Author Topic: A brief but venomous message from Tloce. [He wants to sue me now]  (Read 42603 times)

Disheveledamethyst

So, after almost two months of waiting, I got tired of eBay telling me I had to leave feedback for Thomas Loce. As many of you already know, the poster was a pathetic reprint - like, a really pathetic one - Mel did an authentication here: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1977.0.html

I never left him feedback because he was at least courteous, but it always bothered me that somebody so infamous could have such strong positive feedback. So I locked my doors, drew the shades, and left him negative feedback. Not wanting to be called out for libel, I was as objective and honest as I could be.

This was only about an hour ago. Just a few minutes ago, I received a message in my inbox. He was clearly very displeased by the negative feedback.

To anybody who doesn't recall, he claimed when the poster first arrived to me that accidentally harboring reprints is an unavoidable aspect of selling movie posters implying that not only was it not his fault he was selling me an obvious fake but that I should come to expect it for the rest of my collecting career. He then proposed that he give me a refund right away because he is apparently aware of his own reputation.

I still think everybody on this forum should buy one poster from him and leave him negative feedback, but that's just the Italian in me. I just wanted to share my experience and hopefully others will refrain from doing business with him in the future.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:22:58 PM by Disheveledamethyst »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: A brief but venomous message from Tloce.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:13:50 PM »
"MANY OF HIS POSTERS ARE SHAMELESS FAKES"

Anthony, you are awesome!

Guess I won't have to beat you up after all :)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:21:26 PM »
This shit just got real.

To which I responded...

Am I going to prison?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 02:24:43 PM »
"MANY OF HIS POSTERS ARE SHAMELESS FAKES"

Anthony, you are awesome!

Guess I won't have to beat you up after all :)

I think this statement is exactly why he now has the upper hand...Anthony you have no real proof many of his posters are shameless fakes,,only the one you bought..i hope you get a nice prison wife mate x

Stew
 ;)

Disheveledamethyst

Re: A brief but venomous message from Tloce. [He wants to sue me now]
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 02:30:54 PM »

I think this statement is exactly why he now has the upper hand...Anthony you have no real proof many of his posters are shameless fakes,,only the one you bought..i hope you get a nice prison wife mate x

Stew
 ;)

All I know is I can't afford any kind of legal action should he insist on pursuing it... I'm a college kid. A community college kid. He is sending me threatening messages insisting I file the forms to have the feedback removed. What should I do?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 02:36:09 PM »
All I know is I can't afford any kind of legal action should he insist on pursuing it... I'm a college kid. A community college kid. He is sending me threatening messages insisting I file the forms to have the feedback removed. What should I do?

He sold several of those Inception posters - so that's plural.  As an experienced dealer, he knew those were fake as hell.  So what you said is absolutely true.

It's all saber-rattling, of course.  He has no intention of suing, just trying to intimidate you.

I'd represent you myself for free if I could, if he were actually to sue.  Unfortunately, Uncle Sam won't let me - total ban on outside representation.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 02:39:10 PM »
He sold several of those Inception posters - so that's plural.  As an experienced dealer, he knew those were fake as hell.  So what you said is absolutely true.

It's all saber-rattling, of course.  He has no intention of suing, just trying to intimidate you.

I'd represent you myself for free if I could, if he were actually to sue.  Unfortunately, Uncle Sam won't let me - total ban on outside representation.

I told him I would go through the necessary actions to modify the feedback. If given the opportunity, I will change the message to say "but MY poster was a shameless fake." There is nothing not true or debatable about that.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »

If he really pursues this, ask eBay if you can modify your feedback to state that the poster you bought was fake.  Then you wouldn't be exaggerating.

On a side/related note, what a fucking scumbag!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 02:45:18 PM »
I told him I would go through the necessary actions to modify the feedback. If given the opportunity, I will change the message to say "but MY poster was a shameless fake." There is nothing not true or debatable about that.

One thing you could do to maintain your stance could be to adjust your negative feedback to neutral..you could leave a feedback as such....Poster received turned out to be Repro,Seller provided prompt full refund,many thanks.

Stew

Bruce

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 02:48:38 PM »
Maybe his fakes have shame?

Out of curiosity, what would be the cost of a lawsuit (if you live in different states) and what damages could he hope to collect?

It would be a really interesting trial. Maybe you could call some expert witnesses to comment on fake posters?

Bruce

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 02:55:52 PM »
There. I modified the feedback to something less all-encompassing. We'll see if he is pleased - I did my damage with the negative feedback, I don't much care anymore what it says specifically if he's going to threaten to have me deported.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
Maybe you could call some expert witnesses to comment on fake posters?

Yes, if only there were some sort of expert who studied posters for living... a 'professor' of posters if you will.  Then maybe he could testify on your behalf.    ;)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »
Yes, if only there were some sort of expert who studied posters for living... a 'professor' of posters if you will.  Then maybe he could testify on your behalf.    ;)

Where IS Professor Powers when you need him? Oh wait.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 03:01:59 PM »
Two words buddy, "idle threat". Feedback is YOUR opinion based on YOUR experience.  I would'nt be concerned in the slightest.  
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 03:02:06 PM »
Yes, if only there were some sort of expert who studied posters for living... a 'professor' of posters if you will.  Then maybe he could testify on your behalf.    ;)

I think i might know someone on this,good,good friend of mine..gimme a while till i track him down...

Stew

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 03:03:24 PM »
He requested I completely remove the negative feedback. I refused.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 03:04:30 PM »
This Star Wars lacks the GAU logo and is fake as hell:

How much you want to bet this Scarface lacks the hash marks and is fake?

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 03:09:42 PM »
He's asking for the poster back now. What a stubborn man. If I gave him the poster back, my feedback would no longer be honest. I thought he hated dishonest feedback?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 03:13:23 PM »

;D  ;D  ;D
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 03:16:28 PM »
He's asking for the poster back now. What a stubborn man. If I gave him the poster back, my feedback would no longer be honest. I thought he hated dishonest feedback?

Leave the (amended) negative and do not retract it.  Do not send the poster back.  He had already agreed to letting you keep it (unless you want to return it so he can use it to clean up his spilt milk!?)

He is clearly trying to intimidate you...
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 03:18:21 PM »

Can anyone on the forum get in touch with Tloce and suggest he has had his fun...?
Come on Tloce..give the guy a break?

Stew

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »
Leave the (amended) negative and do not retract it.  Do not send the poster back.  He had already agreed to letting you keep it (unless you want to return it so he can use it to clean up his spilt milk!?)

He is clearly trying to intimidate you...

Don't worry. I told him flat out I wasn't changing my feedback any further. I then sent him a message saying if he wishes to avoid future confrontations like myself he should inspect his posters more carefully before he advertises them as originals. Even though I had to alter the wording of my feedback, it is still very satisfying to continually call him out in our ongoing correspondence. I'll be sure to post those excerpts in the next couple of hours. I told him  I don't have the poster anymore, I sent it to have it authenticated by an experienced collector.

I wonder if Mel still has it. :P

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »
Can anyone on the forum get in touch with Tloce and suggest he has had his fun...?
Come on Tloce..give the guy a break?

Stew

Why contact him Stew?  The feedback is now honest and Anthony is in NO DANGER.
Chris

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 03:21:49 PM »
So hey, how do you guys feel about maybe taking it straight to eBay? We have several examples of posters he is trying to pass off as originals. I'm not saying we have him put out of business and thrown in jail but it would be nice to see eBay have him delist his fake posters.

But that's not something I could do alone, I'd need some serious support. "Back up", if you will... He threatened to call his "lawyer friend" when all I did was leave him negative feedback. God forbid action be taken against him.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 03:23:01 PM »
Does anyone here have any contacts at WB's art department?  If so maybe we can hook Anthony up and offer to send his 1-sheet there for authentication... that will surely get the bottom of things and determine whether or not his feedback is genuine.  

If so, Anthony, you should tell dickhead that you will be happy to return his poster, right after it has been sent to WB for authentication!