Author Topic: The "headfake" package  (Read 6528 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
The "headfake" package
« on: February 01, 2011, 01:58:13 PM »
I received a package today containing two rolled posters. When I first started to open the package, I was like "holy crap, this is the most secure packaging I've ever seen!". The box was elongated, and inside the box was a large white PVC tube probably 4" in diameter. There was also a plastic cup between the tube and box to prevent movement.

When I picked up the PVC tube, I heard the infamous "slip slop, slip slop" of the posters sliding up and down the tube. Ugh. I had that sinking feeling in my stomach. When I took the posters out, there were probably 10 pieces of white paper wrapped carefully AROUND the posters with a note saying "carefully remove, etc."

Any guesses on how much padding or protection was on the ends of the posters? Answer: zero. Even the white papers that were meticulously wrapped around the poster didn't even go to the ends of the posters. So both posters were getting slammed up and down about 8" of slack all the way to my house. It goes without saying that the edges were cracked and dented.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:58:21 PM by Chop-Top »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: The "headfake" package
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:40:17 PM »
I guess the seller had no concept of the laws of physics. 

This reminds me - from now on I want to see PhD credentials from all sellers I consider in advance!
Chris

Bruce

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 12:28:31 PM »
If there is even a quarter inch of "wiggle room" at the end of a tube, that is more than enough for the posters to slap back and forth a zillion times on their journey, and arrive with a lot of creases down one or both sides.

Bruce

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 12:57:27 PM »
I received a package today containing two rolled posters. When I first started to open the package, I was like "holy crap, this is the most secure packaging I've ever seen!". The box was elongated, and inside the box was a large white PVC tube probably 4" in diameter. There was also a plastic cup between the tube and box to prevent movement.

When I picked up the PVC tube, I heard the infamous "slip slop, slip slop" of the posters sliding up and down the tube. Ugh. I had that sinking feeling in my stomach. When I took the posters out, there were probably 10 pieces of white paper wrapped carefully AROUND the posters with a note saying "carefully remove, etc."

Any guesses on how much padding or protection was on the ends of the posters? Answer: zero. Even the white papers that were meticulously wrapped around the poster didn't even go to the ends of the posters. So both posters were getting slammed up and down about 8" of slack all the way to my house. It goes without saying that the edges were cracked and dented.

Chop, did you end up keeping these dinged posters? Or did you return them for a refund?

There is nothing like that sinking feeling when picking up or receiving a tube, that is solid, sturdy AND undamaged, but where the posters are sloshing back and forth with just a slight rocking, because chances are, the damage you are now thinking is going exist, will be.   crying

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:20:41 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff