Author Topic: if we took advertisers...  (Read 20332 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
if we took advertisers...
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:17:56 AM »
That is NEVER going to happen.  That said, what is it that seems to keep MPF limping along?  Andy's lucky if he gets on post a day over there, yet the site keeps going, and it has two dozen banner ads it seems.  Why do you advertisers over there keep advertising?  I recall that Rich once said that he gets more traffic from MPF click-thrus than anywhere else.  Is this still true?  Bruce?  Others?

I'm just curious, and I'm trying to get the dynamic that's at work that keeps that little tyrant going.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: if we took advertisers...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 04:10:59 AM »
Makes sense for advertisers to put their ads where a new market for posters is - newbies. MPF site attracts newbies better than most other poster sites I suspect. Probably doesn't matter that not much happens there, the ads are in their face before they find out.

Bruce

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 06:19:10 AM »
I think 50s is right on the money. But you have to ask someone other than me, because I don't have an ad there.

I am not suggesting you ever have ads, but I don't see how it hurts your forum to trade links with high traffic sites. You could create a simple "links" page that gives site's addresses, and those sites in return prominently display a link to your site, so that new people can keep learning about this cool forum. Or, as I've said before, it can end up a place where the same couple of dozen people meet to exchange thoughts (and there is not anything wrong with that, but there are already two forums just like that).

If there is something wrong with trading links, then there is just as much wrong with having For Sale or For Auction posts. But personally, I don't see anything wrong with either. I DO see a strong potential problem with your selling ads, but I am in no way recommending that.

Bruce

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 07:59:57 AM »
That is NEVER going to happen. 

clap clap clap

Makes sense for advertisers to put their ads where a new market for posters is - newbies. MPF site attracts newbies better than most other poster sites I suspect. Probably doesn't matter that not much happens there, the ads are in their face before they find out.

Bingo! They sure are. A couple of bullets got me.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 10:49:43 AM »
Interesting that this thought comes up, Bruce.  We were recently asked by someone putting up a new collector-based site if we would put a link on our main page in exchange for one on theirs.  I rejected the thought at first, but now I'm wondering if yours is the better logic.  Overall, my position has been one that I really don't care about site traffic, but then your point is well-taken that traffic brings new people to the fold where they can actually meet people who know what they're talking about.  Gotta think about this.  I hope others weigh in on this too.

I am not suggesting you ever have ads, but I don't see how it hurts your forum to trade links with high traffic sites. You could create a simple "links" page that gives site's addresses, and those sites in return prominently display a link to your site, so that new people can keep learning about this cool forum. Or, as I've said before, it can end up a place where the same couple of dozen people meet to exchange thoughts (and there is not anything wrong with that, but there are already two forums just like that).

Bruce
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 11:35:21 AM »
the bottom line is, that if you want as many people as possible to visit this forum (newbies as well as advanced collectors) you need to advertise as much as possible. Having a free link exchange page/place here is a great form of free advertising for you as well as those you would link to. Having a paid link section is great too for a place like this......but that is your decision. I can understand if you do not want to profit from this forum......but if you ever did decide to accept paid links from advertisers, you could take the proceeds and use it towards a google adwords account......advertise on google with proceeds from this site so it becomes self sustaining/non profit.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:55:56 AM »
The problem is, the links to me are an unspoken endorsement of the site you are linking too. Just be careful I guess... there is a difference between retail websites and a collector forum such as this. I can see putting up collector links and sharing with other collecting forums, just my .02.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 12:27:12 PM »
The problem is, the links to me are an unspoken endorsement of the site you are linking too. Just be careful I guess... there is a difference between retail websites and a collector forum such as this. I can see putting up collector links and sharing with other collecting forums, just my .02.

It is more than that.  Google and other search engines use cross links as a way of evaluating for position.  MPF has a lot of links and always pops up first when you search for 'movie poster discussion' or 'poster forum'.  This site doesn't show up at all, although I only searched the first three pages.

If you want a site that is visited by a small group of dedicated collectors, you are on the right track.  If you are looking to grow the forum, you need the links.  Simple as that.  Not sure which you are aiming toward, and either is fine by me.  You can always add a disclaimer that nothing is endorsed by APF.
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 12:29:56 PM »
If we went that route, which is not completely out of the question, I believe Holiday and I know enough about the hobby to chose our links wisely, and part ways with some if we made a mistake.  It wouldn't be out of personal preference, but about what site helps the hobby, and what site is detrimental to the hobby.  And again, nothing would ever be set in stone, especially since it would be, and forever remain, a free link exchange.

Something to ponder.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »
If we went that route, which is not completely out of the question, I believe Holiday and I know enough about the hobby to chose our links wisely, and part ways with some if we made a mistake.  

I am sure you guys know what you are doing. It is your site and this has worked quite well so far.
Even without all that wonderful advertising mpf has.

Bruce

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 01:52:39 PM »
I have a links page. I politely turn down 99 for every one I agree to. I have been approached many times to accept paid ads, and I always politely decline. Anyone I agree to link to must provide a link back to my site. You can't believe how many lowlives trade links, and then quietly remove my link from their site! When I call them on it, they always say it was an "error".

Bruce

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 02:32:15 PM »
I always think of the site as Holiday and Thierry's, So Ultimately it's their Choice. Though maybe if they wanted to include us guests/members, a vote might be the way to go. It all depends on what H & T want the site to become...

Personally I like how it is at the moment, it feels a bit more exclusive than other sites. On the occasions I've been on MPF, I can't say I have taken any notice of the links... While they may help some, They won't alter how I buy anything. As far as getting more people through the Forum, or to join. Does that mean more work/hassle for our leaders!! Do we want to be the Biggest or the best... 

Answers on a postcard.....Oops Email. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »

Personally I like how it is at the moment, it feels a bit more exclusive than other sites. On the occasions I've been on MPF, I can't say I have taken any notice of the links...  

Me too!

The thing is that this site turned up my desire and interest in collecting movie paper. Something mpf would never have had done for me.

It is much MUCH more enjoyable interacting with the Pauls, Ts, Holidays, Brudes, Harrys, Mels etc etc etc( I could have gone all day)  of the world than the daves. Real collectors are so much better than used car, I mean poster, dealers  :P

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »
Not "used" but "previously loved"  ;)
Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »
Not "used" but "previously loved"  ;)

then traded in for a trophy poster.  :-*
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 04:10:38 PM »
then traded in for a trophy poster.  :-*

I like your thinking!
Chris

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 07:00:16 PM »
Interesting that this thought comes up, Bruce.  We were recently asked by someone putting up a new collector-based site if we would put a link on our main page in exchange for one on theirs.  I rejected the thought at first, but now I'm wondering if yours is the better logic.  Overall, my position has been one that I really don't care about site traffic, but then your point is well-taken that traffic brings new people to the fold where they can actually meet people who know what they're talking about.  Gotta think about this.  I hope others weigh in on this too.

If we went that route, which is not completely out of the question, I believe Holiday and I know enough about the hobby to chose our links wisely, and part ways with some if we made a mistake.  It wouldn't be out of personal preference, but about what site helps the hobby, and what site is detrimental to the hobby.  And again, nothing would ever be set in stone, especially since it would be, and forever remain, a free link exchange.

Something to ponder.

T

Thanks for replying to the suggestion  ;D  laugh1
If this forum is to get bigger then taking some hints and ideas from what Andy has done on MPF, as well as other forums across the internet, is not a bad thing.
I'm not saying banner links; I echo what Bruce states.

This forum is the best poster forum on the internet - we all know that.
And that is testament to several members, and the owners.
BUT, this place is made up mostly of former MPF members (those who post regularly).

You know what to do if you wish to attract more visitors and more members.
Links on many relevant websites would benefit the forum significantly in my opinion.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 07:14:56 PM »
If this forum is to get bigger then taking some hints and ideas from what Andy has done on MPF, as well as other forums across the internet, is not a bad thing.

THAT will never happen, Adam.  We are taking hints and ideas from forum members like yourself and others, but never - mark my word - never from Peanut.  This forum was created because we HATED the way Peanut was running his forum and decided there could be a better alternative.  And obviously, we were not the only ones to think so.  So we absolutely want to AVOID what Peanut did, because it is the very reason MPF is dead and we are thriving.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 07:43:24 PM »
THAT will never happen, Adam.  We are taking hints and ideas from forum members like yourself and others, but never - mark my word - never from Peanut.  

Adam I believe is not saying do what Andy did in totality, just taking some ideas that do work well.

MPF does have some good ideas I like:
- users introduce themselves for the purpose of weeding out real registered users from robots (something found to be a problem on this site)
- a good forum domain/name ;) , speaking of which, wanna buy my domain postertalk.com for a gazillion?
- it looks visually more appealing (colorwise to me anyways)
- integration with social networking sites, such as facebook
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 07:56:30 PM by 50s »

Bruce

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 08:45:56 PM »
Thierry and Holiday

I just want to make it clear that it is fine with me if you never have any sort of links page. But I really do think word of mouth does not work well in this Internet age, and that not linking makes it likely this remains an intimate group.

But that would be fine with me, so do whatever makes sense to both of you, and I am sure just about everyone will be absolutely happy whatever you decide!

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 09:18:27 PM »
As much as I like all (well most ;)) of you, I do think it is important to continue to bring new users to the site so this forum doesn't peak/decline over time.  I think the easiest/best strategies for doing that are:

1) Splash pages for each poster type -- we should have separate landing pages for apf.com/movieposters, apf.com/gigposters, apf.com/etc...  It hardly requires any effort and it allows for a lot more unique/search specific links for SEO.
2) Make a dedicated sitemap page -- important for SEO, should be formatted according to google/bing guidelines for maximum effectiveness.
3) Make a dedicated links page -- as discussed in this thread, cross linking is important for improving page rankings... be choosy, cut out the deadbeats, whatever... but do it.  Maybe make different sections for dealers, auction houses, member sites, etc...  The more terms like these we throw around regularly the better.
4) General SEO -- (including much of the above) Probably best to pay a professional to do that... it will probably cost a few hundred bucks.

One last thing you might do to make the site more attractive (but that will not necessarily help with SEO) is to spruce up the front page.  Put some photos of some movie posters up there!  Or better yet, make a little gallery side bar that rotates random pictures from the user galleries.  Anything to show people what it is we do here will help.

Now, I unfortunately do not have the time/expertise to help with any of the above... and I'm imagining that you two don't either.  What I do have, however, is $25 to contribute to the cause.  According to your f#@king counter at the top, I have spent 20 days, 14 hours and 19 minutes on this site in the last year or so.  That is roughly 5% of my life.  While that is sad, it also means that I truly believe $25 will be money well spent.

Just let me know where to donate!

My $0.02...

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
Sounds like good ideas Harry, only problem is it is quite a lot of work, not just a little.

I mean, I would love the forum to be attractive, a good user experience in a GUI sense and be better SEO optimised, but it is an off the shelf forum which means configuration is limited.  It also requires quite a bit of reading how to tweak it. Not sure there is the will to invest the time into this, and not sure it is worth all the effort by a non techie. Building a site around it where this forum is embedded is also I think too much work for the forum administrators. Else Id say a couple of $grand to get anything meaningful done.

Creating a new homepage with nice pictures/posters, linking to specific poster splash pages that link to part of the forum is a likely tricky, and again I dont think it is worth the effort, sounds good but in reality doubt it will happen. Making subdirectories that are poster type specific is better off going a step further and attaching subdomains, which I think will be hard for the non techies. Also, you can't do much with the SEO as the forum is off the shelf. It would be great for example to change the URL of this page to include the thread name, but I doubt there is a setting for that and cant be done any other way using such a product. Also good to have a sitemap for SEO but that really would only work well if it was part of the forum - I dont know if the forum generates one for use...

If someone could look up the Simple Machines forums doco to see how to change the site skin to make it a bit more pretty and possibly more clearly seperate the forum sections, thats might be good. I don't have time either to help, likely none of us have the time+skills combo. A reciprical links page should be easy to do & shouldn't take much effort to maintain.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 12:09:56 AM »
50s, you are making it more complicated than necessary.  We don't need subdomains, only sub-pages with urls that point to relevant forum sections (movies, advertising, etc...).  These should be trivial to setup and are definitely included in the SMF software. 

As for the other stuff...

Sitemap Mod for SMF: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=755
Support and comments thread for Sitemap Mod: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=170813.0
Where to submit sitemaps for various search engines: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=232854.0
Having a sitemap might also take care of sub-pages.

Theme mods for SMF: http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/
I think all we need to do is find one with a color scheme we like and a big title graphic than can be changed to add in a bunch of movie posters.  Done.

As for SEO optimization, you can get this done for a few hundred... check your local craigslist.  They will probably take a look at the site and recommend changes which they will implement for a fee.  Again, I know this takes time/money and I don't expect T or Holiday to do it all.  I am offering to chip in to get it done though... as the alternative seems to be for everyone to complain in threads like this and then do nothing.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 12:38:01 AM »
My honest opinion is that the aesthetics of the forum is fine the way it is. A simple links page to get the ball rolling would suffice. Gotta crawl before you walk and walk before you run like Forest Gump. Keep it simple for now and as time goes on, if T. and Holiday want to take the leap and pay someone to have this forum become more advanced then maybe a donations paypal link would be a feasible way to accomplish that goal so no more money is taken from their pocket as Harry suggested.

Cj
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 12:48:33 AM by Cj »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 07:30:47 AM »
If you are going to add a links page, might I suggest that, at least initially, you limit it to websites that are not directly involved with movie poster sales (framers, general film info, etc...).