Author Topic: Dedicated LINKS section that is easy to find/see.  (Read 18963 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Dedicated LINKS section that is easy to find/see.
« on: March 13, 2011, 01:54:50 PM »
Hi guys,

There's no doubt about it - this forum has, well, in terms of genuine member rate shot to the top.

But, I find that the lack of an easy to find, easy to see 'LINKS' section is detrimental to the growth of the forum.
We have sections for 'Movie Posters', 'Movie Talk', 'Advertising Posters' etc.
Yes, there is the 'Dealer/and or collector site links' section, but in all honesty, it's not great.

What do you think about having a dedicated section for 'Links', with separate headings for Poster Dealers, general movie memorabilia dealers, auction sites, reference sites and miscellaneous.

It could be placed at the bottom, underneath the section 'Off-topic Discussion'.
And maybe all possible links would have to be approved by T/Holiday and/or moderators.

T & Holiday - I know your views and visions from what I have read, but I think this could potentially increase traffic to the website because you may get a lot more people coming forward offering to exchange links - it can only help the forum, which is a good thing.

What does everyone think?
I think it is a good idea and of benefit to everyone here.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Dedicated LINKS section that is easy to find/see.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 04:46:29 PM »
One part of me says SPAM.  The other part says it would be a good way to recruit new members to the APF Army and possibly enable Holiday and Thierry to make a few bucks, as well as some sellers  wynk.

Bruce

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 04:56:14 PM »
Here's the thing. Ten years ago MoPo (which at that time had 500 members) asked all dealers to link to them. I added a link, but then noticed that most other dealers did not. So I told the list owner that I would not send my bidders to a site where they would find links to other sites that did not also send them their bidders. But he refused to insist that those who had a link on MoPo link back, so I had to remove my link.

Ten years later MoPo has less members now than it did then (not that there is anything wrong with that, if that is what you want, an intimate group of old-timers). But without new blood, you eventually get a feeling that "everything" has been said, and the forum grows slower and slower (except of course for endless "For Sale" and "For Auction" posts!).

But if you want to keep growing, you need to TRADE links with dealers and auctions, and NOT give links to those who won't reciprocate. That way, lots and lots of new collectors will see the links all over the web, and many will check it out, and if they are not treated badly, they will stay, and the forum can grow exponentially.

But is is for Thierry and Holiday to decide.

Bruce

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 05:05:12 PM »
Good idea Adam.. but i can see Bruce's point, too, which make a lot of sense. Trading links with those who reciprocate back will generate that interest and keep the forum growing with potential new members and dive business, as well.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 05:08:48 PM »
But is is for Thierry and Holiday to decide.

Bruce

That's right, Bruce.
I hope T & Holiday have a think about it at least.

MPF is pretty much dead in terms of participation for whatever reason - I still go over there - and MoPo essentially is for the veterans (unfortunately at times ignoring new members).

Yes, Jeff, link exchange is the way forward - this is what I meant.

APF has clear potential to grow and grow just like Bruce said.
I know the intentions of T & Holiday are to keep the forum commercial free, which is fine, but a link exchange system would truly work in increasing exposure of this place.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 11:13:45 PM »
I see this cart steering toward the path that ended moviepostertalk , I would give a loud hell no myself.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:33:26 AM »
Doing what Bruce said would surely be the way forward IMO.
It's proven that link exchange helps increase traffic to websites.

A dedicated section could be one that is closed to comments by all members.
Those only able to post could be Holiday & T (and possibly the moderators) so that they could add or take away links.

It's just an idea to build the forum; one that is up to T & Holiday, and if they don't wish to go with it, then no problem, but I feel it would be a missed opportunity.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 12:24:23 PM »
I would be willing to put together a website to accomplish this goal. Like Bruce said, only those dealers who are willing to link back would get a link to their site. Link all of the forums and dealers, willing to participate. No fees involved, just free advertisement for those who are willing at my cost.

Cj

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 12:59:23 PM »
Hey Cj,

I'm actually very, very surprised the likes of T & Holiday have not replied to this section whilst participating in various discussions throughout the forum. Given they are the guys who rule the roost, I would have thought the basis of my initial post, and those by NeoLoco, Jeff & Bruce, is one of benefit to the forum as a whole. Alas, maybe it is because I created the topic and not someone else... Read into that what you will.

If you do create the website you mention, you would have to get the name right.
Try a few, and then do it! I'm pretty sure if you did all the behind the scenes work well enough your site would shoot to the top of Google etc, and a whole host of people would be willing to take part.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:06 AM »
the day this forum opened i asked if i could exchange links, although i dont think they want links plastered all over the place i would have still liked T to get off his ass and get a banner created so i can link to this forum..

over a year on...

still waiting..

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 02:02:52 PM »
Yeah, how's this dump ever gonna get any new blood without links?
It's becoming a stagnant pool of hog waller...
 wynk

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 08:39:34 PM »
As a recent joinee (word), I have to say that I joined this community largely with the hope of finding posters I was having great difficulty acquiring. I learned a lot here, this community has been invaluable to my collecting, but the main reason I came here was still to find posters I wanted to buy. In the Wanted forum, there are a number of threads I started that have turned up some conversation but no actual results. Finding dealers and people willing to sell posters is very difficult.

Because let's face it, most people here are collecting, not selling. Everybody is looking for things, not trying to get rid of them. A links section would be a way to expand on what I feel is a weak section of this community. Of course there are a number of big dealers here, but I can't tell you how many hours I've spent clicking through pages and pages of Google results trying to find some obscure poster website that will have what I want.

A links section, even if I never found what I wanted, would save me so much time.

Bruce

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 08:57:58 PM »
Disheveled

I certainly hope you have set up Want Lists on our site for those posters you want. It is a one-time thing, and once you do it, you will get e-mailed if we EVER get that item (of course then you will still have to win it, but at least you are on an even ground with everyone else).

Bruce

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 09:06:01 PM »
Disheveled

I certainly hope you have set up Want Lists on our site for those posters you want. It is a one-time thing, and once you do it, you will get e-mailed if we EVER get that item (of course then you will still have to win it, but at least you are on an even ground with everyone else).

Bruce

I actually haven't set one up yet, I didn't realize that was how it worked. I do however check eMovie every day compulsively hoping for one of my two big ones. (UK Raiders and AUS Empire Strikes Back).

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »
Well, unfortunately, still no reply by the forum owners.
Baffled. Give up. So much for trying to help the forum grow.  :-\
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 09:02:45 PM »
I see this cart steering toward the path that ended moviepostertalk , I would give a loud hell no myself.

I agree...

Well, unfortunately, still no reply by the forum owners.
Baffled. Give up. So much for trying to help the forum grow.  :-\

Sometimes, silence is itself an answer...

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »
What's the point in NOT trying to promote the forum to let it grow?  :-\
Like Ted said, this place is pretty stagnant in terms of new members.

This is a suggestion thread - surely a suggestion thread is an area that requires the response from the forum owners? Right?
People wish to promote this place, but aren't getting the support from them. Why?

I know most people here hate Andy on MPF, for whatever reason, but he has proven reciprocated linking works.
And he gets new members daily. I have spoken directly to a few of them on more than occasion, so whether or not he makes up some of them (an accusation made by a few) - I don't know, but one thing's for sure, he doesn't make up all of them.

It would be decent of Thierry and Holiday to at least reply to suggestions and state their opinions.
Like Jonny said, how long does it take to create a banner link?
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 11:14:51 AM »
And he gets new members daily

Shame they don't post.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 11:31:29 AM »
Shame they don't post.

Well, I went there first.  Only came here because Mel sent me a PM.  It wasn't the links though.  I found MPF through a Google search.  APF did not show up in that search.

One last thing.  I was initially rejected and had to beg to gain admission here.  Took a couple of days.  I know you are trying to keep out the bots, but I think you are telling legitimate members to go away as well.
-Jay-

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 11:45:10 AM »
Well, I went there first.  Only came here because Mel sent me a PM.  It wasn't the links though.  I found MPF through a Google search.  APF did not show up in that search.

Same story here except I got the APF link cause I bought from Dale and he had it in his confirmation email.

I think I only posted once or twice there. See how lucky you all are?

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 12:05:51 PM »

Can someone explain this to those of us that have no clue

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 01:12:42 PM »
Can someone explain this to those of us that have no clue

I second that motion.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 01:49:22 PM »
Third that.

I am not really understanding it either. The only thing that comes to mind is that it might be to keep this site dealer beholden/sponser free?

Okay. I really have no clue  8)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 02:06:53 PM »
This is a suggestion thread - surely a suggestion thread is an area that requires the response from the forum owners? Right?

laugh1  You are exercising your freedom of speech and they are exercising their freedom to choose to not respond.  ;)  IMO it's mighty cool of Holiday and Thierry to allow this thread, and also that people are comfortable enough to challenge what they want in this forum.  One of the main reasons they likely wanted to start this forum was that people wouldn't be telling them how they run it, and having dealers with their links might lead to a bunch of senseless bickering over how it is run.  IMO they have summed it up nicely in the past, that they like people here but if people have issues with how it is run, then they can take a hike.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 02:36:08 PM »
I fail to see how any links section will increase traffic to the forum,most of the topic headings are already here within the forum,with the exception of memorabilia..if this forum starts to turn into a James Bond Keyring discussion..im moving on elsewhere..

When i click your link to Bondposters Adam,its a major dissapointment and does nothing to enhance my knowledge of posters in any way..all your website is,is a showcase of Bond posters,i can get that information thru google.

A forum is a forum,,not a desire to increase revenue,,i think this forum will grow at its own pace,there is no desire to be the coolest kid on the block like yesterday.. IMO

Stew