Author Topic: The Big Lebowski - NYTimes - "Dissertations on His Dudeness"  (Read 5147 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

The Big Lebowski - NYTimes - "Dissertations on His Dudeness"
« on: December 30, 2009, 11:45:46 PM »
The New York Times today has a cool article "Dissertations on His Dudeness" about the Big Lebowski cult.  The movie has inspired three books:

- “The Dude Abides: The Gospel According to the Coen Brothers”
- “The Tao of the Dude”
- "The Year’s Work in Lebowski Studies"  (In one essay a professor compares the Dude to Rip van Winkle for his “friendly charisma” and for his “insuperable aversion to all kinds of profitable labor.”])

Excerpts from the article:

Joel and Ethan Coen’s 1998 movie, “The Big Lebowski,” which stars Jeff Bridges as a beatific, pot-smoking, bowling-obsessed slacker known as the Dude, snuck up on the English-speaking world during the ’00s: it became, stealthily, the decade’s most venerated cult film. It’s got that elusive and addictive quality that a great midnight movie has to have: it blissfully widens and expands in your mind upon repeat viewings.

The Big Lebowski exposes “the sickness of a straight society premised on the Puritan work ethic.”

If the phrases “Nice marmot,” or “You’re entering a world of pain,” or “I can get you a toe” mean anything to you, then “Lebowski” has entered your private sectarian world.

"[The Dude] doesn’t stand for what everybody thinks he should stand for, but he has his values. He just does it. He lives in a very disjointed society, but he’s gonna take things as they come, he’s gonna care about his friends, he’s gonna go to somebody’s recital, and that’s it. That’s how you respond.”

Anybody have any cool Big Lebowski stories?  Anybody gone to the LebowskiFest?

I've got a DS one sheet and an Italian 4 sheet. Anybody have any other treasured BL posters?

P.S. I also have an excellent-quality digital reproduction of the US one sheet if anybody wants it for free (plus actual postage) - I think I paid $25 for it a while back.  (See attached pic).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 11:58:01 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »