Author Topic: Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 9610 times)

Jonkino

Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« on: January 01, 2011, 01:01:20 PM »
So anybody regret buying any or all the early "pure" (no titles) art prints for this series?  I'm glad I waited until the end - don't really see the point of movie art prints without titles:

Hi, New to the forum but I do collect Alamo Drafthouse prints. I got several of the Star Wars posters from the series and I kind of agree that buying the art prints (without the movie titles) for me personally, was  a bit of a mistake so I may sell them/trade them off. I agree though that for some people it's not a problem at all and it's purely a personal preference.

Unfortunately I had a nightmare trying to get the Moss and Tyler SW prints, the only one I managed was Stout's ROTJ. If anyone has spares of the others (Stout's SW) and want to trade for any/several of the other SWs prints I have from the Mondo series I'd be happy to discuss that - or even will consider any combination of trades to get these Stouts, they are my most definitely 'must haves' from the series so far.

The ones I have available for trade are:

Star Wars wave 1 & 2 (Ken Taylor)
Father: Encounter On Dagobah
Palace (Tom Whalen)
Attack Position (Rich Kelly)
A Linch Pin Droid (Kevin Tong)
Han Shot First (Florian Bertman)
Great Warrior (Tod Slater)

Would even include one of stout's Let the Right One In (I have the regular and the variant).

If there's any interest from any other collectors please PM.

Thanks

Jonkino

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »
Anyone interest in a trade of any the above for the stout Star Wars posters?? Please PM me if you do or leave a message or your email address here.
Ta

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 12:58:01 PM »
Hey Jonkino,

Tyler Stout is planning on selling some copies of these posters via his website.  I don't know if these were held back from the original print run or A/Ps.  Go to tstout.com and sign up for his newletter/mailing list.  He mentioned to expect these sometime around the 16th or 17th. He typically employs a lottery.  He sends instructions in the email how to enter.  You have a limited time window to do so.  He then contacts the winners giving them a limited time window to purchase the posters.  It's a longshot as I am sure there will be enormous interest, but it's another chance.
I'd expect his prices to be higher than Mondo's, but less than flippers on eBay.  Frankly, I don't mind so much because I am glad to see the artist getting a cut of the price for the cool work they do.

Good luck.

BTW, if you want to sell A Linch Pin Droid (Kevin Tong), send me a PM what your asking price is.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 01:57:13 PM »
And posting this on a public forum certainly doesn't help Jonkino's chances to score some posters.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Jonkino

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
Thanks. I do about Tyler's plan to sell SMS I actually hot my Let the Right One's through his email lottery, so I'll be there don't worry. Yeah, perhaps would have been better to send me a pm with thatmessage but I know you're only trying to help so thanks. I guess you'll be there too.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 06:22:42 PM »
I believe Tyler is only getting a handful.  His new deal with Mondo means that he's getting more $ upfront, and less prints to sell afterward.  Now that the cat is out of the bag, good luck to everyone who will be trying to score one.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 12:05:12 AM »
When you buy a "sold out" poster from Rob Jones, he says, please do not tell anyone about this offer.  Since he asks me to do that, I don't tell anyone.

I admit that Tyler probably has his hands full with the lottery system he uses.  Some people don't like the system. I think it's fair.  I have been lucky a few times. I have been unlucky a few times. 

I realize all these forums and things we post live in perpetuity and gets saved somewhere in the internet, but if you don't think the artist wants people to know T, then feel free to delete my post.

Frankly, I didn't think it was any big secret what he does (at least if you ever read EB), and I certainly didn't think sharing this information with a forum member on a thread that has been read 90 times over two weeks was a breach of confidentiality.  I have gotten some excellent deals on movie posters and prints over the years that helped me find things that I was looking for because people took the time to share the information on a public forum.  If this stuff needs to now be only shared via PMs, then I guess I should stop wasting my time reading and participating in forums.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 03:33:42 AM »
Hey man, I couldn't care less.  I personally own all of them.  But if you're going to help a forum member on a specific issue, it might be better not to advertise it to all.  It just seems like common sense.  My 2c anyway.  You disagree with it, more power to you.  You're wasting time on the forums, do something else.  It's as simple as that.  Your life is your own.

T
My Personal Collection

Jonkino

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 08:12:47 AM »
When you buy a "sold out" poster from Rob Jones, he says, please do not tell anyone about this offer.  Since he asks me to do that, I don't tell anyone.

I admit that Tyler probably has his hands full with the lottery system he uses.  Some people don't like the system. I think it's fair.  I have been lucky a few times. I have been unlucky a few times. 

I realize all these forums and things we post live in perpetuity and gets saved somewhere in the internet, but if you don't think the artist wants people to know T, then feel free to delete my post.

Frankly, I didn't think it was any big secret what he does (at least if you ever read EB), and I certainly didn't think sharing this information with a forum member on a thread that has been read 90 times over two weeks was a breach of confidentiality.  I have gotten some excellent deals on movie posters and prints over the years that helped me find things that I was looking for because people took the time to share the information on a public forum.  If this stuff needs to now be only shared via PMs, then I guess I should stop wasting my time reading and participating in forums.

It's cool, if I didn't have known. it would of course been a great help to me in my search to get the posters or at least to get another shot at it. I think probably anyone who reads the Alamo threads who wants these posters will already be in the know anyway about the coming sale. I guess Tyler is goings to be selling about 20 or so, so it's gonna be a real ultra hard lottery to bag one!.

I guess what is more import about confidentiality is when artists asks you not to post information on a future release due to licensing issues and the fact that the poster title that the artist is working on has not been released yet. For example, Florian Bertmer, who I know is working on future release for Mondo - which actually is one of my all time favourites. He actually shared some information with me that meant that I guessed the title and he asked me not to share it on any of the forums - for obviously reasons, which obviously I haven't done. Now if I did then that would really be breaching the confidentially act. what worries me about Tyler's copies is what's to stop those who have already won copies in trying to get another set rather than letting other collectors getting a chance. Do you think if Tyler looks out for people that he knows has already got a set so they don't get offered another? I guess that is really going to be too much to expect?

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 12:48:37 PM »
i'm guessing the price will be such that flippers won't be too interested.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 01:51:13 PM »
Yes, it will be.  Wait for tomorrow's email :)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »
One thing...i can sense the anticipation for the mail drop tomorrow,,but hand on heart i hope Tyler makes a killing on his release..he deserves a little reward now his pieces are commanding top dollar on the secondary market..

Stew

Ps Tyler...do a silent running...... :)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »
Ps Tyler...do a silent running...... :)

Yeah, that would be the shit, eh?  wynk

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 03:51:39 PM »
Yeah, that would be the shit, eh?  wynk

yes Sir.....i think his drawing style would suite Bruce Derns features perfect...

Stew