Author Topic: Dedicated LINKS section that is easy to find/see.  (Read 18680 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Re: Dedicated LINKS section that is easy to find/see.
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 03:49:22 PM »
Stew,

Why are you giving me a dig?
This is about promoting this website, not about me.

I'm not attempting to sell anything here  :-\
Or turn this into some sort of James Bond Keyring discussion - where did that come from??
Yes, you click on my website and see posters, and you are more than entitled to your opinion, but I do guarantee you see some you have never seen before and cannot find on Google, so actually in a way that does enhance your knowledge of posters, specifically Bond posters, which is great! ;D But also, you should remember I have stated publicly what information will go onto the website in the future. (Oh, and also, I don't sell from my website so I gain nothing on that side.)

Relevant links increase traffic to a website - it is proven.
Ask any web designer. Google, essentially, is a massive links machine, as is Yahoo! and Bing.

NeoLoco, yes, I understand what you are saying, but it is a suggestions section ...
Free speech or whatever, shouldn't the owners reply to all suggestions?
It's a bit of a difficult one, but they asked us to suggest, so at the very least they should say ye or nay, whether or not it is me or anyone else asking the question.

Well, I went there first.  Only came here because Mel sent me a PM.  It wasn't the links though.  I found MPF through a Google search.  APF did not show up in that search.

One last thing.  I was initially rejected and had to beg to gain admission here.  Took a couple of days.  I know you are trying to keep out the bots, but I think you are telling legitimate members to go away as well.

And I don't believe for one moment Thierry and Holiday would allow any dealer to tell them how to run this place when they are so hot on forum admissions as described in the above post by jayn_j.

Well ...  eyeroll ... One tried.
(I must state for the record: This suggestion has no personal gain for me - I just wanted to aid the forum growth)
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
Adam,it wasn`t a dig,its my opinion.
Im dubious to your claims that many posters i would not be able to find on google...please give examples...
The james Bond keyring thing was related to memorabilia...did you not read my post?

Stew

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 04:09:38 PM »
Free speech or whatever, shouldn't the owners reply to all suggestions?
It's a bit of a difficult one, but they asked us to suggest, so at the very least they should say ye or nay, whether or not it is me or anyone else asking the question.

Well ...  eyeroll ... One tried.
(I must state for the record: This suggestion has no personal gain for me - I just wanted to aid the forum growth)

Now you're saying that they "should say ye or nay".  In what part of the topic "Suggestions" does it say "suggest something and one of the forum owners will respond."?  

I think it's safe to say that we all love having you here as much as  bed  but seriously, come on man, this is another example of me coming here to waste some time and ending up wasting my wasted time.  :D

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »
A few things.
As tou now NSFGE has never had sponsors, advertising or whatever, I am happy for dealers to have a link in their signature, link to specific items in their posts. Link to their site, ebay, MPB auctions, whatever in the FS section. I don't add links, don't ask for links in return for the advertising they do get from posting.
Rich DID have a banner on MPB, but he removed it, don't know if its back or not.

AND despite this, I have had HUNDREDS of emails over the years asking, begging, THREATENING to get me to, Ban certain member/s, delete certain post/s, disclose certain IP/s, All sorts. Some people were/are very passionate about it.

I can't imagine the pressure IF these people were either paying me every month, or we had struck a link exchange deal.

To be your own boss, even if you don't make a buck, feels good. And end of the day, Both T and H have said before, its no skin off their nose if the site doesn't grow. Everyone wants it to be the best it can be, but you maybe the best it can be is smaller, but FREE.

Just a thought.

PS: check the amount of links on the front page of MPF.
PS: check the amount of posts in the last week.
PPS: if Andy gets THAT many new members as claimed, it means nothing if they don't post - except that they might click one of the dealer links, so the dealer is the winner, NOT the forum.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 10:59:55 PM »
My stagnant hog-waller post was partially in jest.
Holiday and T have made it clear that this is a place to socialize and have fun without any of the restrictions sponsors might bring or attempt to impose.
This is just a place for us poster ho's to hang out. 
Ain't it cool?

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 08:59:29 PM »
You know, I didn't even see this thread before I posted what I did in the other section.  Seems the topic is more apropos that I thought.

Thierry and I will digest what's there and in the other thread.  It seems that a change is needed, now that I consider the other opinions out there.  It started with Cj and now his single voice has multiplied into a chorus! 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 09:48:51 PM »
  It started with Cj and now his single voice has multiplied into a chorus! 

To be fair, It actually started with Adams suggestion and starting this topic. I only took it behind the scenes.

Cj

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 03:18:32 PM »
Wow.  There's a lot to digest.  BTW, Adam, I wasn't ignoring the thread.  I've been busy with life is all and I've only glanced at the movie poster and graphic art poster sections.  I missed this one.  How's that for diligence?!

Anyway, I need some clarification from Dale on what was meant by his post.  MPC imploded, I know that, and I know at a basic level it was caused by infighting.  I don't know how this issue of links and banners and whatnot would lead us in that direction, and I'd like to know to avoid that peril if it exists.

There's one thing mostly that keeps us from growing -- neither Thierry nor I have the time to move the site forward.  We're fortunate that it's taken on its own steam and it chugs along on its own.  But to make these changes, we would need someone with some more time to dedicate to the task. Also, we are not technical minded.  I'm an attorney and Theirry is... well, he's just Thierry.  I'm a smart guy, but without the time to figure out how to add links and banners and the like, it will never get done.

My initial view was like someone recently posted - FUCK NO!  But Bruce's comments got me to thinking that it's for the good of the hobby and to avoid future boredom that we get new people over here, and people who participate at that.  I note that while expresso beans has 30K members, proportionately speaking, they have even less posting over there.  It's not about numbers, but participation. 

I don't want to repeat Mopo's mistake - if we do links, they will be reciprocal or not at all.  My concern has been favoritism and getting beholden to people.  Like Ari said, there's great relief in not having taken people's money for advertising, and therefore not be accountable to them.  But, as much as we have tried to avoid accountability, we now have it with a growing sense that we should feed the forum. 

I've been spending more time at eb these days as I collect more art prints.  It's a slick site with a lot of nice functionality.  EB costs an arm and a leg to run.  Right now, this forum costs about $600 annually to run, a cost that Thierry and I split.  That's with member participation to moderate it.  If member participation continues, specifically with technical expertise to handle the modifications needed to create links and banners as need be, either that has to come from member participation, or it will lead to increased expense. 

EB's example is a good one, I think.  But I throw it out there for you to consider with the links/banners issue:  do we allow for donations to defer increased expenses if we go in that direction?  EB does, and when I saw how useful the site is for me, I sent them $20 as a donation.  They have no membership dues.  They have no advertising.  They are member-supported through donations only.  It seems to me, though, that it always has to be through member support.  As soon as we solicit outside funds from advertisers or whatnot, we're dead in the water.

When Thierry and I started this, it was clearly "ours".  Correspondingly, we could care less who stayed and who went.  That's changed a bit now.  In just over a year, the forum has grown into something that belongs to us all.  Just like NS4, the participants have taken over, which is the whole point I guess.  It's for this reason - to address those who have so commented - that we "allow" this discourse.  That word "allow" really sucks, because that's not it.  The spirit this place has and will always be free participation, without censorship, and with only the lightest moderation to keep the place in order.

But like Spiderman would say, with ownership comes great responsibility.  If you all are serious about some of the changes you are suggesting, then greater participation will be needed to make it happen.

Thoughts?

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,154.0.html

My thoughts are once you start bartering links, you give someone a voice whether you think you do/care or not. Some voices are louder than others in the hobby. Holiday/Thierry, you do not have any invested interest on the retail side of the house, so in theory you shouldn't have the same issues that Jon was dealing with.

Believe it or not, not everyone in the hobby likes everyone else, and there is some bad blood between a few folks as we have seen over the years through the forums. I just think opening up the links, invites some alternative interests in once you start having retail sites hosting links.

End of the day, it really doesn't matter a whole lot to me, we saw a once thriving forum go down in flames once,  it sucked honestly, and would hate to see it happen again, but again, maybe your interests being different than Jon's will make a difference.