Author Topic: Dark Knight international size question  (Read 15740 times)

Gimpy

Dark Knight international size question
« on: January 29, 2011, 06:41:49 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm looking to purchase a couple of single sided international advance posters for The Dark Knight. They are claimed as original I just wanted to make sure they were the right size to be originals. They are 24x40 instead of 27x40, I'm not too into the poster world yet so I don't know 100% the size difference if it's common, legitimate or anything.

The 2 international advance posters in question, here are pictures of them. Both listed as 24x40 just wanted to double check with people that know their stuff about the legitimacy of their size! Thanks! (second one in these pictures has the date, but poster in question says COMING SOON)

guest8

Re: Dark Knight international size question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 07:35:35 PM »
Well they are not original .. The one showing the back of the Joker is only known to exist in Banner form ... No one knows for sure who made them or what purpose they may have served .. (unlicensed prints, commercial prints...??) But the over all consensus on them is unlicensed prints .. hence the funky 24x40 sizes ..

Gimpy

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 08:45:18 PM »
Interesting stuff. I follow multiple movie news blogs and while searching their past stories just found a story that covered this poster as an international release...link here:
http://www.beyondhollywood.com/the-dark-knight-international-poster-the-joker-version/

Also here:
http://www.slashfilm.com/the-joker-featured-on-second-international-dark-knight-poster/

I'm in the process of writing them (Beyond Hollywood) a letter to see where the image came from originally, if it was indeed from the studio or not. I shall update here if I hear anything!

Edit: found a 3rd source:
http://www.superherohype.com/features/articles/95433-new-joker-posters-for-the-dark-knight (link to original premiere of poster is a site in French)

Is it possible they are legit? I know the character portraits of Harvey Dent holding up his button, The Joker holding a card, and Batman holding one of his Batman logo ninja stars all close to the camera were just banners officially released through Yahoo Movies, but haven't found anything definitively saying one way or the other about the Joker's back poster yet.

Do any other international posters come in 24x40? Has anyone had experience with them? Or has anyone seen them in full 27x40 sizes?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:35:08 PM by Gimpy »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:54:23 PM »
It's definitely derived from an official design:

http://thedarkknight.warnerbros.com/dvdsite/media/images/downloads/wallpaper_joker_1600.jpg

Looks like the other is taken from the photo section of the official website as well.

About a 1% chance a 24x40 is an original.

Gimpy

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 10:40:52 PM »
I got a response from Beyond Hollywood they said the poster image itself was authentic but couldn't give much help otherwise.
I've contact Warner Brothers to see if I can get any information on the poster licensing and asked if I could get any information on that size being legit or not. Who knows if I'll hear anything back from them it's a long shot. I've also contacted the seller asking for more information on them and guess I'll wait and see what they say...wouldn't it be great if they were really original 27x40s and they just had a typo?  ;D Of course I expect them to say "don't worry it's all original!"

Thanks for the replies guys.

Gimpy

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 12:16:38 AM »
Just received this information from the seller, it seems he is saying they are considered banner posters (as it seems fallenangel1 was getting at) rather than 1 sheets. I'm sure they are still nice posters regardless, but it is holding me back, or making me question weather or not to make the purchase.

(In regards to the Joker's back poster specifically)

"These are made and always have been made for several years for the England market mostly.
These are the only authentic poster made by Warner Brothers for this artwork for style A.
It was not approved for use in the USA. The technical term I have understood used for this is a banner poster vs a one sheet. I have collected them as far back as "TROY".
I just received some for HP7 and I ordered some for "Sucker Punch" I dropped the price just for some attention. I sell them to a guy who crops the bottom 4 inches off and frames them and sell them for Big Dollars. They who say it wasn't licensed are correct.
It is a studio release only."

What do you professionals  ;D take from that?

guest8

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 08:58:26 AM »
Ok, Im sorry for not being a little more clear and allowing the opportunistic seller use a play on words to misdirect buyers. Banners are typically 4' (thats feet for us US blokes :P) x8' .. and I only say typically because they are not always that they can be narrower or shorter and longer but are also almost always some kind of durable vinyl .. Larger paper posters have different names like bus stops, 2 sheets and on and on ..

This seller seems to know well enough that this poster was only available in banner form and is using that term to "explain" what type of poster this odd size is... and seriously who do they think they are kidding saying that the UK has had these sizes for "several years" we have many UK members in here and I dont think Ive EVER seen a 24x40 poster pop up (other than this style) .. As for the sites that you linked to .. Sadly many places dont differentiate between designs, fan posters, actual posters and banners .. No one doubts the authenticity of the design .. as weve said it is available in a large vinyl banner form ... Just that the paper version that measure 24x40 is not authentic licensed studio material ..

As I said Ive done a lot of research back when these posters 1st came out and the only logical guess I can come up with is that these were printed on some kind of machine that had size limitations and to make the jump to a machine that could output something 27" or wider is nearly $10k ... So you can see why they worked with what they had .. When these were hot (back in 08 when the movie was decimating at the box office) there was only one seller and he had them on eBay and for sale on his website .. with a seemingly endless supply .. and they were easily at the peak pulling in $200+ .. But also in the sellers history you can see that they sold for as little as $10 yes $10 .. not $100 ... but $10 and the seller would just poster another one up for sale as soon as that auction ended ..

Then these faded away and the ebay account the seller used to sell these just stopped being used in late 09 .. You can check his feedback here he literally had an endless supply and the prices were dropping ..
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=posterstoreusa&ftab=AllFeedback
Now you can try to contact him he may or may not respond .. But honestly if he does hes going to swear that they are real ..

After this seller stopped selling them the only places you could get them was from others that had bought them .. back in mid 09 a very reputable seller (who is on these boards) took one as part of a consignment .. Knowing that he had no idea what it was he removed all reference to this being an original theatrical poster from the auction and let it ride .. He caught a little grief from a lot of us on this board for letting this slip through the way he did ..

Now you may be starting to wonder why/how I can recall all of this .. Well its because I started the threads .. I began the witch hunt for the origins of this poster .. :) and I got taken for over $200 from the eBay seller that denied any and all accusations always claiming that this was some type of international poster ..

Heres a picture of the one I own ..

And Im sorry to be ignoring the 2nd poster you posted .. i only do so because I dont have as much in depth knowledge on it .. But iirc in its English form it was only available as a banner ..  But there is a German version .. that I also own ..

When I bought the 24x40 Joker poster I was literally just getting back into collecting after more than ten years away .. ( i used to have an extensive video poster collection that was subsequently destroyed back in the early 90's) and honestly had never bought theatrical one sheets .. So I bought into the hype and the lack of information surrounding this poster only fed into the idea that this one a rare piece and I should go after it .. LOL .. Ohh how naive I was .. So since it wasnt the TDK crown jewel I thought it was .. I ended up getting this great piece to take its place ..

Gimpy

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 01:46:56 PM »
Holy smokes that's a lot of good information thanks a ton for posting that! Sure seems like you put a lot of time into finding out the origin of that Joker's back poster and I appreciate you sharing that. Is the one you own (Joker's back) 24x40, the same as the one I've been looking at?

Even though it's not an original, it still looks like a real nice poster, judging from the picture you've posted and the guy that's selling them is only selling them for $11 so I might pick one up just for the sake of...having a poster that looks cool haha. But then again I only have a bit of extra money to play with right now and I might wait on that and buy some other originals instead. This shall require some pondering.

I'm not too heartbroken over it not being original, I know there are original releases out there just becoming less common. I've seen "the one who must not be named in the poster world" and sellers with 100% same listing layouts (I'm assuming affiliates or friends of the one) on eBay selling what they claim are Dark Knight final originals for less than $20 but given their reputation I have doubts about them.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 02:09:32 PM »
In the Uk, I think it would be unlikely that the Advertising Standards Authority would allow the poster to be released over here due to the knife being part of the image,they are incredibly sensitive on this issue as it could be deemed to be menacing or glamorizing the use of a knife to improve ones life or situation...there have been many ads for films and computer games recalled due to this issue...

My 2 cents...

Stew

guest8

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 04:09:44 PM »
Holy smokes that's a lot of good information thanks a ton for posting that! Sure seems like you put a lot of time into finding out the origin of that Joker's back poster and I appreciate you sharing that. Is the one you own (Joker's back) 24x40, the same as the one I've been looking at?

Even though it's not an original, it still looks like a real nice poster, judging from the picture you've posted and the guy that's selling them is only selling them for $11 so I might pick one up just for the sake of...having a poster that looks cool haha. But then again I only have a bit of extra money to play with right now and I might wait on that and buy some other originals instead. This shall require some pondering.

I'm not too heartbroken over it not being original, I know there are original releases out there just becoming less common. I've seen "the one who must not be named in the poster world" and sellers with 100% same listing layouts (I'm assuming affiliates or friends of the one) on eBay selling what they claim are Dark Knight final originals for less than $20 but given their reputation I have doubts about them.

Well I cant say for sure if its the same source but mine is 24x40 as well .. It wouldnt be unheard of  for someone to make another version or a copy of the unlicensed print that I bought back in 08 .. It was popular and made that guy a lot of $$$ .. But if they are selling them for only $11 it sounds like a cheap moviegoods copy which may be a bad knock off ..

Gimpy

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »
Just a final update here, I decided to pass on those posters and then I heard back from Warner Brothers and they told me the prints were a violation of their copyright and were looking into it.

I instead decided to invest in a "Why So Serious?" Joker original advance for the movie! I'm really excited and hoping that one gets here today or tomorrow! I'll definitely be scoping that one out seriously for authenticity (I've been reading the page on movieposterauthenticating.com about it and also have a 10MB hi-res picture of ...to my knowledge the original for reference)...might require some assistance from some members on here if they don't mind.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 03:56:47 PM »
Probably best Gimpy to seekout a WSS original..it was good of Warner Bros to let you know off hand that those posters are best avoided..

Stew

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »
WOW!....I guess all I read bout Rochester is true...listing as a ds 27 x 40.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DARK-KNIGHT-F-INTL-DS-ROLLED-27X40-MOVIE-POSTER-/220709601652?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3363514174

I didnt get any from him but now I have to go back and look at all my posters.  :P

Gimpy

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/DARK-KNIGHT-F-INTL-DS-ROLLED-27X40-MOVIE-POSTER-/220709601652?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3363514174

I didnt get any from him but now I have to go back and look at all my posters.  :P

The 27x40 could be legitimate still, I believe it's only the 24x40 print in question that WB said was not official.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 04:18:14 PM »
Research that seller!......... Research em all for that matter  :P

guest8

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 05:21:37 PM »
The 27x40 could be legitimate still, I believe it's only the 24x40 print in question that WB said was not official.

That art work was only in banner form as well iirc .. that and the German campaign .. (I have a German poster with that artwork) But as far as any English posters UK/US I dont think they "officially" exist ..

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »

I didnt get any from him but now I have to go back and look at all my posters.  :P

While I cannot vouch for this Ebay seller's listing, I am not convinced that this style is a repro/bootleg.

I bought two of these from two different Ebay sellers (not this seller) when the movie first came out. Each seller only had one. Neither seemed to be in the business of selling fakes. I won each for under $20. Both posters are exactly 27x40 and the reverse side is distinctly paler than the front, exactly the same as other DS posters from the DARK KNIGHT campaign.

Every line of type -- including the smallest -- are razor sharp and impossible to differentiate from the other posters -- even under a 5x loop.  The art of the Joker is crystal clear, unlike the Why So Serious dupes, one of which I have.

According to a source close to WB (second hand info), the studio never printed any of these.

If it is a bootleg, then it is a masterpiece.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 08:58:12 PM »
Holy confusion Batman!..... or should I say wow?!  :o

I dont know what to say  :P

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 09:43:54 PM »
wow, great idea, lay a fake on a pile of posters to make it look like just another poster.

OK, first of all, the movie only released on 7/18 in select countries. I can confirm that image is true to form for a banner. Now I cannot say with 100% certainty that the poster in question is a repro or original, but I will say I would not spend over 25.00 for one at this time.

I am going to start firing off to WB for the contacts I have. They may not respond, but hopefully someone will chime in.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Why don't you ask the seller to ask Prof Powers?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 09:50:20 PM »
According to a source close to WB (second hand info), the studio never printed any of these.

I usually never read Dark Knight, Spiderman or similar threads (been there, done that), but it's half time and I'm bored.  Wow, are you guys actually discussing Loce's sales?  Seriously?  Ted, this poster is FAKE, FAKE, FAKE, FAKE!  Warner NEVER printed it.  And this is not 2nd hand info.

And stay away from Loce's sales.  Save your money.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 09:53:53 PM »
Hey, T...I did not buy it from Tommy Boy.
And like I said, if it is a bootleg, it's a masterpiece.  wynk

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 09:57:34 PM »
Hey, T...I did not buy it from Tommy Boy.
And like I said, if it is a bootleg, it's a masterpiece.  wynk

Welcome to the 2000s!

Nowadays, if you don't get a popular modern poster within a month of its initial distribution, don't bother.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 10:06:36 PM »
Welcome to the 2000s!

Nowadays, if you don't get a popular modern poster within a month of its initial distribution, don't bother.

How true. Sad but true.
But I think I actually bought it about a week before the film opened.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 10:09:55 PM »
Yes, but the image was already all over the internet.  That's all it takes, bud.  A good jpeg.  There is a guy in NYC (can't remember the name now) who prints high res banners.  They look more real than real, but they are FAKE, FAKE, FAKE.
My Personal Collection