Author Topic: Finding quality Star Wars reprints  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Zagnut

• Beginner
Finding quality Star Wars reprints
« on: September 21, 2018, 02:14:09 PM »
While purchasing the originals are out of the question, I set out to find reprints of my fave childhood Star Wars posters: ANH Style A, Empire Style A, and Jedi Style B, all 27x40 so as to fit in my frames.

The problem is finding quality reprints in which the colors aren't muted, faded, images cropped, or the entire sheet has a flat appearance.

I bought a set from a certain poster website, but am sending them back as they are nowhere near the quality I want or expect.  Those ebay auctions for Chinese-made posters, showing giant printers spewing out copies, came to mind.

So I put it to anyone reading this: where is a good place to buy quality reprints that won't cost a small fortune?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Finding quality Star Wars reprints
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 03:32:01 PM »
While purchasing the originals are out of the question, I set out to find reprints of my fave childhood Star Wars posters: ANH Style A, Empire Style A, and Jedi Style B, all 27x40 so as to fit in my frames.

The problem is finding quality reprints in which the colors aren't muted, faded, images cropped, or the entire sheet has a flat appearance.

I bought a set from a certain poster website, but am sending them back as they are nowhere near the quality I want or expect. Those ebay auctions for Chinese-made posters, showing giant printers spewing out copies, came to mind.

So I put it to anyone reading this: where is a good place to buy quality reprints that won't cost a small fortune?

What site did you get these from? Can you post a pic showing the poor quality youre talking about?

-Jeff

Offline Zagnut

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 11:28:22 PM »
Here's a breakdown of some of the problem areas.

First and foremost, the colors in all posters seem dull, muddy, and muted.

On the blue "Star Wars" logo, the stars should be sharp, but they are more like fuzzy dots.  Pic "sw01"

Uploaded with surfmypictures

In the pic showing Leia's long leg, you can see the printer (for lack of a better descriptor) trails that run from top to bottom.  They look like alternating light and dark waves.  Pic "sw02"

On the Empire poster, the images vary in flat and shiny "sheen."  Note the appearance of Han and Leia.  Pic "sw03"

On the Jedi poster, you can see the printer trails that run from top to bottom, notably around the credits.  The title should be a silver-grey; here, it's white.  Pic "sw04"

Luke's lightsabre is more of a white-grey; it should be a blue.  Pic "sw05"

A portion of the top half of the Jedi poster is cut off (you can see part of the missing X-wing) at top left.  Pic "sw06"

The area behind Lando and above Wicket is grey; it should be blue.  Pic "sw07"

Lighting, camera settings, and monitor settings may make your viewing different.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 11:40:42 PM »
Your detail shots all definitely show sub-par printing... thanks for posting. cheers

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 11:50:24 PM »
Check http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/.

I can't believe I'm helping someone buy a reprint, but I know Dave stamps them in the back so there is no mistaken identity.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 12:14:32 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Zagnut

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 11:37:45 AM »
Thanks for the ideas, folks.  I'll certainly check those sites.
It doesn't matter to me one bit if a poster is original or a reprint, as long as the quality is good.
I'm not a serious collector.  I just love the artwork of posters and just want certain ones, which are mostly from my childhood.
But I also like some newer posters, just for the art alone.