Author Topic: What did you just watch?  (Read 907739 times)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: What did you just watch?
« Reply #3625 on: September 04, 2018, 12:39:14 AM »
I think I am now officially the only person who has not watched Breaking Bad all the way thru.

We are a club of at least two, Zorba!  I watched the first episode and liked it.  Someday perhaps... Okie

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3626 on: September 25, 2018, 05:08:20 PM »
Seeing Daylight: The Photography of Dorothy Bohm (2018) on Amazon Prime.

Ms. Bohm has been recognized as one of the best street photographers in Britain, going back to the 1950s.  She is 94 years young and still creating exceptional work.

seeing , on Flickr

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3627 on: September 25, 2018, 05:21:42 PM »
Seeing Daylight: The Photography of Dorothy Bohm (2018) on Amazon Prime.

Ms. Bohm has been recognized as one of the best street photographers in Britain, going back to the 1950s.  She is 94 years young and still creating exceptional work.

seeing , on Flickr

Looks good, B.

I'm gonna be sure to check this out. Great recommendation.  8)

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3628 on: September 25, 2018, 10:42:42 PM »
I just saw "THE PROUD ONES" 1956. Nothing major, just a good solid western. Robert Ryan stars as a sheriff with worsening vision problems, Virginia Mayo as his concerned wife, Jeffrey Hunter as a callow youth, Arthur O'Connell as Ryan's milquetoast deputy, Walter Brennan as Ryan's old coot jail keeper, and Robert Middleton as the slippery villain. It's worth a look, plus Ryan never gave a bad performance.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3629 on: September 25, 2018, 11:15:30 PM »
I just saw "THE PROUD ONES" 1956. Nothing major, just a good solid western. Robert Ryan stars as a sheriff with worsening vision problems, Virginia Mayo as his concerned wife, Jeffrey Hunter as a callow youth, Arthur O'Connell as Ryan's milquetoast deputy, Walter Brennan as Ryan's old coot jail keeper, and Robert Middleton as the slippery villain. It's worth a look, plus Ryan never gave a bad performance.

Thanks for the recommendation, Cabman.  It has to have something good with Walter Brennan in it!  We watched with our kids last night Support Your Local Sheriff, and Brennan was great fun as the bad guy father.  James Garner, Jack Elam, Harry Morgan, and Bruce Dern are fun, too.  However, Joan Hackett is brilliant and the highlight of the movie.  Shame she died so young in real life.   Okie
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:18:55 PM by okiehawker »

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3630 on: October 12, 2018, 09:33:06 PM »
Watched The Cloverfield Paradox and thought at least one set of scenes later in the movie were worth watching.  I'll just refer to them as the "severed arm scenes", and leave it at that. Okie

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #3631 on: December 19, 2018, 11:43:49 AM »
i always try to watch this film at this time of year

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3632 on: December 19, 2018, 08:45:14 PM »
i always try to watch this film at this time of year

Is that Jack Lemmon in The Apartment, Redman?  Okie

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #3633 on: December 20, 2018, 05:38:16 AM »
Is that Jack Lemmon in The Apartment, Redman?  Okie

thumbup
it will be 60 years old soon. still great. will always be in my top 3
the scene where he tells her he knows everything about her cos he snooped the company records is a bit creepy nowadays.
nothing is perfect though ;)
this is my Japanese B2, great compared to US 1s!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3634 on: December 20, 2018, 09:55:39 PM »
thumbup
the scene where he tells her he knows everything about her cos he snooped the company records is a bit creepy nowadays.

Jack Lemmon was super talented, though I think Shirley MacLaine is pure magic!   Great Japanese poster, Redman!  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3635 on: January 27, 2019, 12:15:39 AM »
Eyes of Laura Mars (1978).  I last saw this movie about 40 years ago.  I liked it better today than in 1978 (even with some melodrama)!  It has a great theme song performed by Barbara Streisand (Prisoner) to open and close the movie. I'm a sucker for Faye Dunaway and really enjoy her acting.  I was surprised how many great actors I recognized more from their later work: Tommy Lee Jones, Renee Auberjonois, Raul Julia, Brad Dourif (starred in one of the greatest X Files episodes), and Michael Tucker. Yes, I know that's a list of all male actors.  On the ladies side, we get to see the actress Rose Gregorio (all too briefly), and Darlanne Fluegel (I really liked her on the TV shoe Wiseguy). It's hard to beat Faye Dunaway in The Thomas Crown Affair or Bonnie and Clyde, though I thought Eyes of Laura Mars is still enjoyable.  Okie

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3636 on: January 27, 2019, 05:18:57 AM »
Yesterday watched on the big screen at the cinema I work in the new 4k rerelease version of The Shawshank Redemption . Such a brilliant film - forgot just how good it was. Totally captivating especially when you haven't seen it for good few years. To see it in the cinema again in this glorious 4k restoration was a real treat. Loved it!! Just a pity the distributors don't seem to have done a poster for it - or at least I have not seen one this time around.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3637 on: January 27, 2019, 08:58:56 AM »
thumbup

TCM ran this a number of times recently. Such a good flick. It never gets old and with Billy Wilder at the helm, a good script and such a great cast, there certainly is no wonder why it upholds so well.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3638 on: January 27, 2019, 01:04:07 PM »
Yesterday watched on the big screen at the cinema I work in the new 4k rerelease version of The Shawshank Redemption . Such a brilliant film - forgot just how good it was. Totally captivating especially when you haven't seen it for good few years. To see it in the cinema again in this glorious 4k restoration was a real treat. Loved it!! Just a pity the distributors don't seem to have done a poster for it - or at least I have not seen one this time around.

You sure ain't kidding on Shawshank being brilliant, Poster Art!  I would sure enjoy seeing it again like you did.  I'm jealous.  Okie

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #3639 on: January 27, 2019, 06:28:15 PM »
^ and don't forget that posters were integral to the plot thumbup

last 2 days i watched The Ghost Breakers (1940) & Nothing But The Truth (1941), comedies starring Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard
it was the first time i have seen them, i laughed quite a lot

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3640 on: January 27, 2019, 10:24:47 PM »
^ and don't forget that posters were integral to the plot thumbup

last 2 days i watched The Ghost Breakers (1940) & Nothing But The Truth (1941), comedies starring Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard
it was the first time i have seen them, i laughed quite a lot

Great choices, Redman!  I need to watch those again with my kids.  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3641 on: January 27, 2019, 10:43:44 PM »
Jack Pierce, The Maker of Monsters (2015).  To me, it's an oddly, sometimes distractingly so, narrated documentary with lots of interesting facts about Pierce's career and life.  I didn't know he grew up as a goat herder etc.  Lots of great pictures and news articles are used.  The narrators read from some movie star interviews, though I longed for more sound/video of the actual  people talking about Jack Pierce (does it exist?). It was cool to see some zoomed in closeups of Pierce's work which further exhibited his amazing talent. We had the closed captioning on while we watched and in some places it was pretty darn funny what words came up in the interpretation.  I found the film useful, though I'm not sure a non-fan would be as interested.  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3642 on: February 02, 2019, 08:02:09 PM »
High Noon (1952).  Fantastic still today!  Strong performances by Gary Cooper, Katy Jurado, and Lloyd Bridges. Grace Kelly makes an early movie career turn as the marshal's young bride who struggles with "for better, for worse". I really enjoyed the incredible camera work in lovely black and white.  There's a very quiet (except harmonica) Lee Van Cleef; last minute recognizable cameo by Jack Elam; and some good mini-performances by Harry Morgan and Lon Chaney, Jr.  Hey, there's Thomas "Uncle Billy" Mitchell as the mayor as well.   Okie

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3643 on: February 04, 2019, 11:17:51 PM »
High Noon (1952).  Fantastic still today!  Strong performances by Gary Cooper, Katy Jurado, and Lloyd Bridges. Grace Kelly makes an early movie career turn as the marshal's young bride who struggles with "for better, for worse". I really enjoyed the incredible camera work in lovely black and white.  There's a very quiet (except harmonica) Lee Van Cleef; last minute recognizable cameo by Jack Elam; and some good mini-performances by Harry Morgan and Lon Chaney, Jr.  Hey, there's Thomas "Uncle Billy" Mitchell as the mayor as well.   Okie

An amazing film.

A must watch.

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3644 on: February 10, 2019, 07:50:39 PM »
Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse. Very cool animation style.
Witty signature goes here.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3645 on: February 10, 2019, 07:56:43 PM »
Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse. Very cool animation style.

Hi Pratschm, Do you think it's okay to watch for all ages?  Thanks, Okie

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3646 on: February 10, 2019, 08:20:26 PM »
Hi Pratschm, Do you think it's okay to watch for all ages?  Thanks, Okie

We took our 5 yr old daughter and she was fine with it. She's also seen things like Wreck-It Ralph, How to Train Your Dragon, Finding Nemo, etc, for some context.
There are some intense action sequences and some of the characters might look a little scary, but we went based on another parent's comments that it wasn't too bad and I would agree.
My wife actually liked it as well.

It's probably leaving theaters soon (released 12/14/18 in the US), so I'd catch it sooner than later. I also heard it was worth seeing on the big screen - I would agree with that comment as well.

Hope that helps.
Witty signature goes here.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3647 on: February 10, 2019, 09:13:31 PM »
Been watching a good number of flickers on TCM recently, with my Mom, whom I'm still seeing, back in the midwest.

Today was AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS with David Niven and a literal whose who from film and music, making cameos thru the film, the beautifully shot, Technicolor classic, LASSIE COMES HOME with Roddy McDowell and Elizabeth Taylor (had never seen it before now), and David Lean's epic -  A PASSAGE TO INDIA from 1984.

All wonderful viewing, beautiful cinematography, music, casting and overall production values, with film picked during their "31 Days of Oscar", prior to the Academy Awards.

-Jeff

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #3648 on: February 10, 2019, 11:37:27 PM »
Italian job remake 4.5/6

Klovn Forever 4.5/6

Sweet Dreams (Thiessen TV movie) 4/6

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3649 on: February 11, 2019, 12:02:44 AM »
We took our 5 yr old daughter and she was fine with it. She's also seen things like Wreck-It Ralph, How to Train Your Dragon, Finding Nemo, etc, for some context.
There are some intense action sequences and some of the characters might look a little scary, but we went based on another parent's comments that it wasn't too bad and I would agree.
My wife actually liked it as well.

It's probably leaving theaters soon (released 12/14/18 in the US), so I'd catch it sooner than later. I also heard it was worth seeing on the big screen - I would agree with that comment as well.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, vey helpful!  Okie