Author Topic: Anyone's seen AVATAR yet?  (Read 18995 times)

Carson

Re: Anyone's seen AVATAR yet?
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 02:06:07 AM »
Loved it. If you're looking for fun, it's the funnest. If you're looking for depth of character, unique plot, original story line, then no, of course not. That's not what Avatar is.

Based on my viewing I'd say Avatar is a viscerally brilliant, endlessly creative, technical showcase meant to amuse the masses. It's not Memento. I found it a brilliant 3D amusement park ride. I saw it in IMAX 3D Digital as well as RealD 3D.

Is it a "good movie"? In context of what it is it's the best to date. But if you're looking for a movie that meets all criteria of a truly "great film" (e.g. Citizen Kane, Pianist, Gone with the Wind, Raiders) of course not. Not even close. Two completely different types of movie experience.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 02:16:28 AM by Carson »

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
Loved it. If you're looking for fun, it's the funnest. If you're looking for depth of character, unique plot, original story line, then no, of course not. That's not what Avatar is.

Based on my viewing I'd say Avatar is a viscerally brilliant, endlessly creative, technical showcase meant to amuse the masses. It's not Memento. I found it a brilliant 3D amusement park ride. I saw it in IMAX 3D Digital as well as RealD 3D.

Is it a "good movie"? In context of what it is it's the best to date. But if you're looking for a movie that meets all criteria of a truly "great film" (e.g. Citizen Kane, Pianist, Gone with the Wind, Raiders) of course not. Not even close. Two completely different types of movie experience.

What was better to see it in, Imax or RealD 3D?

Chad

guest8

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 12:51:07 PM »
I wonder if there is a difference (3D wise) from a fake IMAX 3D (an over sized digital screen) and a RealD 3D (all digital 3D) .. Not knowing anything about the technical side of it all Id say that IMAX 3D would be better jsut because the screen is larger .. :???

Carson

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »
There are two types of IMAX 3D.

IMAX 3D Digital (also called miniMAX) is new. IMAX Digital rolled out in 2008 so it's tougher to find these showings. IMAX Digital can project 3D and non-3D content of course; it uses two Christie projectors which use a combination of Texas Instruments DLP chips and IMAX's own proprietary tech.

IMAX 3D Film (original IMAX standard using 15 sprocket 70mm film) has been around for a while so most seeing Avatar in IMAX 3D are seeing it in 70mm film.

And of course you can see Avatar in RealD 3D, Dolby 3D or traditional 35mm film all on conventional sized screens for those who don't care about the directors intent. 5 different options; pretty hilarious.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 09:09:39 PM »
Did you find yourself noticing much of a difference between the two Carson?

Chad

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2009, 10:55:23 PM »
yeah, which one is best?
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Carson

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 06:50:03 PM »
My order of personal preference for Avatar is:

1. IMAX 3D Film
2. RealD 3D
3. IMAX 3D Digital

That is my order of preference for, Avatar, specifically. Different movies present better in different mediums and different screen sizes. In the case of Avatar I prefer the immersiveness of the 70mm film shown on traditional 72(wide) x 52 (high) IMAX screens ahead of any 3D concerns or slighty crisper clarity of digital showings.

If you're a 3D purist in search of the best three dimensional depth of field, screen size be damned, absolutely see the RealD 3D showing on a conventional sized screen. If you don't like to move your neck to watch a movie, can't enjoy the humongous 72 x 52 IMAX screen, or don't like digitally shot movies blown-up to 70mm film then see the much smaller IMAX 3D Digital showing. If you're in L.A. you can also sample the XpanD 3D system at the Arclight Cinerama Dome.

As mentioned there is also Dolby 3D, Standard Digital and of course 35mm film; all of which I'd avoid. As always the variables that contribute to great screening are endless including a knowledgeable projectionist and a good bulb. If you go to see a RealD 3D showing of Avatar and a 20 year old projectionist is more concerned with texting his buttbuddy about Lady GaGa's new album than your movie then all bets are off.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 09:25:53 PM by Carson »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2010, 05:46:07 AM »
Where would you recommend in the DFW area?
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Carson

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 04:17:43 PM »
There is one theater and one theater only for your departure from DFW to Pandora. While you're home, and Chad as well, head south to 635 (LBJ) and exit Webb Chapel for the Cinemark IMAX Theatre at Cinemark 17. This is the only authentic 70mm IMAX 3D Film showing of Avatar in all of DFW.

Any other IMAX you see advertised in our area are the new, much smaller IMAX digital theaters in which IMAX corp recently (2008) signed a deal with AMC and Regal theaters to retrofit a number of pre-existing theaters with just slightly larger than normal screens and digital projectors to cut costs. The concern is IMAX corp. is knowingly omitting the fact the screens are smaller in hope movie goers will assume it's the traditional 72 x 52 IMAX. You can read about the controversy here.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:41:36 PM by Carson »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2010, 12:45:59 AM »
Thats what I was thinking Carson, Webb Chapel and 635.......thanks for the conformation, and I will most definitely be checking it out!

Schan
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2010, 08:48:34 PM »
yeah, Carson, that's the place I saw The Dark Knight in. I figured it would be the best to watch it but I was just curious to hear from you if you could really tell that much of a difference between that medium and the other 3D mediums. Working in the industry I figured I would notice it more than most people probably would, just because they are usually not looking for stuff like that when viewing movies.

Chad