Author Topic: A place to tell that special dealer you hate to SCREW OFF  (Read 52843 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: A place to tell that special dealer you hate to SCREW OFF
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2014, 02:54:58 PM »
Dominique is kind of like the Benito of France.  ;D

A good seller tho.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2014, 11:14:20 PM »
oops - this guy!

http://www.dominiquebesson.com/en/vintage-movie-posters.htm

Sure, you can find a bunch of the stuff he has cheaper elsewhere...but some stuff, you won't come across that often, if ever.

Very legit, is sitting on a gold mine...most of which isn't pictured/documented on his site.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
Re: A place to tell that special dealer you hate tOF
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2014, 10:26:45 AM »
Dominique is first rate, and sometimes you have to pay a premium for that.

Now for the screw off part, would  aaavintagemovieposters please fuck right off.  Number of pre-1940 US poster auctions on e**y: 409, number minus their overpriced crap: 98.  Impossible to just scan the category, you have to search excluding them to see actual auctions.  Particularly bad just before a Heritage auction.  If you're going to sell retail, get a damn store.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2014, 10:58:12 AM »
Sure, you can find a bunch of the stuff he has cheaper elsewhere...but some stuff, you won't come across that often, if ever.
Very legit, is sitting on a gold mine...most of which isn't pictured/documented on his site.

I have a few of his French 1ps actually.  I guess I should be happy they are "worth" (retail) as much.  Now if we could only get him to put that undocumented stuff up...  and make tweeks to his website which is a bit frustrating. 

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2014, 11:09:38 AM »
Yeah, his webshite is bouncing around all the time.  Very difficult to fire a mouse click at a constantly moving target.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2014, 12:44:32 PM »

Now for the screw off part, would  aaavintagemovieposters please fuck right off.  Number of pre-1940 US poster auctions on e**y: 409, number minus their overpriced crap: 98.  Impossible to just scan the category, you have to search excluding them to see actual auctions.  Particularly bad just before a Heritage auction.  If you're going to sell retail, get a damn store.

--Peter

And the fact that they (usually) never have anything priced lower than $99.99... regardless of what it it.

They have some VERY cool, unusual and sometimes not often seen pieces, tho. So i do give them that.  :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:31:45 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »

Now for the screw off part, would  aaavintagemovieposters please fuck right off.  Number of pre-1940 US poster auctions on e**y: 409, number minus their overpriced crap: 98.  Impossible to just scan the category, you have to search excluding them to see actual auctions.  Particularly bad just before a Heritage auction.  If you're going to sell retail, get a damn store.

don't you know who that is Peter?

he has one of the most incredible over-all collections around

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2014, 03:25:32 PM »
Actually, I don't who it is.  It is fine material, no doubt, they just ain't "auctions" and I wish they'd quit stinking up the category.

--Peter

• Post-aholic
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2014, 03:35:26 PM »
Pete, I hear you about "not auction" but it isn't like the pre-1940 category is pages and pages like 1980-1990
yes he has 1/2 the category.. no big deal and you can always filter out sellers whose stuff you don't want to see (see advanced text link to the right o fthe search box at top right)

but to be sure, this is his sold listings of the past month.. they've done a crapload of money. probably one o fthe most successful dealers on ebay in posters
http://www.ebay.com/sch/aaavintagemovieposters/m.html?item=251678588711&hash=item3a99367f27&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2014, 04:17:26 PM »
Yep...I do like their stuff too...gotta say...

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2014, 10:14:02 PM »
Pete, I hear you about "not auction" but it isn't like the pre-1940 category is pages and pages like 1980-1990
yes he has 1/2 the category.. no big deal and you can always filter out sellers whose stuff you don't want to see (see advanced text link to the right o fthe search box at top right)

but to be sure, this is his sold listings of the past month.. they've done a crapload of money. probably one o fthe most successful dealers on ebay in posters
http://www.ebay.com/sch/aaavintagemovieposters/m.html?item=251678588711&hash=item3a99367f27&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

No idea you could break that down on ebay... thanks.  Think that $1800 JESSE JAMES THE MISSOURI OUTLAW w/ touch ups is the same that sold on EMP for $425?  Speaking of markets  - nice profit margin
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/2146355.html

• Post-aholic
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2014, 12:47:55 AM »
No idea you could break that down on ebay... thanks.  Think that $1800 JESSE JAMES THE MISSOURI OUTLAW w/ touch ups is the same that sold on EMP for $425?  Speaking of markets  - nice profit margin
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/2146355.html

it could be and it just enforces what I've been saying in other threads that huge percentage of those sales go to dealers who make more money, which begs the question: who is really making the money in those auctions?

-------

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2014, 10:03:31 AM »
Got no beef with making money on posters, but how you do it is fair game, imnsho.  Out of the 91 results that Rich posted, only one had more than a single bidder (for Deanna Durbin lobbies - who knew?), not counting the freak who was bidding on top of his own bid.  To my mind these are clearly Buy It Now sales, and not "auctions."  Three out of four items in a category already filtered for auctions only is clearly over the top.

Yeah, yeah, as long as he's making money for e**y I know they don't give a shit, but to me it's symptomatic of the "Me, me, me..." quality that I detest in collectors, hence the FU.  But hey, his spamming of the category is working so to hell with everybody else.

--Peter

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2014, 11:17:45 AM »
This thread has gotten too sensitive.

CJ started it to out sellers/dealers who intentionally try to mislead, steal, lie, manipulate, package terribly, etc...now we complain about pricing? Just don't buy it.

I was mistaken,

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2014, 11:47:33 AM »
Wow...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »
Not really directed at you, Peter...just a general observation.

I was mistaken,

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: A place to tell that special dealer you hate to FUCK OFF
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2015, 11:13:01 AM »
Not the end of the world, but I think this thread needs more action.

Had a recent interaction with ebay seller ruthrules.
He/she had an item I was interested in, nothing too crazy, but one I felt is overpriced just a tad. I send a message about what I would pay (not that much less), and if my offer was not going to get it done, what their bottom price would be. Was very friendly and cordial.

His response was 'thanks for your offer'. That's it.

My next message: 'Thanks for getting back to me, what does that mean in terms of my offer or question on your price point? Thanks in advance'.

No response.

Just annoyed me at that moment. The piece isn't a big deal, been sitting there for a dog's age but to not even really answer my initial question followed by a blatant ignore is so silly.

Just annoying enough not to send over my $, as frivolous as a piece that it is.

So for the heck of it and in the spirit of this thread:

Hi ruthrules. FUCK OFF!!!!!

Maybe RuthRules read this and learned from it.  I sent her an offer of about 1/3 what she was asking for a video poster.  She emailed me an hour later to let me know she whacked the price in half.  It arrived a few days ago, with fast shipping, and decent packaging.  cool1

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2015, 11:18:12 AM »
Glad I loosened the jar for ya, so to speak, Neo! :)

And who was aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadvantageposters...did we ever find out? I know he is repping the actual owner...thats all.

I was mistaken,

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2015, 12:28:31 PM »
Glad I loosened the jar for ya, so to speak, Neo! :)

And who was aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadvantageposters...did we ever find out? I know he is repping the actual owner...thats all.

aaaaaaadvantageposters is 2 guys..both located in So CA. If i recall correctly, both are co-owners but one maintains and deals with the ebay listings than the other, (who works in the film business, in the post production area).

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2015, 02:13:19 PM »
is the aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavantageposters the same guys as

aadvantageposters that has that incredible poster (*****) which I will not buy but i think it is incredible anyway?

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2016, 11:14:20 AM »
Not a dealer, but just want to throw a wrench at PayPal, for raising their fees exclusively for non US sellers to US customers.  So while i'm getting brutalized by buying stuff in US dollars, at least i was able to recuperate a fraction of it back by also selling in USD.  As of April 2 though, Paypal is raising the % points because as they see it, no one else but them are allowed to make any money. 

So, now its not profitable for me to buy or sell, anything, anywhere, on the internet.  Talk about a cash grab.  Aren't there laws against that sort of stuff? 

I guess that now that they're a separate company, they can stick to ebay with no love lost.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2016, 07:40:48 AM »
moviepostersonline
movieposterworld.com
hollywoodnoise

all the same seller, playing pricing game
all same poster, make the cheapest look like a bargain I suppose is the method.

Let me add I am biased, bought something at a friends request yesterday, refunded this morning and now blocked as a bidder. I suppose it is do to questioning the legitimacy of the Jurassic World they have that no one else in the world has.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2016, 01:41:11 PM »
aaaaaaadvantageposters is 2 guys..both located in So CA. If i recall correctly, both are co-owners but one maintains and deals with the ebay listings than the other, (who works in the film business, in the post production area).

Steve does not work in movies. He is a real estate man, though he could also fund special projects for movie friends when they need $$$

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »
Steve does not work in movies. He is a real estate man, though he could also fund special projects for movie friends when they need $$$

I wasnt referring to Steve.

I was thinking that one of the aaa guys worked in post production, and who was part of the team that was selling this collection via their store. I was in touch with one of the aaa partners years ago, and he mentioned this to me. (And maybe the guy Im referring to has since bowed out, also).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:07:50 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2016, 10:37:42 PM »
I won 2 posters on eBay, i couldnt pay as ebay checkout page said remove from cart as seller not sell this to your region even though auction said would. Seller cancelled auctions and said hell see what the problem is with eBay and be patient I'll get them. 5 weeks have passed since with no other comms. Almost time to leave neg feedback even if he finally gets the ball rolling.

here is one of the posters

I bought it as it could look good in the window of a laundry shop should I ever want to buy a laundry one day

The neg feedback will not do his ratings much good but too bad, I feel he is not interested in selling it even though it was sold to me.

Quietly, I'm sort of glad I didn't pay for it as it'll just be another dumb purchase on the pile!