Author Topic: Empire Strikes Back Daybill/One Sheet  (Read 13051 times)

Disheveledamethyst

Empire Strikes Back Daybill/One Sheet
« on: March 07, 2011, 12:53:07 AM »
I know the favorite is the "Gone With the Wind" style but between you, me, and the lamp post I think Luke on the Ton Ton obstructs the romantic image of Han and Leia. I mean, don't get me wrong, the artwork is beautiful but I can't get past that stupid Ton Ton...

The one I prefer is this one:

I've sort of been developing an appreciation for Australian Daybills because I find them more affordable much easier to display, so I'm looking for that one specifically. (Moviemem had/has(?) a linen backed one, but I'd really prefer one in clean and original condition.) I also wouldn't say no to a 1-Sheet if I could afford it.

I know this hobby was kind of started because of Star Wars posters and so I feel there must be some website or collector who has one. I have a feeling this would be the most expensive poster I ever bought, but most of the sold out ones I've found on various websites I'm familiar with place both the daybill and the one sheet around $200.

Any advice or help? Or anybody have one?

EDIT: Some deeper googling has turned up a couple of others... Maybe the $200 ones were sold out for a reason, hm?
Double Edit: Have I been mistaken the whole time and this poster is actually the GWTW style?

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
Re: Empire Strikes Back Daybill/One Sheet
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 06:04:22 AM »
i think there is 1 on ebay.au....?

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:26:41 AM »
i think there is 1 on ebay.au....?

There are a number of the A and B styles, but I didn't see any of this one.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »
Not GWTW, your first assumption is correct.  It is a Japanese design, by the artist Ohrai.

There is a thread or discussion about this poster somewhere around here, the consensus was that the Aussie one sheet size is more desirable than this daybill size...but both would be dandy to have.

I like it, but something about the Millennium Falcon always bothered me in this one...don't like the diagonal side view, but just nitpicking here.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:44:14 PM »
I believe it's spelt Tauntaun  ;)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 01:13:46 PM »
You're a TaunTaun!

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 02:06:52 PM »
Go for the one-sheet over the daybill. It is sure to continue to rise, so better to find it sooner than later (but of course don't go crazy). It is already extremely hard to find.

Bruce

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 07:08:10 PM »
Not GWTW, your first assumption is correct.  It is a Japanese design, by the artist Ohrai.

There is a thread or discussion about this poster somewhere around here, the consensus was that the Aussie one sheet size is more desirable than this daybill size...but both would be dandy to have.

Really?  In general, that may be true, but for the Ohrai ESB I much prefer the daybill because the title on the one-sheet covers up the artwork on the bottom.

It also makes far more sense for a person on a budget, unless you come across a miracle of a deal on a one-sheet.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 07:12:26 PM »
Really?  In general, that may be true, but for the Ohrai ESB I much prefer the daybill because the title on the one-sheet covers up the artwork on the bottom.

It also makes far more sense for a person on a budget, unless you come across a miracle of a deal on a one-sheet.

My thoughts exactly.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »
Well, since the Australians stole the Japanese design by Ohrai, the Japanese version is the one you need to get.

Here's a picture of my B1.

And screw the daybill.  It's waaaay too small.  (Sorry, I can't stand daybills, or locandinas, or freakin' Belgium posters - Next time, they'll use stamps.)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 07:49:13 PM »
Well, since the Australians stole the Japanese design by Ohrai, the Japanese version is the one you need to get.

Here's a picture of my B1.

And screw the daybill.  It's waaaay too small.  (Sorry, I can't stand daybills, or locandinas, or freakin' Belgium posters - Next time, they'll use stamps.)

T

Thus presents a dilemma.

Do I buy the Japanese poster and be true to the artist?
Or do I buy the Australian poster with words I can read?

One of the biggest turn offs for me with foreign posters is that I can't read the text. While the artwork is truly beautiful, I like to be able to see the credit block and the release date. It makes the poster feel more commemorative. Seeing the date the movie was released in theatres and the people who worked on it makes the poster feel a little deeper than just the artwork, it pays respect to the people behind it.

I'm just repeating myself because I'm really tired and don't know how to explain what I want to say, but you get it.

So the Australian version with the Japanese artwork gives me the beautiful artwork and the posterity of the production.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »

I blame Ari...

Size-wise, daybills and inserts are as small as I go.  Having this particular daybill, I can say that it is stunning and the metallic ink reallly pops!

If a reasonably priced B1 or B2 showed up, then I'd more than consider it as an alternative.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 07:57:34 PM »
One of the biggest turn offs for me with foreign posters is that I can't read the text.

That will change as you get deeper and deeper into the movie poster collecting world.  I'd say that 95% of the time, foreign artwork is much better than US artwork (by far).  I would also go as far as saying that foreign artists, more specifically Italian, French and Japanese, blow US artists out of the water.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 08:04:03 PM »
That will change as you get deeper and deeper into the movie poster collecting world.  I'd say that 95% of the time, foreign artwork is much better than US artwork (by far).  I would also go as far as saying that foreign artists, more specifically Italian, French and Japanese, blow US artists out of the water.

T

I already agree with you. There's a Return of the King poster I recently saw artwork for that immediately sent me searching.

I think it's Japanese? I'm pretty lousy at determining eastern languages outside of Europe.

I guess in this case, I would want this poster without restraint. But if there were an English version with the same artwork (like this Empire poster) I would opt for the English one instead.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 09:22:46 PM »

T

Shut up and stick with your Thierry hates "French Grande"s ;)
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 09:24:10 PM »
And Anthony, Aussie paper is the way to go - unless, of course, I am bidding too (in that case you must defer to your elders ;) )
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 09:31:40 PM »
daybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are great
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 09:32:38 PM »
And Anthony, Aussie paper is the way to go - unless, of course, I am bidding too (in that case you must defer to your elders ;) )

Absolutely, mister sir!

I of course being a respectful young lad immediately withdraw all bids and inquiries when an established elder is interested in the same item I am. :P

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »
Absolutely, mister sir!

I of course being a respectful young lad immediately withdraw all bids and inquiries when an established elder is interested in the same item I am. :P

I am glad we have reached a peaceful understanding...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 09:44:32 PM »
daybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are greatdaybills are great

The mantra of a true poster collector!
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 09:59:02 PM »
Daybills sounds a little like débile, which in French means:

Adjective

débile (epicene, plural débiles)

1. dumb, stupid

Case closed.

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 09:59:55 PM »
Judge for yourself (images proportional to actual size (showing Japan B2):

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 10:07:56 PM »
If choosing between a daybill and a 1-sheet, of course I would take the 1-sheet. But if choosing between $200 and $1,000, of course I choose $200...

I'd kill a drifter for the one sheet. Even though I'm not sure how it would get me one.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 10:10:52 PM »
If choosing between a daybill and a 1-sheet, of course I would take the 1-sheet. But if choosing between $200 and $1,000, of course I choose $200...

I'd kill a drifter for the one sheet. Even though I'm not sure how it would get me one.

The one sheet can be found occasionally in the $350 ish range.

Ok I am biased, but the only "lacking" part of the daybill is that Boba Fett is cut off - but I will concede that is probably a huge problem for many fanboys.
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 10:17:24 PM »
Daybills sounds a little like débile, which in French means:

Adjective

débile (epicene, plural débiles)

1. dumb, stupid

Case closed.

T

I, for one, am confident in the stature and girth of my manhood and thus do not need to overcompensate by collecting larger, "superior" paper.
Chris