Author Topic: 2010  (Read 352698 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: January 2010
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2010, 10:42:15 AM »
Very nice Thierry!  Are those one sheets?
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2010, 10:52:49 AM »
UK double crowns (I believe that's what they're called)... 20x30in.

Love the movie, and these 4 are definitely the most elusive posters made for it.  I'm really excited.

T.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2010, 11:59:38 AM »
Grats T!

Chad

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »
Yes 20"x30" is called a double crown.

That Mel must have some money to use his posters as coasters.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
4 unicorns have been found...  It has taken me years to locate these at the right price, but I finally did.

UK Aliens.

T

Awesome... never even knew those existed!  Great score.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2010, 04:16:08 PM »
Neither did I, until a couple of years ago when I saw them on a dealer site.  But of course, they were WAY too expensive for me (kinda like a Ferris Bueller thing all over again).  So I waited in the dark, ready to pounce... and finally got them for 20% of the dealer price.

Story of my life.  I keep waiting.  :-\

T.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2010, 09:54:06 PM »
Oh it's gettin' firey. It's going to break 40 bids.

edit: LIT DS in "good-very good" cond. sold after 45min overtime for $255 at 37 bids.

I was watching that Lost in Translation (Scarlett) international auction too - I thought it would go higher.  I think it snuck "under the radar" on a Sunday afternoon.

How about posting pictures of both the front and back of your copy?  I believe the back is lighter/faded on the back.

Don't know if there are any DS repros of this but it is extremely rare so it is a "target."  I do have a reproduction and it is clearly distinguishable from an original - the reproduction is much "yellowier" than an original.

I had written Emovie about it last week.  They got back to me today and had not specifically checked the back before it was packed up.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2010, 10:41:51 PM »
A 1993 (29 x 40.5) original announcing the then upcoming Trois Couleurs series co-written by Kieslowski and Piesiewicz themed in part on the ideals of the French Republic: liberte, egalite, fraternite. The poster was colored and films released in color progression of the French flag. Blue followed by white then red.

This is me, pissing in your soup, Carson.  I'm jealous, and that doesn't happen too often.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2010, 10:43:21 PM »
Really like this one

Really cool, Dale.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2010, 10:46:29 PM »
Here are a Couple that arived today.  My helpful local post man decided it would be a good Idea to lay the package in the snow on the front porch. At least he didn't try to shove it in the Mailbox again.  Luckily no posters were damaged.

That made me laugh aloud!  What the hell are they thinking?!  The slapshot poster is a favorite of mine - that movie is almost as funny as the postman who handles your tubes (all pun intended)
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2010, 10:53:05 PM »
Best of the new stuff that rolled in today:

Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom (Japan B1):

WOW!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »
  Maybe I'm not so maniacal as some on COMPRESSION MARKS.

Here's a quiz:  Who originated the term "compression marks" in relation to posters?  You shut up, Erich, you know the answer. ;-)

Maybe you do, Carson?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2010, 10:58:45 PM »
UK double crowns (I believe that's what they're called)... 20x30in.

Love the movie, and these 4 are definitely the most elusive posters made for it.  I'm really excited.

T.

Well, now I'm damned f#@king glad I didn't give you that Alien B1.  Those are really nice, T.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2010, 11:31:16 PM »
Well, now I'm damned f#@king glad I didn't give you that Alien B1.  Those are really nice, T.

Dude, I get posters all the time, but I haven't been as excited about a new addition than I am right now in a long time.  I'm actually thinking of framing them and putting them in the hallway.  Me, framing posters!!!  That's how excited I am.  I'm one of the few who likes Aliens more than Alien.  Alien is great, but Aliens is awesome.  Definitely one of my top 10 of the 80s.

T.
My Personal Collection

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2010, 12:26:36 AM »
Dude, I get posters all the time, but I haven't been as excited about a new addition than I am right now in a long time.  I'm actually thinking of framing them and putting them in the hallway.  Me, framing posters!!!  That's how excited I am.  I'm one of the few who likes Aliens more than Alien.  Alien is great, but Aliens is awesome.  Definitely one of my top 10 of the 80s.

T.
]

Avatar poster in your bedroom. Your French poster case in the hallway and now the new Aliens posters framed. You are becoming a bigger dork than ever before.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2010, 04:56:45 AM »
I agree Dale, that Horror Show poster is great.  I have been after one for a while, but it always seems to go for more than I am willing to shell out.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Adz931

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2010, 11:20:11 AM »
Love 'The Horror Show' One Sheet, Dale!

Also, one for Schan and Mark, and anyone else - Red Goldfinger Rolling Roadshow poster??? Enlighten me, PLEASE !!!!!

Ad

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2010, 11:28:25 AM »
yeah, there was a red variant of Slater's Goldfinger.  It was a print run of 10.  You are paying for that number, because the gold one is considered superior (for obvious reasons) and is more in demand.  The initial price was $100, where the gold one was $20.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2010, 12:05:14 PM »
]

Avatar poster in your bedroom. Your French poster case in the hallway and now the new Aliens posters framed. You are becoming a bigger dork than ever before.

No, Avatar in the guest room.  The bedroom cannot be touched (per the wife).  No posters in the bedroom, only fine art.  The office is hers too.  I get the hallway, the guest room (for now, and just because she likes the Avatar poster), and the two Hitchcock pieces in the living room.  She also owns the dining room, the kitchen and the bathrooms.  Oh, and I own my closet (I have a B0 of Emmanuelle in there  ;D).
My Personal Collection

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2010, 01:05:56 PM »
The gold Goldfinger is an obvious and preferred interpretation. The red style is much better in reality than one might expect and with its extremely low print run I think it will become a holy grail for some alamo and/or bond collectors in the future.

Mark

Carson

« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2010, 01:10:10 PM »
Really nice Horror action, Dale. Those UK aliens are bad ass.

Here's a quiz:  Who originated the term "compression marks" in relation to posters?  You shut up, Erich, you know the answer. ;-)

Maybe you do, Carson?

Movie director, poster framer, book author, web entrepreneur, ninja weaponry expert and back up drummer for Rush when they play Red Rocks at Denver. The Ron Popeil of movie posters... The Zam-man was the first I heard use the term "compression marks". If the Z man ever gets married and has twins, one will be named Uber and the other one Rare.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2010, 04:34:32 PM »
It's definitely been a while since I've added anything to a new acquisition forum thread. 2009 was a bit of a blur for me as it saw me changing jobs, buying a flat, getting married and then turning 30 within the space of 5 months. This didn't stop me picking up posters though, of course ;)

I plan to contribute a lot more going forward, particularly since I'm photographing all of my posters in preparation for my collection site which I'm aiming to launch before the middle of the year. Photographing the posters is by far the most time consuming task in the whole thing, as anyone who has ever done this will attest.

Anyway, here's some of the pieces I've picked up over the past few months:

Wildstyle - UK quad - This is from the original 80s UK release at the ICA cinema on The Mall in London. It's a classic image and I love the strapline.

The Explorers - International (UK) one sheet - This is a fairly hard to find style, particularly rolled. It's radically different to the US one sheet and is notable in that it features the alien creature not seen on any other poster for this film (to my knowledge).

Pale Rider - International one sheet - This has long been one of my Eastwood holy grails and I was thrilled to find this in such excellent condition. It's superior to the US one sheet, but I do also like that poster.

Goin' South - US one sheet - Such an iconic image of Jack, perhaps only bettered by those seen on the Chinatown one sheets. That grin is instantly recognisable!

Losin' It - US one sheet - I really love this poster, particularly for its layout and use of colour. One of Mr Cruise's first roles, he's not recognisable among the figures in the Chevrolet.

Monster Squad - one sheet size - In honour of Tyler Stout's Monster Squad poster (released for sale today), I present this interesting one-sheet sized poster for the film. I don't know much about it, but I'm certain it's of the time and is not a video poster. It measures 27x41. The only thing that annoys me is that I'm sure there's a matching poster featuring Wolf Man and Gillman that I don't have. Notice the opening soon text. It's a pretty detailed poster and I'll post more pics on my site when it's ready.

Twilight Of The Dead - withdrawn US one sheet - this is the original title of what was eventually released as 'Gates Of Hell' in the US (it has several AKAs including 'City of the Living Dead'). I actually bought this from one of the owners of the US distribution company and he sent me a great email with the story of how the name change came about after threats from George A. Romero's company one week before release. Clearly the public at large may have thought it was a continuation of Romero's ...Of The Dead series. I plan to ask his permission to present his story in full on my site.

Buffalo Bill & The Indians - US one sheet advance - A very interesting poster for this 1976 Paul Newman film since it was printed on yellow parcel paper (slightly thicker than the regular brown parcel paper though). The images really stand out and there's some pretty whacked out text on there.

Back of the poster

Withnail and I - UK quad - rolled and absolutely pristine. Without a doubt, this is in my top five posters that I own. A classic quad for one of the all-time great British films. Art by Ralph Steadman. I love the detail of the cracked tiles and graffiti around the frame. It's a stunning poster in person. I have a great story about how I acquired this and about 25 other rolled quads which I plan to share when I launch my site.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:58:57 PM by Ed_209uk »
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

scartacus

« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2010, 05:30:05 PM »
Picked up a few Park circus/BFI quad releases from various sources

scartacus

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2010, 05:37:10 PM »
Here's the 39 Steps d/s Park Circus Number and wizard of oz rerelease. Plus Mesrine, Baeder Meinhof, Looking for Eric, Sin Nombre...and a a D/s Park Circus Circus Spy Who loved Me which was printed for a special one-off screening of the digitally remastered film for one night at the Odeon on Leicester Square. 

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2010, 05:46:20 PM »
Some lovely quads there, particularly the 39 steps and Oz ones. I much prefer that one to the older Oz BFI which was red and yellow and featured only Dorothy's shoes IIRC.
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper