Author Topic: Dark Knight international size question  (Read 15429 times)

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
Re: Dark Knight international size question
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 12:24:10 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Batman-The-Dark-Knight-US-1-Sheet-Recalled-never-distributed-Rare-/181936874413?hash=item2a5c4863ad:g:bZYAAOSwAYtWI~n6
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Batman-The-Dark-Knight-US-1-Sheet-Recalled-never-distributed-Rare-/181946281108?hash=item2a5cd7ec94:g:bZYAAOSwAYtWI~n6

Dave has it posted. (APF username Hallucination Generation) who first posted about these has them on the bay.

and heres a link to the original discussion: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1807.0.html
And another: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,4329.0.html
heres a link to BLT communications.  http://bltcommunications.com/Project/the-dark-knight  Their pic is "coming Soon"  minus the credit block and other elements.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:56:56 PM by jedgerley »

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 02:07:33 PM »

where?

link please.

thanks,

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »
thanks!

Sometimes ebay does not let us see listings from the uk, sometimes they do.

So....that ebay seller in the uk is the same guy who had them and talked about them here on this board several years ago? And since then these posters have apparently not shown up in great quantity?

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 02:29:06 PM »
Thanks for posting those Jeff. I think Dave (HG) is the main source for these. Great poster, whatever it's history.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2015, 02:30:53 PM »
Yur welcome.

Are the 2 that bradburied has listed, also these international style? (Visually, I mean. Whether legit or not is another issue, when it comes to him, as we all know).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-DARK-KNIGHT-ROLLED-2-S-MOVIE-POSTER-2008-JOKER-HEATH-LEDGER-DOUBLE-SIDED-/231555618921?hash=item35e9ca5869:g:6qUAAOSwm8VUsVJs
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:37:25 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2015, 03:03:56 PM »
Yur welcome.

Are the 2 that bradburied has listed, also these international style? (Visually, I mean. Whether legit or not is another issue, when it comes to him, as we all know).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-DARK-KNIGHT-ROLLED-2-S-MOVIE-POSTER-2008-JOKER-HEATH-LEDGER-DOUBLE-SIDED-/231555618921?hash=item35e9ca5869:g:6qUAAOSwm8VUsVJs

The infamous, brown shag carpet.  Zoinks.

There is also this thread, from a few years ago, with Cinemasterpieces, HG, etc.  Double zoinks.

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,4329.msg83446.html#msg83446

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2015, 03:11:45 PM »
Hey,

Dave from CMP contacted me regarding this poster.

Again, i got them through my friend Ayrton, who worked for Warners and always had access to advertising.

We have lost touch now and i have not spoken to him for over 2 years. Tried to find him on Facebook a couple of times but couldn't find a profile.

I don't have anything new, sorry.

Hope you all are good.

Dave.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2015, 03:30:46 PM »
Dave, just curious --

What exactly did your friend do at WB?

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2015, 06:08:21 PM »
bradburied has them listed in the wrong year category 1990-1999 which is why they did not show up in my initial search.

good to know.

thanks everyone for the info.

Still inconclusive either way but this evidence leads me to believe they are authentic one sheets: Dave got them from his friend at Warner Bros. Ted got two right when the film came out or even before it came out. My own (and Ted's) up close examination.

Dave

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »
There are some real good fakes out there, but once in hand you know this ain't one of them.

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2015, 03:19:57 PM »
What made you change your mind Dave? It seems from the other thread you had your hands on one from HG and sent it back as you didn't feel it was authentic. Are there more than 1 version of this design?

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2015, 09:32:01 AM »

The one we have that originated from Ted is different. Again, he got it right before or right when the film came out. Once you hold it in your hands you can tell.

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2015, 09:34:41 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. Lucky Ted!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2015, 09:42:52 AM »
I have some of these, you cannot tell from handling if they are original or bootlegs as they feel original. That said, I dont trust the sourcing on them at all. They are the same quality of the 300, grindhouse and why so serious posters that you cannot tell by handling are not originals. 

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2016, 09:53:02 PM »
What made you change your mind Dave? It seems from the other thread you had your hands on one from HG and sent it back as you didn't feel it was authentic. Are there more than 1 version of this design?

He sent it back as i sent it to him for free. That was the deal.
I even paid the postage to 'Dave' and then he sends it back in a tube with NO packing at all. And of course it gets damaged.

So I'm out the £20 postage cost and whatever i could have sold the poster for.

Thanks Dave.
You Tosser.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »
I have some of these, you cannot tell from handling if they are original or bootlegs as they feel original. That said, I dont trust the sourcing on them at all. They are the same quality of the 300, grindhouse and why so serious posters that you cannot tell by handling are not originals. 

So there are bootlegs of this poster out there, too, that are indistinguishable from originals, dale? Are the bootlegs also the same dimensions as the real deals? If so, how can one tell one from the other?

-Jeff

TheDude

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2016, 12:53:06 AM »
Hi guys

I am new to the forum but I know for a certainty that a five by eight foot Joker's back poster was distributed to cinemas in Australia. I worked at a cinema all through high school and university and personally opened and hung one of the Joker's back posters.

Regards

Jake

Ok, Im sorry for not being a little more clear and allowing the opportunistic seller use a play on words to misdirect buyers. Banners are typically 4' (thats feet for us US blokes :P) x8' .. and I only say typically because they are not always that they can be narrower or shorter and longer but are also almost always some kind of durable vinyl .. Larger paper posters have different names like bus stops, 2 sheets and on and on ..

This seller seems to know well enough that this poster was only available in banner form and is using that term to "explain" what type of poster this odd size is... and seriously who do they think they are kidding saying that the UK has had these sizes for "several years" we have many UK members in here and I dont think Ive EVER seen a 24x40 poster pop up (other than this style) .. As for the sites that you linked to .. Sadly many places dont differentiate between designs, fan posters, actual posters and banners .. No one doubts the authenticity of the design .. as weve said it is available in a large vinyl banner form ... Just that the paper version that measure 24x40 is not authentic licensed studio material ..

As I said Ive done a lot of research back when these posters 1st came out and the only logical guess I can come up with is that these were printed on some kind of machine that had size limitations and to make the jump to a machine that could output something 27" or wider is nearly $10k ... So you can see why they worked with what they had .. When these were hot (back in 08 when the movie was decimating at the box office) there was only one seller and he had them on eBay and for sale on his website .. with a seemingly endless supply .. and they were easily at the peak pulling in $200+ .. But also in the sellers history you can see that they sold for as little as $10 yes $10 .. not $100 ... but $10 and the seller would just poster another one up for sale as soon as that auction ended ..

Then these faded away and the ebay account the seller used to sell these just stopped being used in late 09 .. You can check his feedback here he literally had an endless supply and the prices were dropping ..
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=posterstoreusa&ftab=AllFeedback
Now you can try to contact him he may or may not respond .. But honestly if he does hes going to swear that they are real ..

After this seller stopped selling them the only places you could get them was from others that had bought them .. back in mid 09 a very reputable seller (who is on these boards) took one as part of a consignment .. Knowing that he had no idea what it was he removed all reference to this being an original theatrical poster from the auction and let it ride .. He caught a little grief from a lot of us on this board for letting this slip through the way he did ..

Now you may be starting to wonder why/how I can recall all of this .. Well its because I started the threads .. I began the witch hunt for the origins of this poster .. :) and I got taken for over $200 from the eBay seller that denied any and all accusations always claiming that this was some type of international poster ..

Heres a picture of the one I own ..

And Im sorry to be ignoring the 2nd poster you posted .. i only do so because I dont have as much in depth knowledge on it .. But iirc in its English form it was only available as a banner ..  But there is a German version .. that I also own ..

When I bought the 24x40 Joker poster I was literally just getting back into collecting after more than ten years away .. ( i used to have an extensive video poster collection that was subsequently destroyed back in the early 90's) and honestly had never bought theatrical one sheets .. So I bought into the hype and the lack of information surrounding this poster only fed into the idea that this one a rare piece and I should go after it .. LOL .. Ohh how naive I was .. So since it wasnt the TDK crown jewel I thought it was .. I ended up getting this great piece to take its place ..

TheDude

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2016, 07:50:33 AM »
Whoops I see now you were talking about the smaller size. Please ignore the newbie.