Author Topic: if we took advertisers...  (Read 20089 times)

Bruce

Re: if we took advertisers...
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 11:16:52 PM »
To me, this all sounds WAY too complicated. Why fix what isn't broken? If and when the forum starts getting stale, or gets where only the same five people post all the time, or worse yet, gets where next to nobody posts, THEN try these ideas.

I thought a simple links page would be purely positive, but given the angry feelings that alone has caused, I suggest just forgetting the entire idea.

Bruce

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 05:51:49 PM »
Why anyone would be angry is silly :o

Links page = Forum growth
Nothing = Forum stagnation in terms of members

A links page is just one proven technique of growth.
I agree that if people are going to cry about such an idea, then lets all forget it.

But helping the forum grow is the aim; and there is no harm in that.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 06:02:32 PM »
I agree that if people are going to cry about such an idea, then lets all forget it.

So what you are saying is that anyone that disagrees with you is crying?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 06:33:21 PM »
Lets call it like it is, if the concern was solely on growing the forum, people would link to the forum and not care about a reciprocal link.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »
why do we need a special page? just add them to the bottom of the forum...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 06:50:40 PM »
To me, this all sounds WAY too complicated. Why fix what isn't broken? If and when the forum starts getting stale, or gets where only the same five people post all the time, or worse yet, gets where next to nobody posts, THEN try these ideas.

I thought a simple links page would be purely positive, but given the angry feelings that alone has caused, I suggest just forgetting the entire idea.

Bruce

I'm sorry Bruce, but I couldn't disagree more.  What we are talking about (links page, sitemap, sub-URLs) are trivial modifications.  Yes, they'll take some time and effort, but any web programmer could pull these together for this site in an afternoon tops (probably more like 2 hours).  I probably even know someone who can do this quickly. 

If you guys want to find out what he would charge for it, let me know.... Again, I'm happy to donate to the cause.

Bruce

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
If it's truly not complicated, get H & T's OK and then find out the cost, and then start a fund. I'll match whatever the highest single donor gives. If it only involves a couple of hours of someone's time, the money can be raised in even less time.

Do that first, and then worry about the links idea after.

Bruce

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 06:45:14 AM »
has the forum thought about twitter or a facebook page.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 10:56:20 PM »
So what you are saying is that anyone that disagrees with you is crying?

No, I am not saying that at all.
I was actually agreeing with what Bruce said in that there seems to be some flap over all this, so forgetting it maybe the best option, unfortunately.

At this moment in time not a thing, from what I can see, will be done to promote this forum in the simplest of ways, which is a huge shame in my opinion.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »
has the forum thought about twitter or a facebook page.
Facebook page needs to be done.  Maybe twitter as well, though secondarily.  This weekend I'll have some conversation with The Big Cheese and hash some of this out.  Thanks for all the comments, and thanks for the willingness to contribute!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 01:31:01 PM »
Facebook page needs to be done.  Maybe twitter as well, though secondarily.  This weekend I'll have some conversation with The Big Cheese and hash some of this out.  Thanks for all the comments, and thanks for the willingness to contribute!
sm1

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 02:00:10 PM »

happy1
Best wishes,
Adam