Author Topic: What did you just watch?  (Read 907855 times)

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
Re: What did you just watch?
« Reply #3700 on: July 08, 2019, 02:20:46 AM »
The Manhunt 3/6 , dull italian cookie cutter crime  , just watched it cuz Paluzzi is in it (met her in Bpool UK , friendly).........no real  excitement and dull soundtrack

The hard way 4.5/6 , MJ Fox as actor who hangs out with cop

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #3701 on: July 12, 2019, 05:45:18 PM »
Revenge 4/6 , crime with Joan Collins

Bravados 3/6 , western........i didnt expect much but no real excitement imo

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3702 on: July 21, 2019, 10:55:25 PM »
Five Came Back (1939) via TCM.  Lucille Ball plays a lady of the evening! Besides being a very unrealistic representation about a plane crash in the Amazon with very clean clothes; Ball walking around in her heels; and, seemingly no suffering from bugs and the elements, I still really enjoyed the movie!  It was described as a B movie that performed like an A movie with audiences of the day.  Directed by John Farrow (yes, Mia's daddy and Maureen O'Sullivan's hubby) Spoiler: the ending certainly did ensure only five came back.  Okie

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3703 on: July 30, 2019, 07:37:32 PM »
Just finished watching the excellent Spanish season Money Heist. binged all 3 seasons in a week.

https://filmdaily.co/obsessions/money-heist-most-addictive-show-on-tv/

Now catching up with third series of of that other brilliant Spanish season, Vis a Vis (Locked Up). I just love the rage and humour in this series. Quite brilliant. FAr superior to Wentworth Prison.

https://www.entertainment-focus.com/tv-section/tv-news/walter-presents-locked-up-series-3-preview-a-violent-but-brilliant-drama/

If you haven't watched any of these Spanish epics - get watching!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3704 on: August 11, 2019, 09:22:00 PM »
This weekend I watched Manhunter and  To Live and die in LA shout factory blu and Millers Crossing.

All three fucking great films. MUST watches!

P.S. Love Shout Factory.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3705 on: August 11, 2019, 09:31:06 PM »
This weekend I watched Manhunter and  To Live and die in LA shout factory blu and Millers Crossing.

All three fucking great films. MUST watches!

P.S. Love Shout Factory.

Thanks for the recommendations, Zorba!  Okie

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3706 on: August 11, 2019, 09:56:37 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations, Zorba!  Okie

All three are well crafted and beautiful movies on blu ray.

I have always loved Millers Crossing but I love it even more today. Damn is it a GREAT film!

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3707 on: August 12, 2019, 02:01:04 PM »
Yesterday watched the recent film MIDSOMMAR from Ari Aster (Hereditary) it is brilliant, one of my favourites of the year! Check it out, particularly if you liked The Wicker Man.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #3708 on: August 12, 2019, 05:18:30 PM »
I'm very curious to watch Midsommar since I loved Hereditary.  I like the whole Wicker Man vibe from the trailer.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3709 on: August 12, 2019, 09:01:18 PM »
Yesterday watched the recent film MIDSOMMAR from Ari Aster (Hereditary) it is brilliant, one of my favourites of the year! Check it out, particularly if you liked The Wicker Man.

Wicker Man freaked me out when I was younger, though also was completely wacko!  Hmmm, maybe your recommendations, PA, should make me stick my toe in again!?  Okie

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3710 on: August 12, 2019, 10:08:31 PM »
I think you gotta go see it . It’s really great and one of the weirdest sex scenes you’ll ever see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3711 on: August 13, 2019, 07:28:31 PM »
Just come back from Apocalypse Now - Final Cut on the second biggest  imax screen in the UK (laser iMax) - it was amazing! Plus the Q&A with FFC was really interesting.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3712 on: August 18, 2019, 08:38:17 PM »
Just come back from Apocalypse Now - Final Cut on the second biggest  imax screen in the UK (laser iMax) - it was amazing! Plus the Q&A with FFC was really interesting.!

Does sound amazing.

Looking forward to it coming out to Final Cut coming out in 4k in a couple of weeks.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3713 on: August 27, 2019, 08:39:13 PM »
Just watched MIDSOMMAR for the second time. Amazing film - though realise it will not be everyone's cup of tea.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3714 on: August 27, 2019, 10:14:45 PM »
Just watched MIDSOMMAR for the second time. Amazing film - though realise it will not be everyone's cup of tea.

Is it free on one of the streaming services, PA?  I checked Netflix and Amazon.  Thanks, Okie

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3715 on: August 28, 2019, 07:05:10 AM »
Is it free on one of the streaming services, PA?  I checked Netflix and Amazon.  Thanks, Okie

Not that I know of yet, It's still out in the Cinemas in the UK and it's not a big film so no rush to get it out streaming..

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3716 on: August 28, 2019, 06:29:26 PM »
Not that I know of yet, It's still out in the Cinemas in the UK and it's not a big film so no rush to get it out streaming..

Okay, thanks for letting me know, PA.  Okie

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3717 on: August 29, 2019, 10:39:05 AM »
Once upon a time in Hollywood.

Style over substance.  Lovely style, to be sure.  But I spent a couple of hours wondering when it was going to start...  Really was not sure what to make of it.

Side point, the cinema had not one single poster or even banner.  This is in the UK.  No film imagery whatsoever.  Bunch of screen and trailers, bloody big bar that looked like a cross between a hotel bar and a sweet shop.  All very clean and professional, but really...!

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3718 on: August 30, 2019, 06:28:10 AM »
Which cinema was it?

I think it's great, a mature Tarantino for once, I thought it was a refreshing change from the normal Tarantino offerings, which 9 movies in, is about time for something different showing the man's talents.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3719 on: August 30, 2019, 06:55:40 AM »
Tarantino is an amazing sequence director.  Probably the best out there.  He's not always great at putting a movie together, but I think he did a great job here.  I was riveted from start to finish.  What sticks to me is the Brad Pitt/Manson ranch sequence.  Pure cinema in my book.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3720 on: August 30, 2019, 08:39:30 AM »
Which cinema was it?

I think it's great, a mature Tarantino for once, I thought it was a refreshing change from the normal Tarantino offerings, which 9 movies in, is about time for something different showing the man's talents.

UK Odeon Luxe - Maidenhead. 

But also been to the Cineworld in Bracknell.  Same deal.  Not a single solitary piece of paper or vinyl.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3721 on: August 30, 2019, 09:52:28 AM »
Same with my local Vue cinema - no paper anywhere. A shame.

I saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night. I found the time period detail a bit jarring at first (verging on OTT), but I soon got into it. I like how you're never quite sure where his films are going and although a lot of it seems quite superfluous, I was always interested in what was happening and it comes together quite nicely. I thought Di Caprio was good fun. Agree about the ranch sequence...quite tense.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3722 on: August 31, 2019, 06:13:10 AM »
Do they just use electronic poster displays now? I know a lot of cinemas have gone that way. It's a shame.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3723 on: August 31, 2019, 08:01:29 AM »
Screens showing trailers on loop.  No iconographic imagery at all.

Latterly, just before the latest Odeon revamp in all things Luxe, they had only vinyl banners in the main, and one or two 1 Sheets.

How long before paper is done away with altogether?

How long maybe, before representative art/photography of Any sort is required to sell a movie?

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #3724 on: August 31, 2019, 08:28:24 AM »
I went into the Vue Leicester Square hunting for a particular poster and it was the same thing. Huge screens everywhere, including screens that were bus shelter size displaying static poster images.

Interestingly when I asked about posters I did actually get some. The managaress said they still get sent lots of posters but have no way of displaying them anymore.