Author Topic: Sellotape removal from posters  (Read 47077 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Sellotape removal from posters
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2015, 05:26:55 PM »
my opinion: just frame them as is unless you can easily do the work.

I suggested to a customer last week asking about getting a poster restored/backed "why don't you just wait to find a nicer copy?"
he liked that suggestion

Not sure there is an easy one size fits all answer.  I bought a half sheet a few weeks ago that sold for $100 less than the recent examples because of 2 snipes.  I knew this going in and gambled that the snipes would come off (one is really obnoxious).  The small one was some sort of plastic tape and peeled right off.  Residue went away with bestine.  The big one appears to be a wheat paste glue.  It is coming loose, but I am going slow to avoid damaging the poster.

It makes no sense if I value my time at $100/hr professional rate, but plenty at a time available hobby rate.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2015, 12:40:40 AM »
I bought some lighter fluid tonight, and am excited to give this tape removal process a go!

More to follow.

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2015, 12:44:01 AM »
lighter fluid is good, but also naptha, or rubber cement thinner (always my choice)

keep in mind, that the petroleum qualities of the liquids take longer to evaporate than the fluid qualities, so wait a while for that to dissapate

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2015, 12:52:28 AM »
lighter fluid is good, but also naptha, or rubber cement thinner (always my choice)

keep in mind, that the petroleum qualities of the liquids take longer to evaporate than the fluid qualities, so wait a while for that to dissapate

Thanks, Rich, as always.

I will take it slow and steady. (and it's the same brand of lighter fluid that Paul W shows and used in his earlier pics, so it must be the cat's meow!)  cool1
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:07:45 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2015, 05:45:57 AM »
Some forms of naphtha contain benzene a carcinogen

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2015, 02:34:43 PM »

Didnt know that.

Thanks, Steve.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2015, 03:37:47 PM »

everything has carcinogens.. including all that Monsanto shit we wind up eating...

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2015, 03:33:50 PM »
my opinion: just frame them as is unless you can easily do the work.

Misread that, Rich. My bad.  Doh.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2017, 12:37:19 AM »

keep in mind, that the petroleum qualities of the liquids take longer to evaporate than the fluid qualities, so wait a while for that to dissipate.

Rich, will lighter fluid also work the same on lifting tape from a glossy magazine cover? I have a mag (a duplicate copy) that has some scotch tape (it's not the older, sello tape) along the spine. The tape hasn't discolored and I'd like to try and remove it, if possible.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:38:53 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »
Rich, will lighter fluid also work the same on lifting tape from a glossy magazine cover? I have a mag (a duplicate copy) that has some scotch tape (it's not the older, sello tape) along the spine. The tape hasn't discolored and I'd like to try and remove it, if possible.

yes, but keep in mind that all such fluids have different chemicals in them, some good or bad for different purposes. lighter fluid probably has an agent that controls the burn to prevent explosions or to reduce gasses, while benzene is a strong solvent. You need to find the happy medium of which solution (fluid) may be least caustic or neutral post-use. Rubber cement thinner is clearly to be used on paper for the removal of glue as a specific task

-------

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2018, 06:00:44 AM »
i hope to have time to remove some cellotape from paper over xmas
i am guessing the lighter fluid i buy is what you buy to fill zippo lighters?
are all brands the same, do i have to avoid any?
the paper is a fifties trade ad (magazine paper) and a sixties italian 2piece - don't know if this is important/relevant
i live in a small flat - will it stink place out? too cold to open windows ;D
do i need to wear rubber gloves?

or should i buy a product that is sold as a tape remover?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2018, 08:25:50 AM »
Ive been using lighter fluid (it wasnt Zippo, but another brand name, that comes in a bottle type to refill lighters) and it has worked great. I used in on a page from an 1846 atlas that had been taped to a mat, as well as on 1920s and '30s post cards (both smooth and linen texture finish cards), and it has worked like a champ.

Ive put a small amount in a shot glass then used a small brush or cotton swap to dab it on the areas, letting it soak into the tpae residue and paper. Then carefully and slowly removing the tape with a pair of tweezers.

Ive sometimes done a a 2nd application to remove any remaining glue residue, which can turn sticky if its that old kind of clear, cello tape.

And it wont stink you out of your flat.  ;D It also evaporates quickly, so i had to add to my shot glass (it was maybe 1/3  or less full). The smell isnt that strong to begin with ---  benzene, though, has a much stronger smell, so you might want to crack a window for air circulation, if you use that, instead.

-Jeff

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2018, 12:20:47 PM »
thanks thumbup

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »
Erik, a question. Does the lighter fluid leave the paper wrinkled? I've always thought any liquid will leave the paper with wrinkles; like  a poster that has been rained on and is warped and wrinkled.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2018, 06:10:21 PM »
Erik, a question. Does the lighter fluid leave the paper wrinkled? I've always thought any liquid will leave the paper with wrinkles; like  a poster that has been rained on and is warped and wrinkled.

No..it dries so fast (evaporates) that unlike water which takes longer to dry, doesnt cause wrinkles, warping or any other marks or rings (like water can also do).

It works great. And the smell dissipates and is gone as soon as the fluid has evaporated. So a win-win situation. ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:43:11 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2018, 06:46:28 PM »
i hope to have time to remove some cellotape from paper over xmas
i am guessing the lighter fluid i buy is what you buy to fill zippo lighters?
are all brands the same, do i have to avoid any?
the paper is a fifties trade ad (magazine paper) and a sixties italian 2piece - don't know if this is important/relevant
i live in a small flat - will it stink place out? too cold to open windows ;D
do i need to wear rubber gloves?

or should i buy a product that is sold as a tape remover?

I've removed tape until I was blue in the face.  Lighter fluid has that lighter fluid smell.  If you are not in Canada or California or other carcinogen state, use Bestine the smell never stays. You can leave the lid off of the Bestine container and it will evaporate before you ever smell it.  The only time I ever had any worries about the strength of Bestine was when I basically removed an entire US OS from foam core.  I was essentially pouring and painting Bestine at the intersection of the lifted poster and the foam core for about 15 minutes.  Probably shorten my life by a few minutes on that adventure.

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2018, 07:00:09 AM »
I've removed tape until I was blue in the face.  Lighter fluid has that lighter fluid smell.  If you are not in Canada or California or other carcinogen state, use Bestine the smell never stays. You can leave the lid off of the Bestine container and it will evaporate before you ever smell it.  The only time I ever had any worries about the strength of Bestine was when I basically removed an entire US OS from foam core.  I was essentially pouring and painting Bestine at the intersection of the lifted poster and the foam core for about 15 minutes.  Probably shorten my life by a few minutes on that adventure.

thanks. i don't like the "vapour can cause flash-fires" "vapour harmful" i just read on pictures of Bestine tins ;D
think i'll  just buy lighter fluid from my corner shop later today. for some reason i had it in my head my room would be full of petrol smell/fumes.
and like cabmangray said, i was worried about wrinkling too