Author Topic: Polyethylene Poster Sleeves from Bags Unlimited  (Read 34828 times)

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
Polyethylene Poster Sleeves from Bags Unlimited
« on: February 26, 2011, 02:54:49 PM »
I did this writeup about 2 years ago and posted on MPF. I figure some of the new faces that are here on APF might appreciate it.

Polyethylene Poster Sleeves from Bags Unlimited

I recently purchased a slew of Polyethylene Poster sleeves from Bags unlimited. I purchased 200 - 4 mil One Sheet sleeves, 50 - 4 mil British Quad sleeves, 50 Japanese B2 - 3 mil sleeves and 10 - 3 mil 3 sheet poster sleeves. I ordered a few other things as well and the total came to around $560.00. However I contacted them and because my order met whole sale pricing requirements it was dropped to around $460.00 and that?s shipping included. To get the price break you need to be $500.00 or over and contact them by telephone or email to place your order.

One sheet 4 mil Polyethylene sleeves & British Quad 4 mil Polyethylene sleeves: the clarity is slightly milky. They are not crystal clear. 4 mil is plenty thick enough to protect your posters. I know that they sell a 1.5 mil Polypropylene bag that is crystal clear. I would think that the1.5 mil is slightly too thin based on how the 3 mils feel. So I decided at the time of order to go as thick as possible and sacrifice the clarity. Really, they are only in the sleeves to be protected and stored, I do not intend to display them in the sleeves. It made more sense to sacrifice clarity over thickness. I found that with my folded one sheets that have been stored folded work out well with these sleeves. You are able to slide them in nicely and they seem to flatten out very well. Same goes with the posters that have been loosely rolled. Having that extra weight on top the poster helps with the flattening process. I will however recommend any posters you have that have been rolled in a 2" roll and stored that way for a long period of time to flatten them outside of the sleeves before trying to slide them in. What happens is the memory in the paper wants to recall that 2" inch roll and it is hell trying to get it into the sleeve. You are more likely to damage your poster if it is not flattened to a certain degree beforehand. Storing my posters in these sleeves went along the lines of putting my more valued posters in the sleeves by themselves as singles. For the posters I do not value as much I went ahead and doubled them up. I think realistically you could put as many as 4 in each bag and still make out fine but I opted for 2. Even though I don't value them as much, i went ahead and protected them anyway. I did not put any backings in any of them since they are stored flat in a flat file cabinet. The problem is that I noticed with the sleeves it cuts down the space in the drawers by at least 60%.

Japanese B2 - 3mil Polyethylene sleeves: These are very similar as the 4 mils. Obviously they are slightly thinner but still thick enough to offer the protection that is needed. The clarity is the same. The amount of space inside the bag is just enough to where the poster slides in easily.

Three sheet 3 mil Polyethylene Sleeves: For some reason with these they seem much thinner than the B2 3 mils. Maybe it is because the amount of space in between the edges that has something to do with it. The clarity is the same - milky. I use these to store my larger posters prior to rolling them and placing them in a 4" tube/

They say with the polyethylene sleeves that "they are used worldwide in museums, libraries and schools for its archival, acid-free & "breathing" properties. With the Polypropylene sleeves they are bio-oriented (BOPP) which means that it is as clear as glass and will not ripple, dimple or pucker over time as some polypropylene materials do. Both our polyethylene and polypropylene have passed the Photo Activity Test (P.A.T.) which certifies that they are safe for long-term storage."

One sheet sleeve size: 27 5/8" x 42"
British Quad sleeve size: 30" x 42"
Japanese B2 sleeve size: 20 1/2" x 31"
Three sheet sleeve size: 41 5/8" x 84"

In a nutshell, I am happy with this purchase. I think it offers great protection for my posters and the pricing is not all that bad (IMO). With regards to thickness, I do not think I would want to go below 3 mil. I would think that the 2 mils would be slightly to thin especially with the one sheet size. Seeing how thin the 3 mil felt with the three sheet compared to the 3 mil with the Jp B2. I would much rather spend a few dollars more and go with the thicker sleeves.

Since it has been 2 years since I did this review, I figure I would do a quick update. I am glad I bought the sleeves. It makes removing my posters from the flat file so much easier and have to worry less about damage to my posters. I especially like storing my art prints in the Quad size sleeves. I put 2 prints back to back in each sleeve. I can pull 5-8 sleeves out at a time and not worry one bit about damaging them in anyway. The sleeves make a huge difference in protecting the posters. 

Cj

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Polyethylene Poster Sleeves from Bags Unlimited
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:10:19 PM »
I have the 2 mil Polyethylene sleeves from them and they work well.  The measurements are accurate and they are a good product.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 01:47:45 AM »
Didnt even know they have 3sh sleeves...no locandina sleeves ?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 12:58:19 PM »
I use these:

Insert Poster Sleeve 14-3/8 x 38   2 mil POLYETHYLENE

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3683-insert-poster-sleeve.aspx

Coupled with these:

BACKINGS for Insert Posters  14-1/8 x 36. .028 thick Acid Free Board.  Long Term Storage.

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5538-backings-for-insert-posters-nbsp-nobr1418-x-36nobr.aspx

There is no daybill specific size but the insert size works well - I just trim about 3 inches or so from the bag and backing board.  I use both sides of the backing board (i.e. two daybills per poly bag).  I then stack them in a pile inside a safe plastic container and the weight/pressure works to gradually flatten them and remove the fold lines.

Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 11:46:07 AM »
Great thread CJ.... Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I took the plunge and bought 25 of the B2 20 1/4 x 29 size sleeves and .028 boards plus some Belgian/French small size sleeves to check them out.

They arrived yesterday and I wasted no time putting them to use. I like them. They are just what I was looking for. Much better way to store my posters since I dont have a cabinet and I was using the box method.

I will be grabbing a bigger size for my German/ Danish posters and ofcourse some for my one sheets.

Cant see it in the pic below but you can easily put a poster on either side of the board. I put them against the wall but the thickness of the board I bought isnt really good for standing the posters. Not that that is the purpose  :P

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 01:01:50 PM »
Looking good Zorba...glad we could help
Chris

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 01:06:24 PM »
Yep, those look good.

I have both poly and mylar.  While mylar doesn't really need boards, I feel that poly does, if you want to take them out now and again to show friends and such.

Bags Unlimited bags are good deals, but the boards are pretty expensive.  Anyone know of cheaper options?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 03:22:50 PM »
Any decent, acid-free backing board of poster size is going to be expensive.  The only other place I know of that sells them is Bill Cole

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 02:50:47 PM »
Just got in some larger boards and sleeves for these europeans... Now to start on the US one sheets and the Danes. These things are making me happy but I really need to get a frame for Iwo Jima.

raulleaf

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 09:51:36 PM »
If you are worried about $$$$ Uline.com has archival poly bags on the cheap!

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-3985/Poly-Bags-Flat-Open/30-x-42-4-Mil-Industrial-Poly-Bags

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 01:17:53 PM »
Sorry to bring an older thread back.
But can we store the posters upright (if it had a thicker backing)? or with mylar?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 04:28:54 PM »
Sorry to bring an older thread back.
But can we store the posters upright (if it had a thicker backing)? or with mylar?

For upright storage I would definitely invest in the thickest boards you could find (acid free of course). You also need to be aware of the fact that over time the poster will move down in the sleeve and start to curl at the base of the board or under the board, depending on how thick the board is. I wouldn't store vertically just out of fear of potential damage, but maybe you can make it work.

Mylar is rigid enough for excellent flat storage, but not rigid enough for holding up its own weight in a vertical manner.

I was mistaken,

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 09:07:32 PM »
Is there any difference between the poly bags from Bagsunlimited and Uline??

Because Uline is in Canada too. So if the bags check out (archival safe) I will get it from them.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 03:36:52 PM »
I am going to be purchasing some poly bags, I want them crystal clear. Or is mylar better for that?

How are the 2Mil bags or stick with 4mil just for protection? But I am adding a foam board, so should I be okay with 2mil, can they handle a 1/8" foam board in the sleeve as well?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:16:32 PM by bigmike »

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 12:40:56 PM »
Wonka, will the mylar hold up vertically if I use it with the .028 backing board? Or will the poster try and slip down?

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 12:41:57 PM by bigmike »

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 04:21:07 PM »
Hey Cj, a belated thanks for the post - I just ordered a load of bags from bags unlimited and they've shipped today. The shipping was pretty high as I'm in the UK and I'm bound to get hit by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, but it still works out cheaper than places over here. I went for a mix of 4 mil and 2 mil sleeves...fingers crossed I'm pleased with them when they arrive!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 08:28:44 PM »
Picked up some insert and half sheet sized sleeves, ending a nagging want/need to protect the ones that I had.

Very pleased, while not as thick as one sheet and other sizes, they work very well. I don't use a backing board, just one per sleeve and it does the trick.

I was mistaken,

Offline Sunsanvil

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 08:17:33 AM »
How tricky is it to get a folded one-sheet into a sleeve?   I have a hard enough time getting my Squad Leader pages into letter sleeves, I have to imagine it would be a chore to get a one sheet slid all the way in (without knackering it in the process)....
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:55:42 AM by Sunsanvil »

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 09:34:33 AM »
In a poly bag, pretty easy...poly bag and backing board very easy.

When you go mylar, expect a rockier road.

I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »
In a poly bag, pretty easy...poly bag and backing board very easy.

When you go mylar, expect a rockier road.

Yep...but really it's all about taking your time and paying attention!
Chris

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 01:40:31 PM »
How tricky is it to get a folded one-sheet into a sleeve?  

I use a metal scale rule to loosen the two internal sides of the pocket (it has one open side on its narrowest width) and it is fairly easy to slide a folded poster in - but rolled folded posters take a bit longer.

Mark

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 07:25:44 PM »
Dam I really need to do this.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 07:28:57 PM »
Yep, those look good.

I have both poly and mylar.  While mylar doesn't really need boards, I feel that poly does, if you want to take them out now and again to show friends and such.

Bags Unlimited bags are good deals, but the boards are pretty expensive.  Anyone know of cheaper options?

I found this as well. Haven't purchased from them, but the backings seem to be cheaper than Bagsunlimited?

http://www.hollingermetaledge.com/modules/store/index.html?dept=15&cat=738

Offline Rideauwrangler

• Beginner
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 09:54:54 AM »
Is there any difference between the poly bags from Bagsunlimited and Uline??

Because Uline is in Canada too. So if the bags check out (archival safe) I will get it from them.

Resurrecting this very old thread!

BIGMIKE; did you go forward with poly bags from Uline in Toronto? AND IF SO; did they hold the 1/8 foam core? I'm looking for a Canadian supplier and would like to know how this worked out for you? I see Uline carries 60"x60" bags, 50 per carton; thinking this might work for me since I have most Euro posters; please let me know of your experience, Cheers!

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 08:46:40 PM »
Resurrecting this very old thread!

BIGMIKE; did you go forward with poly bags from Uline in Toronto? AND IF SO; did they hold the 1/8 foam core? I'm looking for a Canadian supplier and would like to know how this worked out for you? I see Uline carries 60"x60" bags, 50 per carton; thinking this might work for me since I have most Euro posters; please let me know of your experience, Cheers!

Yes, I did go through with the purchase of the bags through Uline. However, I did not go through with the boards as they would take up a lot of space. I ended up taking them out of the bags because if you move them(without any backings), you have to be careful because they slide easily and cause dimples if they get bent.  So right now, I don't have them in the bags.

I am looking into Mylar now.
But if you get the poly bags, strongly recommend backing boards.