Author Topic: How do you organize your collection?  (Read 51057 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
How do you organize your collection?
« on: February 12, 2011, 02:41:42 PM »
My drawers are almost full.  So before I expand, I thought it'd be interesting to see everyone's set up.  Collecting is fun, but it takes room.

My print drawer, officially full:

The rest of the folded stuff is crowded too - the rolled posters are in the next room (picture later).

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
Re: How do you organize your collection?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »
I like how the drawers are flush with the wall, i would like to do this but my next door neighbours might not be too impressed

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 02:46:31 PM »
Cool set up T....and great thread idea.

Im still new and looking for ideas for ways to store my crap.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 02:53:24 PM »
The thing is, I am very, VERY organized.  There is one poster on the wall inside my house, the same one for the past 6 months (French War of the Worlds), the rest is in the garage perfectly organized.  I can find anything I want within a minute or two.  Since the file cabinet is inside the wall, people see it without seeing it and don't even acknowledge it.  Coming here, you would never know that I own posters.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:17:01 PM »
Coming here, you would never know that I own posters.

T

It is shocking to me that you don't display more of that beautiful eye candy.  You could probably fit a hundred or so posters on your walls, which would leave enough room in your file cabinets for maybe an entire month or two of new purchases.  8)

Here is my humble file cabinet and I have a few rolled in the utility closet that wouldn't fit in the flat file and/or I didn't want to contaminate the ones in the flat file.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 05:44:05 PM »
How to NOT store your posters.

If it is in here and in my collection, I can find it:

If in my collection and here, forget about it (I have 3 other shelves like this):

If for sale, I can find it, store in boxes, have these shelves all over the place.

Like my parents said, do as I say, not as I do  ;D

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 05:46:19 PM »
What a nightmare, Dale, I don't know how you do it.  I'd go crazy within 5 minutes.
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »
What a nightmare, Dale, I don't know how you do it.  I'd go crazy within 5 minutes.

Pretty amazing actually considering how quickly and well he ships stuff.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 05:54:51 PM »
Oh..Er...Dale's looks more organised than mine. I could spend days looking for a certain poster. The only things organised in my collection are my Film Magazine's, Lobby's, Stills, and Autographs to an extent. Even my Dvd's and 16mm films are all over. I think size of House and space must make a difference. Though I have been in this house for 18 months, I am no where near organised.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »
I'm glad to see the all important tool of the poster collector in Dale's.. The Tape measure, mine is always at hand. ;D

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »
Pic. Please!  ;) 8)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 06:01:05 PM »
I will post some tomorrow Zorba, We were watching 22 Bullets, Yvonne has now fell asleep, so I'm finishing the Wine, while watching Monkey Business... and typing on here. wynk

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 06:02:47 PM »
What wine?  Where's the wine?
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 06:03:57 PM »
Cheers!   ;D

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 06:07:27 PM »
Surprisingly it's a Red Wine from the U.S. called Redwood Creek a cab sav, Very nice Californian.  I with you on the What's better posters, or Wine and Cheese....MMM may go and get some Cheese and Crackers. ;D

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »
Surprisingly it's a Red Wine from the U.S. called Redwood Creek a cab sav, Very nice Californian.  I with you on the What's better posters, or Wine and Cheese....MMM may go and get some Cheese and Crackers. ;D

Its gotta be Ritz..and if you like a cheeky cab sauv...chilean is the way to go...casillero del diablo cabernet sauvignon is the best..

Stew

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »
Wine and cheese will ALWAYS take over posters.

ALWAYS!
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 06:25:39 PM »
Monkey business has finished, Duck Soup now playing, only had Jacob's and hovis crackers, jolly nice though. I do prefer Australian Wine's ( Sorry T ) linderman's, Wolf blass, or Californian reds. I do have a mixture of Merlot, Cab Sav, Shiraz, Or what ever's on offer. :D

Should this be in the Drink Thread...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »
Freedonia!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 06:34:24 PM »
Chickoliny, pick a number from 1-10.

11. laugh1

Oh... need more tot.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 06:35:09 PM »
Okay, back to my freakin' thread.  I want to see your setups.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 06:39:46 PM »
I'm too embarassed to show mine... piles of tubes all over (some unopened), stacks of posters, books on some to flatten folds, old boxes from Sue's frames full of flat posters under the bed... it's a disaster at the moment.  I'm about the pull the trigger on a nice flat file so I'm hoping to catalog and photograph everything as it goes in. 

Does anyone know of a good digital solution of keep track of posters and photos?  Excel sucks, but I would like something like that to store the photos, poster name, year, director, condition, price paid, etc....  Ideally a future website would be able to access it for displaying, sorting, searching, etc....

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 06:43:13 PM »
Come on Harry, I'm posting mine tomorrow. It will be most embarrassing, but what the heck.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »
Please...if anyone is "up there"..dont let me  get to the stage where i have to choose between my sofa or my posters...please... :D

Stew

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 06:49:38 PM »
Come on Harry, I'm posting mine tomorrow. It will be most embarrassing, but what the heck.

You gonna show your ass?   ;D