Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 29216 times)

Juli

Is this normal?
« on: April 01, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »
I bought a poster from the UK and the seller told me that "it could take a while to arrive" to the US. He told me he sent it out on March 1st. He sent it the standard airmail which is the cheaper shipping method out of the UK to the US. I am still waiting for it to arrive.

My question is have you ever waited a month or more for a poster to arrive from the UK to the US using that standard shipping? If so how long do they usually take to get to you? I am just wondering if I have a lot more waiting to do or if it should be here any day now. I have never purchased a poster from the UK or any other country except Canada where strangely enough it took exactly a month to get to me even though it was sent using faster shipping. It was stuck in customs for three weeks is what I found out. Is it that posters just generally sit in customs a lot longer or something?

~ Juli

Disheveledamethyst

Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 06:14:11 PM »
I was about to make a thread just like this.

Every poster I buy from the UK takes six weeks, almost every single time. I bought two posters on the same day (March 11th) - one from the UK and one from Thailand. The Thai package came yesterday. But I don't expect the UK package to come until late April.

Edit: I just checked my e-mail for reference. The three packages I ordered from the UK took 30 days, 32 days, and 41 days to arrive.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
Yes, Juli...Anthony's got his numbers right.
Mr.Boyle (where's he been, lately?) sent me a poster and it took about 5 weeks.
Unbelievably slow for the 21st century, eh?  wynk

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »
The last poster I bought out of the UK got lost - the first and only time this is happened (knock on wood!)

But I don't think a month is all that uncommon...for some reason Royal Mail is royally f'd lately - just ask our intrepid Brits about it
Chris

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 10:47:51 PM »
I ordered posters from one seller in the uk, then from another seller a week later in the uk.  The second purchase arrived in 2 weeks.  The first purchase, ordered before the second and shipped before the second, arrived 6 weeks later.  Go figure.  The Royal Mail sucks.

The only thing worse, now, is the privatized mail in the Netherlands.  I sent some stuff to someone there recently, and they lied about receiving it, claiming the wrong address was used, then lied about returning it though they never did, and they kept kicking the tube back to customs again and again.  After about 2 months or so, the poster tube was finally delivered. They were the worst ever.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 03:02:22 AM »
Without a lot of Bad language I don't know how to describe the Royal Mail. They really are very poor indeed. ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 03:37:27 AM »
Its strange because every parcel i have ever recieved internally from Royal Mail has been pristine,but for some reason when ever i have sent outside of the UK there always seems to be damage to them by the time they reach the other side.
I have wondered wether most of the damage occurs at the airport(s),by careless baggage handlers..
One of the other reasons i think most of them arrive damaged is because all the recipients specifically asked for bog standard airmail.What this means is that the buyer is willing to take the risk that the poster will take a maximum of 6 weeks to arrive,because the huge price difference to send it next day or same week is roughly ten times standard airmail.£4.00 standard, £36 Parcelforce..
So you get what you pay for i suppose..

Stew

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 03:47:57 AM »
Hi, Folks!

When we send packages from UK to USA we always use International Signed For Airmail and packages arrive within 7 to 14 days.

Despite the fact that Royal Mail say the packages are only trackable until they leave the UK, we have found that by using the same tracking reference numbers on the USPS website we can check progress of the package right through to its destination.

Don't want to tempt fate, but we generally have had very few problems using that service.

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 10:47:16 AM »
I just had Adam (bondposters) send me a package. Standard international signed. We'll mark the calendar and we'll see when it shows up!

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 12:05:08 PM »
I once waited for two months for a poster from the US to arrive here in Germany.
Paid for airmail but the seller most likely used surface mail (cheap bastard) that's why it took so long.

Armin

Juli

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 02:51:58 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies. I heard a lot of that waiting time has to do with the parcel sitting in customs. And customs says it can hold a parcel for as long as it needs. I heard that even if you get the quicker shipping, customs doesn't go any faster, just everything else is faster (which appears to be only a matter of one or two days).

~ Juli

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 03:17:12 PM »
We sent a New Years card to friends in London January 3rd. We got it back three days ago, the envelope stated "January 6th- address incomplete" (which it wasn't btw). So it took a mere 3 months to get back!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 03:19:56 PM »
We sent a New Years card to friends in London January 3rd. We got it back three days ago, the envelope stated "January 6th- address incomplete" (which it wasn't btw). So it took a mere 3 months to get back!
Any damage?  ;D

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 03:23:35 PM »
They only damage items coming to my house... ;)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 03:35:55 PM »
They only damage items coming to my house... ;)

just before the postie attempts a delivery to your gaff he whacks it off his knee.....unlucky,  ;D

Stew

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 02:11:29 PM »
Hi, Folks!

When we send packages from UK to USA we always use International Signed For Airmail and packages arrive within 7 to 14 days.

Despite the fact that Royal Mail say the packages are only trackable until they leave the UK, we have found that by using the same tracking reference numbers on the USPS website we can check progress of the package right through to its destination.

Don't want to tempt fate, but we generally have had very few problems using that service.

Best wishes,

Did I say I don't want to tempt fate?  No sooner do I sing the praises of UK to USA shipping than our latest package en route to the USA goes missing!  It's like the curse of the commentator when you're watching football on TV - as soon as they praise someone for their skill, they put the ball over the net!  Only a couple of weeks ago, packages were taking less than 10 days ... now it sounds like there will be indefinite hold-ups in US customs - which, to be fair, are outside the control of Royal Mail.

Fingers crossed!

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »
Did I say I don't want to tempt fate?  No sooner do I sing the praises of UK to USA shipping than our latest package en route to the USA goes missing!  It's like the curse of the commentator when you're watching football on TV - as soon as they praise someone for their skill, they put the ball over the net!  Only a couple of weeks ago, packages were taking less than 10 days ... now it sounds like there will be indefinite hold-ups in US customs - which, to be fair, are outside the control of Royal Mail.

Fingers crossed!

That's not what I want to hear... I have a $200 package on its way to me. :(

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
That's not what I want to hear... I have a $200 package on its way to me. :(
I'll keep 'em crossed for you too, then.
T

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
Also worth noting I am still waiting on a package I ordered March 11th.

And in regards to the $200 package I'm waiting on, I check the Royal Mail tracking website and they seem to think it was shipped in February. Either my tracking number is wrong or the mail in the UK is ludicrously out of order.

EDIT: It has come to my attention that I am a miserable American. Disregard this post, I failed to acknowledge the obvious format differences between countries.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:51:15 PM by Disheveledamethyst »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 03:45:28 PM »
Or maybe you have the dates the wrong way, Anthony  laugh1

You Americans ... You should read the date the British way - you always have to be different lol!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 04:01:32 PM »
Quite right. It makes no sense putting the month first.... It should be day,month,year, gets bigger as it goes. It's like putting 10,s, 1000's, and then 100's....

It's just not Cricket. ;D 

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »
Hey, come on now, I don't knock you guys!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 04:07:01 PM »

Yeah you Brits leave him alone....what is Cricket?
 ;)

Stew

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »

But you can't knock us anyway, because if it wasn't for us Brits you wouldn't be here  laugh1
Ohh, that's far too political for this place!
Our way is always the right way! HA HA!  ;)

Yeah you Brits leave him alone....what is Cricket?
 ;)

Stew

Good to play, but hard to watch  :P
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 04:29:54 PM »
Stew your a Brit... you may not be English, but you are a Brit. ;)  Hoots Mon...