Author Topic: Poster flat file cabinet - seeking your recommendations  (Read 19151 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Poster flat file cabinet - seeking your recommendations
« on: December 25, 2009, 09:51:20 AM »
To alleviate the poster chaos in my apt - see attached pic - I'm going to buy a flat file cabinet like many of you have.

Looking for recommendations, good experiences, bad experiences, etc.

Ideally - and that may not be possible - I'd like it to:

- be less than $200
- be available at a national chain (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) (mail order is definitely not preferred due to shipping costs)
- have room for 450 posters (most are 27x40, some are slightly larger (30x40 quads)
- be durable and easy to transport if/when I move

Thanks for any advice....
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 10:38:21 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online paul waines

• Curator
Re: Poster flat file cabinet - seeking your recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 11:46:55 AM »
I do store quite a lot of my posters in a plan chest. It's an A0 size so it will fit quads in with no problem. I only store clean posters in it though, as I am concerned about contamination from things like tape or marks that might transfer, so any posters that have any thing like that on I store seperatly.

The plan chests are quite large, but very sturdy. They do swallow up a vast amount of posters, and you have a large surface on the top if you need to lay anything out. I picked mine up for £60 in the U.K. from Ebay, I am sure there must be something like these in the U.S. just be patiant though, and you will get one at a reasonable price, as they can go for quite a bit of money.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 04:30:24 PM »
I highly recommend you check for a used office store in your area to start with. You will save probably 70% on what a new setup will cost.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 12:09:34 AM »
I would strongly advise you to check your local Craig's List.  Companies get rid of stuff all the time.  I got my last 2 flat files, almost brand new, for $200.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

easyenders

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 03:31:31 AM »
I do store quite a lot of my posters in a plan chest. It's an A0 size so it will fit quads in with no problem. I only store clean posters in it though, as I am concerned about contamination from things like tape or marks that might transfer, so any posters that have any thing like that on I store seperatly.

The plan chests are quite large, but very sturdy. They do swallow up a vast amount of posters, and you have a large surface on the top if you need to lay anything out. I picked mine up for £60 in the U.K. from Ebay, I am sure there must be something like these in the U.S. just be patiant though, and you will get one at a reasonable price, as they can go for quite a bit of money.

Paul, was it just a one off or are there more on there? sounds like just what I need.

will

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 08:16:09 AM »
Thanks for the advice compadres.  I had no idea these were so expensive new ($700+).

I'll try the Craigslist, used office store, and Ebay (although shipping in US is kinda prohibitive for large furniture items) options.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 11:28:57 AM »
they are brutal new.........its kind of a specialty item though, and there arent a ton of people buying these for home use.  i wish i could find one here in Japan  :-[
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 04:04:46 AM »
I am not sure about the U.S. but the U.K. site has them on all the time, though they are silly prices and usually miles away. It took me about a year to get mine. You just have to be patiant otherwise it will cost. I set myself a budget of £100, and distance of 60 miles. I ended up paying £60, and travelling 25 miles. Worth the wait. It is so good I'm on the look out for another; but there is a massive differance in quality so watch what you buy.   
It's more than a Hobby...

Postertrader

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 07:23:03 AM »
In the UK I would recommend used office furniture sellers. They often knock them out cheap because it is not one of their normal lines. I am sure they often get the plan chests when they clear out whole companies etc and they have to take everything to get the desks, chairs ect that they really want.
It is also worth lookig out for bankrupcy auctions and machinery sales. Most buyers will be there for the machinery etc and not interested in the office equipment.
I got one of mine from the local council offices for free, just had to collect it. Most companies now store files electronically and have no need for drawing storage.
It is difficult to find a bargain on Ebay these days as too many poster collectors are looking there !!

guest8

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 07:57:49 AM »
When I got mine Craigslist was the only way to go... I got two LARGE 5 drawer cabinets with the base (which iirc all together retailed for like $2,600) for $600, but given my location I had to drive down to Cincinnati to pick them up. But Now I will not have to worry about storage for a long long time .. The down fall to them is the shear amount of space they do take up.. and when they need to be moved youd better have a few strong friends over because they are not light by any means..

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 09:33:29 PM »
I hazz a flat file cabinet!  (Actually two each with five drawers)

They're not too pretty and are definitely "very used" but I got them for $300 total cost, including delivery, from a Craigslist seller.

Took me three hours to clean it out but my posters finally have a home - and I won't ruin $1000+ of posters if I step on one of the eight piles of posters that have been plaguing my apartment for a while now.

Some of the drawers have the dust covers, which should be helpful.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 09:44:24 PM »
That looks like a pretty nice cabinet Mel.

What did you use to clean it?
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 10:50:33 PM »
That looks like a pretty nice cabinet Mel.

What did you use to clean it?

It was pretty grimy so I had to use Formula 401.  I get your drift - should avoid strong chemicals.  I did a second wipe with just water to get out the chemicals.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 09:02:03 AM »
you're really making me jealous here!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

guest8

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 09:17:16 AM »
Whats the dimensions of your drawers ?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 10:49:48 AM »

43" by 33" - big enough for most poster sizes

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 03:16:54 AM »

don't you think that's a rather personal question?? I am at least trying to lose weight...

:-)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest8

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 08:35:05 AM »
LOL .. No need to lose weight .. as long as you stay somewhat healthy .. Might as well live life and enjoy yourself instead of suffering without our creature comforts like food :)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 08:50:46 AM »
don't you think that's a rather personal question?? I am at least trying to lose weight...

:-)

Pull a Seinfeld - just change the actual label size on your jeans to "31" - no one will ever know the difference (maybe....)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 02:07:39 PM »
I hazz a flat file cabinet!  (Actually two each with five drawers)

They're not too pretty and are definitely "very used" but I got them for $300 total cost, including delivery, from a Craigslist seller.

So where is my "Thank you"?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 02:14:40 PM »
So where is my "Thank you"?

See Post #5 and this one! Thanks again!

Cinemania UK

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 05:06:57 AM »
We got one from someone in Surrey for about £20! We had to travel and hire a van but picked up other stock while we were down there so it was well worth it. We also were in touch with a office discount warehouse in Lincolnshire and they were about £60 and very good condition, which reminds me I need to follow it up....

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 09:18:50 PM »
I'm on the trail of some more....

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------