 09:17:12 PM »
I wonder how this ever all turned out for Heather.

She's not a member anymore, so another  dontknow.gif as to what happened to the 5000+ posters her dad had accumulated and she was trying to go thru.

This will never happen to my kids.  If they want to inherit, they have to burn all my posters in the backyard and post pictures of the bonfire on the forum.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 10:43:43 PM »
This will never happen to my kids.  If they want to inherit, they have to burn all my posters in the backyard and post pictures of the bonfire on the forum.

T

That would be some bonfire, T.   sad.gif

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 12:01:59 AM »
Most impressive aspect of that scenario would be APF still being around by that time
Chris