Author Topic: Wanted: L.A. Confidential (Rolled only)  (Read 9906 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Wanted: L.A. Confidential (Rolled only)
« on: December 26, 2009, 03:38:42 PM »
Looking to replace a reprint I have of this poster.  I'm looking to pay the auction price for this poster, depending on quality.  Heritage has sold six of these in the last two years for the following (average is $41 - all prices are the final sale price, including the infamous buyer's fee):

71 VF
48 VF-
47 VF-
35 VF+
27 VF+
21 FN/VF

This poster is plagued with reprints and video copies.  I'm looking for a true-blue original, sharp lettering, no video insignia (in the lower corner).

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
Re: Wanted: L.A. Confidential (Rolled only)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 05:03:04 PM »
You are showing an image of the video poster - Spacey wearing a white jacket - sadly all six Heritage auctions have never correctly described the poster as such. You need to find a full size 27 x 40 poster with Spacey wearing a black jacket - there are undersized reprints - this will be the original US International style. Expect to pay $100 - $200.

Mark

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 05:10:42 PM »
You are showing an image of the video poster - Spacey wearing a white jacket - sadly all six Heritage auctions have never correctly described the poster as such. You need to find a full size 27 x 40 poster with Spacey wearing a black jacket - there are undersized reprints - this will be the original US International style. Expect to pay $100 - $200.

Mark

Got this image of the black jacket from MoviePosterDB. So, just to clarify, all originals have the black jacket and all video posters have the white jacket?  That's an easy way to distinguish them!  So did Heritage actually sell video posters as originals?

Update: Cinemasterpieces is showing the white jacket as an original too - including a DS version.

Update2: LearnAboutMoviePosters appears to clarify this - probably should have checked that first.  The International LA Confidential does have the black jacket.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 06:10:05 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 05:30:52 PM »
The black jacket is the original US International so long as it is full-sized. The white jacket is a video poster. Dave is maybe describing the US Regular which comes double-sided - but showing the wrong picture!

Mark

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 05:44:31 PM »
The black jacket is the original US International so long as it is full-sized. The white jacket is a video poster. Dave is maybe describing the US Regular which comes double-sided - but showing the wrong picture!

Mark

Wow - I can't believe Heritage has been selling video posters as originals!  But it's true.  Here is a Heritage sale specifically advertised as an "international" version.  But Spacey is wearing a white jacket and the super-sized enlargement shows the "Warner Home Video" text.

UPDATE: Emovieposter got it right - this international sold for $20 a few months ago (too bad I missed that).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 06:09:04 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 10:08:22 PM »
You need to find a full size 27 x 40 poster with Spacey wearing a black jacket - there are undersized reprints....
Mark

Here's an undersized reprint with black jacket for sale.

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 05:39:32 AM »
Emovieposter didn't get it right. I was the winner of their auction - I bid because the poster appeared good value but the poster was an undersized reprint that had slipped through their net. In fact, it was partly my fault because the stated dimensions indicated it was under-sized and I didn't spot this at the time. Emovieposter gave me an immediate refund as they always do on the rare occasion something like this happens.

Mark  

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 07:18:42 AM »
"....the poster was an undersized reprint...."
Mark  

Any chance those "undersized" reprints are in fact metric-sized originals for the international market?  I've got a positively original Suburban Mayhem (from Australia) that is metric-sized - exactly 1 meter/1000mm tall, which is 39 3/8 inches tall.

My Canadian Legend of Frenchie King is also exactly 1 meter tall.

I have a bunch of IKEA frames that are 700mm (27.5") x 1000mm as well.

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 09:55:09 AM »
I don't think there is any correlation between the size of a US International one sheet from 1997 and an Australian one sheet from 2006. The original LA Confidential international style poster is 27 x 40 - the undersized one is printed by Sonis and I doubt these were intended for theatrical use.

Mark

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 10:05:38 AM »
Well, like many international one-sheets, the LA Confidential international original (black jacket) is virtually impossible to find - even Thierry doesn't have it.

It looks like I'll have to live with the video poster. 

(I believe my copy is a digital reproduction - when I first started collecting I unknowingly bought 6-7 of those and I think my LA Confidential is one of them. I'll have to check when I get back to the office.)

cinemarts

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 12:49:28 AM »
This is the Australian one sheet.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 09:37:03 PM »
This is the Australian one sheet.

Phil that's a great poster and your price ($299) is about right too, given how rare it is.  However, I ended up getting the large Italian two-sheet, although I'm not thrilled with the folds:

Mark, I emailed Heritage today and told them they were selling a video LA Confidential and they withdrew it from this week's auction.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 11:26:33 PM »
They're a bunch of idiots at Heritage when it comes to modern posters like these.  However supervises their auctions does not know what he's doing with these posters, nor does he care, relying instead on customers to weed their lawn-o-shit.

I don't know of any other seller on or off ebay that makes as many mistakes as Heritage does, yet so many defend them.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

wonka

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 11:36:13 PM »
They're a bunch of idiots at Heritage when it comes to modern posters like these.  However supervises their auctions does not know what he's doing with these posters, nor does he care, relying instead on customers to weed their lawn-o-shit.

I don't know of any other seller on or off ebay that makes as many mistakes as Heritage does, yet so many defend them.
Yep.

Mel, I wish you would consider this.

Cinemania UK

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 04:59:07 AM »
Hi

We have the UK Quad poster if anyone is interested, image attached.  It is about C8, some pinholes but otherwise a lovely item.  Need to check stock as may have 2.

Nathalie
Cinemania UK
www.cinemaniauk.net