Author Topic: Which major HONEST dealers have the HIGHEST and LOWEST prices overall?  (Read 51736 times)

Disheveledamethyst

Re: Which major HONEST dealers have the HIGHEST and LOWEST prices overall?
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 01:11:05 PM »
I tried to conduct a pretty exhaustive search at one point... My "dealer" sub-folder in my list of poster bookmarks has 69 entries! I think I've bought from and/or sold to about 7 of them.

They run the gamut from the Walmarts to the Barneys.

Before I came here, I would spend my days off when I had nothing better to do clicking through dozens of Google results looking for hidden little retailers. I actually found a handful of really great ones that I have bought a few posters from, but that was back when I really didn't know what I was looking for. But for the most part, the websites I've found leave a lot to be desired.

Interestingly, a lot of the dealers all have marquees on their websites saying they'll be adding thousands of new posters very soon or they'll be redesigning their web site in the near future. I've yet to see any of this happen, though.

I've also found a bunch of websites that have been completely abandoned. One specifically I ordered from because the poster was a steal but it never came. They never answered me e-mails and my phone calls would never go through. Eventually Paypal stepped in and gave me my money back, but they never reached them either. The website was still there, and rather nice, but all the people had disappeared...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 02:07:05 PM »
Lots of talk about high prices, but who's going to start the opposite end... will anyone reveal their best Bargain dealers. pcorn
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »
Yes, come on Paul - you must know one or two!  ;D
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 02:46:07 PM »
T - by your own admission, you get most of your gear for free anyway.
Everyone has to make a living. If you don't like it, no problem, but from you said it shows you don't understand.

Thank you Adam for your great knowledge.  Your wisdom is always appreciated.

clap

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »

Based on that comment, T, Cinemasterpieces would also have to be included;

Yes, I'd include Cinemasterpieces.  The only difference I see here is that Dave runs a very informative website that can be very helpful to newbies, while the other guys don't contribute for shit.  So for that, I'd give Dave a higher grade.

There is a dealer by my house.  I stopped by last week and was floored to see posters I already owned on display for 10x the price I paid.  Then I looked on the wall and saw a few linenbacked French posters.  One of them was a Diamond Are Forever 47x63in.  Asking price: $700.  Printer: SA Lalande Courbet.  Now, SA Lalande was active between 1983 and 1986.  This poster was an 80s re-release.  I told the owner that the original is probably worth $100 (and that's pushing), while this one is not worth the toilet paper I wipe with, let along $700.  I didn't really say it like this, but you get my point.  The owner couldn't care less.  She told me that people don't care, they see the poster, they like it, they buy it, the end.  Would she tell them it's an original?  Sure.  Since it's not a reprint, she wouldn't be lying.  Would she mention it's a re-release?  Probably not.  And thus someone will end up with a $700 piece of linen on their wall.

My beef with all this is that I believe it is our job, as semi seasoned collectors, to let people know that there are other choices.  A lot of lurkers on these forums.  If anything, I want them to know that they will be paying a lot more at Posteritati that they would at Jerry Ohlinger's shop, or anywhere else for that matter.  Both are dealers.  One is making an honest living, the other one is a crook.  Forums are meant to help and educate, and I'm always ready to expose people who take advantage of others.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »
Forums are meant to help and educate, and I'm always ready to expose people who take advantage of others.

T

I'll have to say that one of the best things I've been able to take from this forum is who NOT to buy posters from. Before APF my gauge of what a poster is worth was always fair at best, but knowing who is a poor dealer and why has really helped solidify me as an educated buyer. This forum has saved me a lot of money, made sure the money I do spend goes to the right people, and that I'm not getting some cheap reprint.

I'm very thankful for that.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 03:15:29 PM »
My answer to the question, would be...in no particular order,...

emovieposter.com

thumbup

Stew

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 03:38:40 PM »
My beef with all this is that I believe it is our job, as semi seasoned collectors, to let people know that there are other choices.  A lot of lurkers on these forums.  If anything, I want them to know that they will be paying a lot more at Posteritati that they would at Jerry Ohlinger's shop, or anywhere else for that matter.  Both are dealers.  One is making an honest living, the other one is a crook.  Forums are meant to help and educate, and I'm always ready to expose people who take advantage of others.

T
Educate, possibly.  Preach, never.

Do you frequent other, semi-related sites?  I spend a fair amount of time on AVSForums.com and satelliteguys.us.  Both sites are full of folks who are way up the curve on building home theaters.  If you look over in the AVS room construction area, you will see some absolutely spectacular movie palaces.  A large percentage include posters in their theaters, entryways or in the associated bars and gamerooms.

Do they care about originality?  Not a chance.  They all want something from the latest action/adventure movie that will look good on the wall.  Often they opt for 11x17 reproductionsbecause they work better with the aesthewtics or acoustics of the room.  The few times I have tried to suggest that someone put something different and original on that wall, it is met with a blank stare.

To further emphasize, one of the recent hot threads was how to take a poster and have it printed on acoustic transparent fabric so it could be used as part of the sound treatment.

These folks aren't idiots, and they are careful craftsmen, but their passion is not collecting genuine material, even though we share a love of movies.
-Jay-

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »
Often they opt for 11x17 reproductionsbecause they work better with the aesthewtics or acoustics of the room. 

I would be grateful if you could expand on this point you made.

Stew

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 04:02:38 PM »
Welcome back Holmes... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 04:16:32 PM »
I would be grateful if you could expand on this point you made.

Stew

Sure.  To these guys, a poster is a poster.  An 11x17" repro of Gone With the Wind is the same as having an original 1 sheet.  It is often preferred because it can be fit on a column in the theater.  It can also be placed on top of a larger acoustic panel and not affect the sound damping qualities of that panel, where a 1 sheet would present a larger hard reflective surface.  Their primary goal is to accurately reproduce the theater experience, and the poster is a small but necessary part of it.  Existence of a poster is important, authenticity, not so much.

Edit:  I find it interesting that many of them will spend hundreds to get the frame right and then balk at spending more than $10 on the poster.
-Jay-

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 04:27:50 PM »
Thanks Jayn..if the room or theatre is properly EQ`d,there should be no issues regarding reflective anomolies..but i do agree with your point regards looks over original posters.

Stew

Bruce

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 09:33:14 PM »
I guess when push comes to shove, few people want to share their "secret sources", even with buddies.

Well, here's two personal experiences:
1) Dave Rosen, Posteropolis Vintage Movie Posters, http://www.posteropolis.com: Dave advertises his stuff on MoPo. Several times I have seen him list new items, and one or more appealed to me, and I found his price fair (as was his shipping), and I went to his site and ordered in a minute or two. I got the items quickly and well packed, and found them accurately described. I highly recommend him!

2) Dale Dilts, regular poster on forums. I have not bought from him, but have read testimonials to how fair his prices are, how wide his selection his, and how he accurately describes everyone. More importantly, I have NEVER read a single negative comment on him!

Can anyone else recommend ANYONE else?

Bruce

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 09:40:53 PM »
I think also its good to remember, if you have a "relationship" with a dealer/dealers, it can be very rewarding.
Good dealers in any area will look after their good customers, with price, and heads up on new items that might be of interest. With information and knowledge. Or just for a chat.

For example, people know what I collect by now. Theres been some dealers over the years I've asked if they ever et any Aussie hammer stuff let me know. Dealers who I was in fairly regular contact with (me buying). Only to se an elusive hammer poster listed on ebay by them.

THEN there are others who email me, ARI I THINK YOU HAVE THIS BUT JUST IN CASE I GOT DAYBILL X, IF YOU WANT IT LMK, OR ILL LIST ON EBAY.

Thats a dealer, and I dont expect EVERY DEALER to look out for EVERY BUYER, but when you form a relationship of trust both ways, its bloody good (both ways)

And no Rich I don't have sex with dealers.

And yes Dave at Posteropolis has some good prices (for the buyer).
OH and I might add, Dave also is someone who after I made an order, came along and JUST found something I might like, which I did and bought.
Works for me and him.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 09:57:36 PM »

Im not an expert on pricing as I seem to usually over pay ( still  moron1), so you cant count on me there but I can recommend Hideyuki as someone that is reasonable, very easy to deal with, ships very quickly and has great packaging.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »
Yeah, Hideyuki is great.  I'm just tired of Japan's high shipping fees.  I'm sure what just happened is not going to help.

BTW, Hideyuki, if you read this, I hope you're okay.  I don't pray, but I'm thinking of you, my friend.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 06:02:12 PM »
T,

Here's just one current example of an item currently offered by Cinemasterpieces. Price: $12,995.00.   :o

Last July, a copy of this same insert sold at Heritage's July, 2010 auction for $4,481.25, and that price included the 19.5% BP. (Question: Is this the same copy, by chance)? If it is, would you not agree that tacking on $8500.00 eight months later is more than excessive (and I am basing this question on your initial comments about Posteritati buying something, then flipping it & charging X times more)?

And even if this is another copy (but i would think these are pretty rare), that price is VERY high, considering what the other sold for, just last year.

(And yes, I do know that sellers and dealers can charge whatever they like. I am just presenting this example and asking, based on the context of parts of this thread.  :) )

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 06:47:47 PM »
Jeff, you forgot to mention that there are WAYYYYY more spectacular posters out there that can be had for $13,000 (and are maybe even worth it!)
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »
T,

Here's just one current example of an item currently offered by Cinemasterpieces. Price: $12,995.00.   :o

Last July, a copy of this same insert sold at Heritage's July, 2010 auction for $4,481.25, and that price included the 19.5% BP. (Question: Is this the same copy, by chance)? If it is, would you not agree that tacking on $8500.00 eight months later is more than excessive (and I am basing this question on your initial comments about Posteritati buying something, then flipping it & charging X times more)?

And even if this is another copy (but i would think these are pretty rare), that price is VERY high, considering what the other sold for, just last year.

(And yes, I do know that sellers and dealers can charge whatever they like. I am just presenting this example and asking, based on the context of parts of this thread.  :) )

I don't get your point Erik.  I agree that Cinemasterpieces is outrageously overpriced - need I bring back "Pretty Woman" :)  But Dave at least participates to the discussion and brings a lot of expertise to the table.  Plus, like I said, he runs a very informative website.  Posteritati doesn't do any of the above and charges more.  So if I had to chose between 2 evils, I'd go with Dave.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 07:47:45 PM »
I don't know much about Dave and his customer service as I have never bought anything from him. Maybe I will one day.

However, I do know that Posteritati, whether you talk to them on the phone or in person, the staff there is more than willing to help you out, no matter the price of the poster you intend to buy. I know T. and maybe some others may not like the prices they charge for their stuff and they can be a bit high, but the  customer service is outstanding. I know they put on a bunch of local poster shows and Sam Sarowitz has published a book or two. Just know from my experience, their prices are not set in stone. 

Do you guys recall Mel buying a Planet Terror one sheet for $75.00 (or Less) from Jerry's and then after he posted it up here on the site, Jerrys price immediately went up to around $150 - 200.00 (cant recall the exact amount). In my opinion, thats bull shit but its the way the business goes. It does no good complaining about what dealers charge. It is their business, and they have lasted this long charging the prices they have, whether it is on the low end of the price scale or the high end. Some will support them and some wont.

Cj

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2011, 12:25:32 AM »
I guess when push comes to shove, few people want to share their "secret sources", even with buddies.

Well, here's two personal experiences:
1) Dave Rosen, Posteropolis Vintage Movie Posters, http://www.posteropolis.com: Dave advertises his stuff on MoPo. Several times I have seen him list new items, and one or more appealed to me, and I found his price fair (as was his shipping), and I went to his site and ordered in a minute or two. I got the items quickly and well packed, and found them accurately described. I highly recommend him!

2) Dale Dilts, regular poster on forums. I have not bought from him, but have read testimonials to how fair his prices are, how wide his selection his, and how he accurately describes everyone. More importantly, I have NEVER read a single negative comment on him!

Bruce

Good honest dealers, both.  Colin MacLeod is also pretty good from my experience, as is Mr. Ohlinger.  Obviously there are others, but there is that whole Gollum thing.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Bruce

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2011, 06:33:08 AM »
I'm sure most of you don't remember Jose Carpio of Cinemonde, but from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s, he was the premiere movie poster dealer. He published full-color catalogs with elite items (and very high prices) and he developed a strong clientele of rich and celebrity clients who did not mind paying his sky high prices.

But he specialized in items you couldn't find anywhere else, and he absolutely supported his prices. If you offered him a poster he had in his catalog for say, $500 for $250, he would buy it. This is not true of almost all other dealers with high prices.

He also argued that he was not the highest priced dealer, and he would list off ten other major dealers (like Joe Martinez of Cinema Collectors and Jerry Ohlinger) and he was right that all ten of those had prices at least as high as he did.

He stood behind his sales, and whenever a good customer would contact him and want to sell something they had purchased from Jose years before, Jose would try hard to find a new buyer for that item at a higher price, so he could make a commission, and the customer could make a profit on that item.

To me, a big issue is whether a high priced dealer uses deception to sell their items (like saying that an item is a good buy at say $550, when that item usually sells for $50) and whether they sell easily obtainable items for many multiples of their regular retail.

Those two things bother me. But if they offer items you can't find anywhere else for skyhigh prices, that doesn't bother me, and if they have higher than usual prices on commonly seen items that doesn't bother me either, as long as they are not massively over-priced.

None of you have mentioned the many eBay sellers with their massively overpriced items that are offered at Buy It Now, but I guess that's because you don't buy from them (and since the items never seem to sell, it looks like no one else does either!).

Bruce

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2011, 07:43:29 AM »
To me, a big issue is whether a high priced dealer uses deception to sell their items (like saying that an item is a good buy at say $550, when that item usually sells for $50) and whether they sell easily obtainable items for many multiples of their regular retail.

I cant imagine anyone like that...

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2011, 09:30:27 AM »
I'm sure most of you don't remember Jose Carpio of Cinemonde, but from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s, he was the premiere movie poster dealer. He published full-color catalogs with elite items (and very high prices) and he developed a strong clientele of rich and celebrity clients who did not mind paying his sky high prices.

But he specialized in items you couldn't find anywhere else, and he absolutely supported his prices. If you offered him a poster he had in his catalog for say, $500 for $250, he would buy it. This is not true of almost all other dealers with high prices.

He also argued that he was not the highest priced dealer, and he would list off ten other major dealers (like Joe Martinez of Cinema Collectors and Jerry Ohlinger) and he was right that all ten of those had prices at least as high as he did.

He stood behind his sales, and whenever a good customer would contact him and want to sell something they had purchased from Jose years before, Jose would try hard to find a new buyer for that item at a higher price, so he could make a commission, and the customer could make a profit on that item.

Those two things bother me. But if they offer items you can't find anywhere else for skyhigh prices, that doesn't bother me, and if they have higher than usual prices on commonly seen items that doesn't bother me either, as long as they are not massively over-priced.

None of you have mentioned the many eBay sellers with their massively overpriced items that are offered at Buy It Now, but I guess that's because you don't buy from them (and since the items never seem to sell, it looks like no one else does either!).

Bruce

You mean Mrs.Miniver and that goof in the UK that lists posters for millions of £

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »
You mean Mrs.Miniver and that goof in the UK that lists posters for millions of £

Benito also has BIN listings month after month of VERY high priced (and often hard to find, rare) foreign paper on Ebay. Buying from him will ding the wallet, that's for sure. 

-Jeff