Author Topic: What was your "trigger" to begin collecting movie posters?  (Read 18109 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
What was your "trigger" to begin collecting movie posters?
« on: March 22, 2011, 01:52:44 AM »
For me, it was when I was staying at a Disney World hotel in 2003. In the room I was staying in, there was a framed Fantasia poster on the wall next to the bed. After a couple of days in the hotel room, I said "I think this is an original poster". I also noticed it had a linen backing-at that time I didn't know what that meant. Then, on the last day of the vacation, I went to MGM's Sci-Fi Drive-In Restaurant and saw more vintage movie posters used for decoration. I then noticed even more in the hotel lobby. After I came back from the trip, I threw all of my money into posters on Ebay for 6 months. I then stopped collecting until early last year and have been collecting for about a year again.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: What was your "trigger" to begin collecting movie posters?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 01:55:12 AM »
I stumbled into a vintage poster shop in the Netherlands a few years ago... I saw a French 1-panel for the Good, the Bad and the Ugly and I was floored.  I ended up buying my first poster on the spot, a Belgian Once Upon a Time in the West.  When I got back home I found eMovieposter and bought my first couple polish posters... the rest is history!

Turns out Wim knows the owner of that Netherlands shop quite well!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:13:52 AM »
I think Holiday needs to change the smiliey code for that BED icon to something like 'bed1' because everytime anyone types BED it will appear. I put BED in capitals to prevent it appearing.

I got into movie posters only because I was hosting an 80's party and wanted some posters. I thought Id check out ebay and found a nice large French 1 panel of one of Madonna's concert tours playing in Paris. When I received it I was impressed with the size and color. Tried to find somewhere to take it to have the folds removed and ended up at a restorers store. I saw awesome advertising posters in varing stages of backing, so started collecting them. There were also some movie posters too. From there I decided to check out ebay and started from there, then looked for poster forums... I still like the stuff now on ebay almost as much as I did back then. Ebay hasn't degraded for me as much as for others it seems.  

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:48:39 AM by 50s »

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 08:21:40 AM »
Around 1999 or 2000 I could not find my copy of Return of the Living Dead.  It was long out of print on VHS and not released on DVD so I started poking around the internet and came across an original poster for sale.  When it arrived in the mail I was really impressed with the quality and the novelty of it surviving so long after its original purpose.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 09:31:26 AM »
When I was a wee little kid in '66, I went to see ONE MILLION YEARS BC at a matinee and fell in love with Raquel Welch in a fur bikini.  The manager gave the poster to me the following week. I started pestering local theaters for their posters and then in '68, BARBARELLA sealed my doom. I've been hooked on posters and ladies since.
 bed

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 09:51:06 AM »
Back in college, I took a date to the opening night of Star Wars.  All the multiplexes were jammed, so we went to a small town theater instead.  On the way out, I took a shortcut through the alley and there on the side wall of the theater was a style D.  I absolutely fell in love with it, but nothing more happened.

Fast forward to 1989.  My wife and I happened into a poster shop in Denver.  Not Hollywood Posters, but the other one over by Denver University.  Wasn't thinking movies, but they had a style D available for the lordly sum of $20.  Was folded, pinholes and somewhat worse for wear and I bought it and three other movie posters on the spot.  Kind of out of character, because I don't tend to collect much sci-fi and until recently, this was my only SW material.
-Jay-

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 09:51:44 AM »
I more or less tried making this thread and only got Holiday and CSM to reply. Nobody likes me. </3

Anyway, mine was because of a girl. I never bothered to take home posters that came into the theatre, even when I was offered good ones (Basterds, namely) because in the last decade the only piece of decorative material I owned was a bumper sticker slapped on my wall. Then I started courting a co-worker via the weekly staff previews because I no other way for having a valid reason to be around her. After things took off and we started dating we started considering the first preview we went to our unofficial first date ("Where the Wild Things Are").

It was a popular poster among the staff. We only got in two of the teasers, the unanimously respected as the best, and there were eleven of us. One of the people who got one had quit and the other I hated. But I gave him $25 and he gave me the poster. That was the first movie poster I ever owned.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 12:18:51 PM »
I more or less tried making this thread and only got Holiday and CSM to reply. Nobody likes me. </3

"Only"??? Psssssh...

Mine started with a Temple of Doom daybill - and then shit hit the proverbial fan
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 02:52:53 PM »
I was up late one night surfing dvds for classic movies and came across some posters. Light bulb went on. "Hey I have some bare walls and movie posters would be perfect". Dove in that next day and bought a couple of cheapies off of ebay.

Opened the tube and it was all over.

I was just going to get maybe 6-7 posters to hang. Now I have about 250 pieces of paper and thats in 18 months. Granted most of them are only good for tp and arent worth as much as I paid for them but I like them. Too much probably.  ;D

Juli

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 03:13:09 PM »
Being that I was interested in movies (especially Steven Spielberg) I soon saw some of the posters for movies like Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan and thought it would be neat to own an original movie poster to these films and others. My problem was that I had no idea where to get them (I knew eBay was full of fakes/reprints) so when someone told me that people get them by asking the manager at their local movie theater I decided to give that a try.

Sometime in 2007 I went to the movie theater, found the manager (whom I would later become friends with, along with other theater staff) and talked to him a little bit about my interest in movies and wanting to acquire some movie posters to start a collection. He led me into the break room where the staff took their breaks, and there was a box full of movie posters. I couldn't believe it. He told me I could take whatever I wanted. At the time any movie poster was really cool to have (Charlie Wilson's War, Alvin and the Chipmunks, P.S. I Love You, Bee Movie etc.) so I took what I could carry and had a big smile on my face. The manager also let me have some trailers (35mm film reels) which I thought were so cool. 

Later on I learned about how to get the better posters, which involved a waiting list. I asked how I could get on it, and the manager and staff told me that usually only people that work at the theater get on the list by first come first serve. I was getting to know the manager and staff better and they were now my friends. They allowed me to be on the list even though I didn't work at the theater. I am the only person that gets posters that doesn't work at the theater.

I have gotten a few good posters this way - Inglourious Basterds, Toy Story 1 & 2 Double Feature 3D, Toy Story 3, and Harry Potter 6 and 7 (Part I). The sooner I request a poster, the better chance I have of getting it. Sometimes I would still be the first to ask, but someone else offered something so they got it. So it's still a chance I won't get them, but 50% of the time I will get the poster I really want.

I also started to buy a few posters but I don't do that as often as I am scared they are fake/reprinted. Once I know they are legit and real I will buy if I like them enough. I have purchased a Schindler's List poster someone here helped me find and told me it was legit, and I also bought a Raiders of the Lost Ark poster a while back (2008) when someone told me of a really trustworthy dealer that sells authentic movie posters, and because this person knew the dealer, I got a discount. That was really nice I thought.

~ Juli

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 04:04:46 PM »
"Only"??? Psssssh...

Aw, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to minimize you. Let me rephrase it in a way that's more flattering:

THE ONLY KICK-ASS MEMBER BRAVE ENOUGH TO RESPOND BESIDES HOLIDAY WAS THE ALWAYS SENSATIONAL, UNFORGETTABLE, BOLD AND BODACIOUS CSM.

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 04:08:04 PM »
Got a little bored with comics and decided to start reading about poster collecting.  Reading lead to websites, which lead to questions, which led to forums…

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 04:26:29 PM »
Got a little bored with comics and decided to start reading about poster collecting.  Reading lead to websites, which lead to questions, which led to forums…

So, Angelo...
Do you now collect posters or are you still in the research phase?  wynk

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 08:39:55 PM »
Aw, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to minimize you. Let me rephrase it in a way that's more flattering:

THE ONLY KICK-ASS MEMBER BRAVE ENOUGH TO RESPOND BESIDES HOLIDAY WAS THE ALWAYS SENSATIONAL, UNFORGETTABLE, BOLD AND BODACIOUS CSM.

That is much, much better!  Now I can go back to perching comfortably on my pedestal...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 08:40:51 PM »
So, Angelo...
Do you now collect posters or are you still in the research phase?  wynk

I'd say Angelo is in the "cautious/discriminate" stage - which is really the proper place to be!  ;)
Chris

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 08:02:41 AM »
I'd say Angelo is in the "cautious/discriminate" stage - which is really the proper place to be!  ;)

I agree.  I tend to pass up many more posters than I buy.  Having a better idea of the market for the stuff I collect helps, and my tastes have matured(narrowed) a bit since I first started.  That being said, I'm still prone to putting in a tracking bid in one of Bruce's auctions and end up winning  ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 02:22:14 PM »
My initial trigger was when I was working for a small film transfer company, right after college, in Malibu, CA. Every now and then material from the studios would come into the office, including OS posters. I think Ive mentioned that many of these posters were destined for the trash can, and rather than have them just thrown away, I would ask if I could have/rescue them. The answer was usually a yes.

So the trigger and bug were planted but then went a bit dormant. I would occasionally wander into poster/film/book shops on Hollywood Blvd or in Santa Monica and browse, picking up an occasional still.

Then, in 2004 or so, a fellow co-worker (he is an ass't film editor) mentioned something to me about his poster collection. He was obsessed with Polish posters, especially, and literally had Hundreds and hundreds in his collection. He lived close to me, and I went over one day, to look at the photos he had taken of most of his collection. He had the pics in a photo album. He also showed me the room and many of these posters, that he had also backed, were in neat piles in a spare bedroom. He also had a number of things framed in his living room and hallway, including a French 1P for Beauty and the Beast (1946) and a US insert for Sunset Blvd (1950).

The trigger was again pulled and the poster spark rekindled.

I've been on the collecting ride ever since.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »
If I'm going to be really honest, I'd say it's women, pretty women.  As a teenager, I had a whole list of women who I found attractive, starting with Brooke Shields in Endless Love and continuing with Nastassja Kinski in everything.  Naturally, I wanted their faces on my walls, and magazines were not big enough, so I went for posters.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 05:09:06 PM »
I love Return of the Living Dead. I saw it when I was young and forgot about it.  When I got older I could not remember the title, only bits of the movie.  When I found it and watched it again, it became a favorite.  I was looking for the VHS (yes, the VHS), which was out of print.  I ran across the poster and bought it, not realizing it was an original.  When I got it and realized it was an original poster that hung in a theater, it was a great feeling.  Owning a piece of history related to the movie I loved. I was hooked. 
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline Klownicle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 07:58:52 PM »
The Interview :(

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 02:17:59 PM »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 02:32:27 PM »
Interesting stories.

Jeff, it's cool that you were able to acquire those that would have been thrown away, otherwise.  Being close to the scene out there in Cali would surely be inspiring, also.

T, did you have a framed, or displayed collection, back in the day?

CJ, that is cool, to discover that the poster you acquired back then is a piece of history.

thumbup thumbup thumbup

For me, it started when I was looking for some posters from my favorite movies, in 2008.  I had been getting back into movies, after a rough couple of years, and combined with being "in the money" again for the first time in a few years, I figured I'd pick up some originals.  Then the searching for better deals led me to more obscure stuff, and it became a fun way to pass some time, and it's been a good trip since then.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 03:56:56 PM »
For me it was a fluke.  I had never purchased anything collectible or really perused ebay.  Its very weird I used to be very minimalist, anti-hoarder type..., just wanted a few essentials (fishing gear, guitar, books) and the rest was all excess.  I don't know why I was on ebay one day and saw an old pre WW1 propaganda poster.  I actually had my dad (who had an account) bid on it and I won.  Then I had him bid on another...and another.  After about 7, I created my own account.  I remember coming across EMP early on, and being like "nah, not for me."  Soon though, my interest in war posters came to include movie posters and now all posters in general. I also collect and hoard a lot of useless shit now.  Very weird.  Its like I'm turning into my dad!  Scary.  Next thing you know i'll be talking to you guys about daily fluctuations in gas prices!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:59:22 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline Klownicle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 04:30:45 PM »
Why the  :( ?

Well the poster is "cool" I think, but the reasons surrounding the initial thought were not pure at heart. Lol

First off, the obvious was the news surrounding it.  And I heard they were going for a lot, so like everyone else I thought it would either be a quick buck or just curious about the prices to check it out.  And then I begin to think about other cool posters I'd seen displayed and was like, yeah that would be fun to display in my "theater" room. So after finding a "Christmas" labeled Interview (not for eBay prices... Lol) then I went looking for the Interstellar IMAX "Ship on Water" One Sheet.  So Interview popped my cherry, but as a movie fan in general it opened up the idea of collecting posters to me.

I never did sell the Interview poster, and currently have both the Fall and Christmas labeled one sheets.  I don't display them, due to limited display room and they are also "brighter" than my usual poster in the led frames.  But still started it all!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:34:02 PM by Klownicle »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 06:14:33 PM »
T, did you have a framed, or displayed collection, back in the day?

Yes, I did when I was a teenager to about 25.  Then I grew out of it.  I didn't have that many posters back then, and I wasn't collecting per se.  Just putting pretty girls on the wall.  I didn't start really collecting until 2000 (I had 70 posters in 2000) and never displayed my collection from then on.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)