Author Topic: Poster Restorers, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly  (Read 101431 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Poster Restorers, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
« Reply #200 on: March 16, 2017, 04:36:34 PM »
Mike (Mac-Apple) isnt in LA, but has posted about his experience and their work, here:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,11766.0.html

And Brian (Starling) is in LA and had this to say about them, starting here:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8347.msg162125.html#msg162125

-Jeff

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #201 on: March 16, 2017, 04:47:36 PM »
Anyone in the Los Angles area ever had a poster restored and/or linen backed by Fourth Cone Restoration? Just curious about their quality of work. Thanks!

Again, not in LA, but they did fine by me on a backing/slight restore. Affordable, good communication, and fairly quick turnaround.

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
« Reply #202 on: March 16, 2017, 04:56:57 PM »
Thanks for everyone's quick reply. I will try them.
Rudy

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2017, 12:44:32 PM »
I've read so many different bits about linen backing posters I find it all so confusing :-\ if it's a good or bad thing, even reading lots of posts on these forums on the subject still does not make things any clearer, so many mixed impressions as to whether you should get posters backed or leave well alone.

One thing that I have noticed and I personally found a little surprising is just how many online dealers have more or at least as many linen backed posters for sale than original/unrestored ones, I would have thought dealers would always be more for the original look of a poster, it's quite shocking (to me) how some dealers are selling so many posters already linen backed :o

I just don't think I could ever bring myself to buy any poster already linen backed, I'm always wondering just how much work has really been done on some of these posters online dealers are selling, I mean unless you are a true expert on such things and can spot what's been worked on or if you were actually "there" when the restoration work was done, how on earth would you ever know ???

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2017, 01:55:16 PM »
I'll post this here as well... Is there a write up somewhere as to why some people have a problem with Posterfix?  I used them before and while they were EXTREMELY slow, I thought they did fine work.

Really? What made his work stand out to you?

How many pieces did you ever entrust to Mr Cloutier to work on? And can you share some 'befores' and Posterfix 'afters?'
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 06:20:07 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »
Give Matt a pass - his post was from 2010  ;D
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2017, 03:18:12 PM »
Isnt a restorer's ability and work supposed to get better as time goes on? Maybe Cloutier was at his creative peak in 2010 (said tongue in cheek, of course), as all recent posts suggest he's been on a steady, downward slide since then.  whip

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #207 on: April 03, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »

I have a hard time believing anyone could have thought Posterfix is a good restorer in any day & age and in any universe, even 2010..

I hop ethat in teh time since, Matt has seen the error of his way

;)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #208 on: April 06, 2017, 01:18:42 AM »

Why does that matter? As can be found in multiple, various posts here on APF-- Posterfix/Cloutier have gotten much bad press here, and seemingly, well deserved. Watch his youtubube videos as further proof. Many are like train wrecks (the use of Elmer's glue, tossing parts of a torn poster in the trash etc)

So when someone says he "does fine work," Im sure many would like to know, legitimately, what was "fine" about his work, even if it was way back when.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:24:35 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #209 on: April 06, 2017, 01:27:30 AM »
Should that matter? As can be found in multiple, various posts here on APF-- Posterfix/Cloutier have gotten much bad press here, and seemingly, well deserved. Watch his youtubube videos as further proof. Many are like train wrecks (the use of Elmer's glue, tossing parts of a torn poster in the trash etc)

So when someone says he "does fine work," Im sure many would like to know, legitimately, what was "fine" about his work, even if it was way back when.

My implication was that, likely, Mr. Matt's opinion has changed significantly with an additional 7 years of knowledge and experience.  And if it hasn't...well I am going to have to make a trip down to South Carolina.

Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #210 on: April 06, 2017, 01:33:16 AM »
Thanks Chris... I figured that your  ;D was being more tongue in cheek, but  I'm sincerely curious why matt thought Cloutier did good ("fine") work.

Pfix has gotten a BIG, FAT ZERO from many other folks who have used him and his team in the recent past.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:05:38 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: Poster Restorers-- Those Recommended and Those to Avoid
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2018, 09:31:11 PM »
A definite and 'high five' and recommendation goes out to Mario Cueva and his company, Lumiere Poster Restoration (http://www.lumiereposterrestoration.com/) in southern California. He does very fine work, is knowledgeable and his turn around time is  thumbup, too.

I agree.  I've been very happy with Mario's work as well.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2018, 10:47:32 AM »
Really? What made his work stand out to you?

How many pieces did you ever entrust to Mr Cloutier to work on? And can you share some 'befores' and Posterfix 'afters?'

If you're going to resurrect some old ass post from nearly a decade ago -- might be a good idea to ping me if you have a question, no? 

At that time Posterfix did the work, I had only ever used Dario.  He didn't do anything larger than 1-sheets/quads so I needed to find an alternative for my French 1-panel.  I saw Posterfix's cheap eBay prices and gave him a go.  As mentioned, he took FOREVER -- can't remember the details but it was like 6+ months and I had to hassle him multiple times.  That should have sent red flags, but at least I got it back eventually.  When the poster arrived it looked good -- no bubbles, no lazy/botched restoration areas, etc... like some of the examples I've seen of his work in this thread.  It's been framed on may wall since (L'Avventura French).

Since then I've obviously seen multiple poor examples of his work and perhaps worse, his work practices.  I would never use him today given all the more competent alternatives.  For the record, I've now used Dario, Posterfix, Poster Mountain, Sylvia Locken (retired), and Mario (who is my current go-to guy). 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2018, 02:26:38 PM »
It was a question based on your public post to the forum about his work, so I simply asked a public question back in the same thread. Had we shared private PM about him prior, I would continued in that same fashion.

In any case, I was curious to ask you then, especially since we've all seen his work via his various youtube clips (and his continuing to slide & go downhill/lack of care etc over the years).

In addition, when I posted that question, almost a year ago, in April of 2017, there had been some other ongoing discussion about Posterfix and the sub-par work he does, as was shown is some of his videos posted even back back then. So my question wasn't just randomly digging up some old post from the past.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 05:21:28 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2018, 09:27:49 PM »
A Memorial Day (non) treat, courtesy of Posterfix.

Yet more sloppy work on a French 1P for It Came From Outer Space. And watch, specifically, at 2;46 into the footage (he has sped it up but this faux pas can be seen), how his careless use of a roller tears a quarter size piece from the poster, in the yellow title area. He then uses a blade of some kind to quickly put it into place, a short time later, @ 3;32.  Doh.gif

It only gets better, when at 5;19, his wife begins the slopping on of paint onto all the areas that Cloutier damaged.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/axyvWzpWIUw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/axyvWzpWIUw</a>

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #215 on: May 29, 2018, 06:06:13 AM »
Yeah, a great chunk comes off the word Nuit. 

Hi thinking must be, Well, if I am repairing it, then it doesn't matter what further damage is done to in the meantime.

Thing is, there are sellers who will look at the pre-repair damage to posters in their sales blurb.  So it never really goes away.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #216 on: May 29, 2018, 03:11:40 PM »
EEK! Keep that man away from my paper! Shouldn't he at least put another piece of paper or something over the poster before he goes to town with that roller? Then he wouldn't tear up pieces of the poster and repair what didn't need to be repaired in the first place.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #217 on: May 29, 2018, 03:51:37 PM »
Watch any of his other videos and you'll see how many times he or his so-called artist wife have torn or damaged posters they are in the process of working on. It's astounding.  faint2.gif mesmrized

-Jeff

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2020, 08:37:02 AM »
I've read so many different bits about linen backing posters I find it all so confusing :-\ if it's a good or bad thing, even reading lots of posts on these forums on the subject still does not make things any clearer, so many mixed impressions as to whether you should get posters backed or leave well alone.

One thing that I have noticed and I personally found a little surprising is just how many online dealers have more or at least as many linen backed posters for sale than original/unrestored ones, I would have thought dealers would always be more for the original look of a poster, it's quite shocking (to me) how some dealers are selling so many posters already linen backed :o

I just don't think I could ever bring myself to buy any poster already linen backed, I'm always wondering just how much work has really been done on some of these posters online dealers are selling, I mean unless you are a true expert on such things and can spot what's been worked on or if you were actually "there" when the restoration work was done, how on earth would you ever know ???

I know of one seller who sends pretty much every poster they get in to a certain backing company in North America. I honestly do not understand why they do this.

Yes they must be getting a good deal from the company by sending so much stuff (I'd guess at least 75% of their stock is backed) but I had a discussion with them when they posed a question on a group I'm in.

To linen-back or not linen-back?

The majority in the group agreed that it's best to leave as is unless it was totally necessary. I've seen posters being sent there when they have no issues but have just been folded!

Then the price goes up for them to recoup that cost. Suddenly that poster you see normally retail for £75 is now £275 or higher.

I'm guessing the buyers are people who don't care about backing - seem to think it appreciates the value (again I've had many a discussion with people who tell me it appreciates the value!! Also they don't bother with research, a quick scan on the internet will see the same poster in unrestored excellent condition for half the price.

Could be deep pockets but I think it's more to do with how inexperienced the buyers are.

Marc

vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline splinter

• Beginner
« Reply #219 on: January 20, 2021, 07:35:50 PM »
Has anyone here used Chicago Poster Restoration (http://posterrestore.com) or The Art of Restoration (https://www.theartofrestoration.com) ?

I'm looking for a restorer in the Chicago area to avoid shipping dangers and be able inspect the restorers past work before I hand over expensive posters. 

And to inspect the completed work before I pay  ;)

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2021, 03:29:25 AM »
moved
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 03:32:48 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #221 on: January 20, 2022, 03:31:21 PM »
I know there is a split crowd here as far as linen backing goes. Recently I acquired a folded Gone With The Wind roadshow one sheet with the intent to display it for the rest of its life. I opted to have it backed to provide some added support for the rest of its life and to make it display very nicely.

I sent the poster to Mario at Lumiere restoration and I’m beyond pleased with the results. He’s done a hand full of posters in the past for me and I’ve never had a bad experience.

Just wanted to share the finished product!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2022, 12:04:02 PM »
I know there is a split crowd here as far as linen backing goes. Recently I acquired a folded Gone With The Wind roadshow one sheet with the intent to display it for the rest of its life. I opted to have it backed to provide some added support for the rest of its life and to make it display very nicely.

I sent the poster to Mario at Lumiere restoration and I’m beyond pleased with the results. He’s done a hand full of posters in the past for me and I’ve never had a bad experience.

Just wanted to share the finished product!

Looks fantastic, good choice to use Mario too...the best for the $ hands down.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2022, 12:24:45 PM »
Looks fantastic, good choice to use Mario too...the best for the $ hands down.

Agree 100%. I’ve always been blown away at how reasonable his pricing is compared to some of the competition out there.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2022, 10:34:55 PM »
Good ole Mario!  Looks great, Riley540.  Okie