Author Topic: What's on your walls?  (Read 543688 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: What's on your walls?
« Reply #1950 on: January 05, 2018, 03:28:47 PM »

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #1951 on: January 05, 2018, 06:27:36 PM »
Looks great, Chris!

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1952 on: January 06, 2018, 01:25:55 PM »
Just received this guy from HA's last sig auction and decided to put it up for a little while.  No frame needed, it's not going to stay there, but I can look at it for a few weeks.

Laura (1944) 3 Sheet

T

O' boy. I'll drink to that. cheers

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1953 on: January 06, 2018, 01:59:40 PM »
Awesome colors.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1954 on: January 06, 2018, 02:00:19 PM »
Kickin' ass, Chris.
 thumbup

And agreed... great update Chris! 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1955 on: January 06, 2018, 03:32:56 PM »
Looks great Thierry!
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1956 on: January 06, 2018, 09:34:41 PM »
Thanks guys.  It's funny, my wife doesn't know that I bought this poster, nor does she cares really, but she was sitting there for an hour yesterday until she noticed it.  She said, "Oh, that's new," and went straight to bed.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1957 on: January 07, 2018, 12:05:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  It's funny, my wife doesn't know that I bought this poster, nor does she cares really, but she was sitting there for an hour yesterday until she noticed it.  She said, "Oh, that's new," and went straight to bed.

T

A lot worse things she could have said!
Chris

guest4955

« Reply #1958 on: January 07, 2018, 03:25:00 AM »
[Bleep] all y’all!

All these posts forced me to actually investigate a B&W movie, which I normally shun. (Which is why Ted Turner controversially colorized some B&W classics, no color=low ratings)

So the trailer for Laura was atrocious but this is much better:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xZa2GP8l5q8

And “Gene” is an XX, “Dana” XY, tricksy....

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1959 on: January 07, 2018, 03:34:46 AM »
I don't know if it has been colorized, but this is ONE movie that CANNOT be seen in color.  The B&W is gorgeous.  Best film noir ever imo.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1960 on: January 07, 2018, 08:59:22 AM »
I don't know if it has been colorized, but this is ONE movie that CANNOT be seen in color.  The B&W is gorgeous.  Best film noir ever imo.

T

No films shot in B/W should be colorized, imho. They almost always look wrong and odd, due to the fact that every aspect, from sets to lighting to wardrobe to makeup were all designed to be shot and (and then seen) in black and white.

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #1961 on: January 07, 2018, 10:26:47 AM »
I don't understand how anyone who claims to love films can say that they can't watch B&W movies. 

That said, I will agree that films shot in B&W benefit greatly from being seen the way they were meant to be, i.e. on the big screen.  They lose quite a bit of their impact when seen on a TV screen, which has a tendency to water down the contrast and make everything look dull.  That is obviously not the way those movies look when properly screened.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1962 on: January 07, 2018, 11:00:29 AM »
I don't understand how anyone who claims to love films can say that they can't watch B&W movies. 

That said, I will agree that films shot in B&W benefit greatly from being seen the way they were meant to be, i.e. on the big screen.  They lose quite a bit of their impact when seen on a TV screen, which has a tendency to water down the contrast and make everything look dull.  That is obviously not the way those movies look when properly screened.

I agree with you 100% here, Ben.

And I would go one step further and say that any theatrically produced film, b/w or color, is meant to be seen and shown on the big screen and are not shot to be watched on a television.

TV movies, cable flicks or TV programs are produced for that medium.

Yes, the larger flat screen TVs have made viewing better (along with a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 sound system, if had, to truly enjoy the full mix of the audio track), but no director making a movie is initially setting up a shot or scene, pondering how it's going to look on a 35" TV.

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1963 on: January 07, 2018, 11:28:51 AM »
Reminds me of this...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/T482ipWnBM4&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/T482ipWnBM4&amp;feature=related</a>

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1964 on: January 07, 2018, 11:42:01 AM »
As for black & white movies, I couldn't quite understand why they had to bee seen as originally filmed until I started shooting black & white film.  When you shoot black and white photographs on film* for a while you -- there is not other way to describe it, but you simply start looking at the world in a different way.  The colors fall alway and you begin only focus on changes in light and shadow and contrast within the frame. 

Then when I went to back to old black and white films -- especially film noir and thoughtfully shot movies like Citizen Kane -- it was like a revelation! 

*Note: Shooting B&W images on digital can help too as long as you do it in-camera and change your LCD to display only black and white.  Then you can kind of walk around a B&W world.  However, shooting on film with all the guess work and delay between exposure and development is really when it all started to click for me.  In that case you have to actually view the world in color, but imagine what it will look like when the color is gone.  It's very difficult and unnatural at first.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1965 on: January 07, 2018, 11:57:53 AM »
Why might a black and white photograph be better than a colour version of the same photograph?

All of the reasons listed here could also apply to B&W films.  I think modern audiences are trapped into the assumption that removing color from the equation will always be subtractive in some way.  While in practice and if used thoughtfully, B&W can actually enhance the story telling experience.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1966 on: January 07, 2018, 02:02:29 PM »
I agree with you 100% here, Ben.

And I would go one step further and say that any theatrically produced film, b/w or color, is meant to be seen and shown on the big screen and are not shot to be watched on a television.

TV movies, cable flicks or TV programs are produced for that medium.

Yes, the larger flat screen TVs have made viewing better (along with a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 sound system, if had, to truly enjoy the full mix of the audio track), but no director making a movie is initially setting up a shot or scene, pondering how it's going to look on a 35" TV.

And I might also add, if not to go further, to say that movies shot for both 2D and 3D should cater to the fact that those watching in 3D are using sunglasses (in effect) and as such, the lighting levels for such should be increased.

All to often, I see a film in 3D, realise I am missing something, I raise the glasses and see all the lighting levels correct, albeit the picture is now blurred.  That said, I now no longer see films in 3D. 

What is the process for shooting for both 2D and 3D?  I am guessing all is filmed with two lenses, lit for one or the other option and then the 2D version is just that which is filmed from lens left (or right)?  Either way, 3D movies are too dark.

guest4955

« Reply #1967 on: January 07, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »
Ha, I expected my B&W comment to be controversial.

I'll certainly watch a particular B&W movie (like Casablanca), but - as Turner TV claimed in the 1980s - like most viewers I automatically speed past all TV channels showing B&W films/TV shows.

I can't really remember watching colorized versions in the 1980s but the B&W purists won and - to my knowledge - colorization ceased and the colorized versions are difficult/impossible to find now.

My info/knowledge is 20-30 years old now, so perhaps someone can update.

One last point, I'm certain directors/studios would have made virtually all pre-1960s movies in COLOR if it had been economically feasible to do so.

First, very few films in the last 50 years have been B&W.

Second, almost all B&W films were marketed with color movie posters....

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1968 on: January 07, 2018, 05:54:46 PM »
B&W is for purists imo, but there will always be purists, today, tomorrow or in 100 years. 

I asked my 20 year old nanny and 2 of her friends if they had ever seen a B&W movie and they laughed at the idea.  It makes sense to me.  I was exposed to it as a child and saw a fair amount of B&W movies, but if you haven't, why should you care?  I haven't seen one in years, and I don't know if I will ever expose my kids to B&W.  I won't teach them how to use a rotary phone either, or warm their bath water on a fire.  They will, instead, teach me about the future and I will try to learn.  History is important, museums are important, but I don't think 30 years of B&W movies matter that much.  It's all personal, though.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #1969 on: January 07, 2018, 07:51:38 PM »
I enjoy watching B&W movies in part for the beautiful women/actresses (doesn't matter it's not in colour) and I also love seeing the old streetscapes / police cars / cars. I cringed at the thought of watching B&W as a child, but now I don't mind at all, and, many movies are excellent, including non English language foreign B&W films. I would prefer them in colour if they could have been made that way, though not necessarily colorized films

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1970 on: January 07, 2018, 08:03:23 PM »
philistines! ;D

I asked my 20 year old nanny and 2 of her friends if they had ever seen a B&W movie and they laughed at the idea.  It makes sense to me.  I was exposed to it as a child and saw a fair amount of B&W movies, but if you haven't, why should you care?  I haven't seen one in years, and I don't know if I will ever expose my kids to B&W.  I won't teach them how to use a rotary phone either, or warm their bath water on a fire.  They will, instead, teach me about the future and I will try to learn.  History is important, museums are important, but I don't think 30 years of B&W movies matter that much.  It's all personal, though.

T

This is true. I watched b&w films growing up and it was whatever, a film. I have friends however who never did and when I've forced them to sit and watch one all they bemoan is an absence of colour. I've also found as they've manage to watch more they quickly get past that and appreciate b&w for its own qualities.

But b&w and colour are not just aesthetic choices. It often contribute to a film's storytelling. See any Argento for use of colour, or say; Lang's M for b&w - they're integral parts of the story.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1971 on: January 07, 2018, 11:34:27 PM »
philistines! ;D

This is true. I watched b&w films growing up and it was whatever, a film. I have friends however who never did and when I've forced them to sit and watch one all they bemoan is an absence of colour. I've also found as they've manage to watch more they quickly get past that and appreciate b&w for its own qualities.

But b&w and colour are not just aesthetic choices. It often contribute to a film's storytelling. See any Argento for use of colour, or say; Lang's M for b&w - they're integral parts of the story.

Very true, ladeda. It often had nothing to do with budget and more with aesthetics and the atmosphere/mood desired.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #1972 on: January 08, 2018, 02:37:01 AM »
I'm generally opposed to colorization but would love to see ONE SCENE from all B&W classics (like Casablanca, Universal horror, etc.) that is colorized properly (colors researched etc.).

Why? Color brings images "to life." I once randomly watched a "WWII in Color" TV show and it was mind-blowing, We've all seen gazillions of B&W WW2 images and they seem like they're from the Stone Age.

By contrast:

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1973 on: January 08, 2018, 05:21:53 PM »
I enjoy watching B&W movies

Yes.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1974 on: February 02, 2018, 04:40:15 AM »
While not on my wall, I bought this rolled Insert for a friend, and sorted the framing thereof.

He sends this.